HybridZ

1973 240z front bumper

Hi everyone I finally got a 240z project! I plan to just slowly work on it and eventually have a very nice 240. First thing that I want to start work on is getting the bumpers to fit close to the body like the pre 73 z's. Ive been trying to search to find the answer to this but I keep on finding people wanting to know how to get convert the 280z bumpers to 240z bumpers. I took off the bumper and bracket from my car and was wondering if I will have to modify my brackets or if buying pre 73 brackets will work. There are these 2 vacant holes on the inside of where the headlight bucket is on both sides that are not being used it looks like this is where the earlier brackets could fit but im not sure. Also I know the side tabs on the 73 bumper I have will need to be cut off and moved forward more to mount on the fender in the same place. What else do I need to do? If anyone has a picture of how the early z bumper brackets mount onto the car that would be greatly appreciated

Edited by catfat

I didn't know the bumpers fit closer on pre 73. Are you sure that's right?

I think he is mistaken because the Pre 73 bumpers I believe actually wrap tighter and have the insets, so they don't have such a visible gap between the body. Maybe I am wrong so not saying this is true.

I guess he is right coz I've always noticed that my bumper is a bit extended... Note my car in my sig

Your car is so amazing! Its a great inspiration for what I want mine to become. Are those xxr 513 rims on the car? If so thats what I want to put on mine what size are they and tire size?

That's new for me, mine is a 260 with the nasty bumpers...

Did your car have shock absorbers in the bumpers?

Well not shock absorbers but the brackets are really big and heavy and at the end where it mounts to the bumper it has a piece of round tubing on each bracket. Also the brackets mount down to where the bottom of the radiator support is i think the earlier brackets don't mount there

"The brackets that are on the inside of the 73' bumpers are located differently from a series one bumper, which extends them away from the body as you have discovered. The over all side length of the earlier series 1 bumper is shorter and pulls in closer to the body. I have one of each and have put them side by side for a comparison."

^This is quoting Nelsonian from a thread about an issue I had fitting the '73 front bumper on my 280.

You might check Z Car Custom's Conversion Brackets. Not sure if they fit the 240 or not, but they allowed me to push my '73 bumper in as flush as it's gonna get. I cut off the side mount brackets and ran a bolt straight through, which brought the sides in closer.

"The brackets that are on the inside of the 73' bumpers are located differently from a series one bumper, which extends them away from the body as you have discovered. The over all side length of the earlier series 1 bumper is shorter and pulls in closer to the body. I have one of each and have put them side by side for a comparison."

^This is quoting Nelsonian from a thread about an issue I had fitting the '73 front bumper on my 280.

You might check Z Car Custom's Conversion Brackets. Not sure if they fit the 240 or not, but they allowed me to push my '73 bumper in as flush as it's gonna get. I cut off the side mount brackets and ran a bolt straight through, which brought the sides in closer.

Thanks for the info, I haven't been able to put up my bumper to the car close yet because I still haven't cut off the sidetabs but if the 73 bumper is different I think I might just end up buying those new stainless bumpers off of ebay since mine are pretty bent up and going to need a straightening and rechrome. Thanks everyone for their replys

If you get those stainless bumpers let us know how they work out! I've had my eyes on them also.

I will be sure to post something about them when I get them. Another reason I am thinking of getting them is that they look like they have less holes and don't have the ones for where the bumper guards go, and im not planning on putting my guards on I want more of the euro look so I hope they work out good.

I made the '74 260z front bumper that Black Dragon sells for $129.95 fit on my '71. More importantly I made them fit like their are supposed to fit and look good lol. When I saw how cheap BD is selling these bumpers I couldn't resist getting one and trying to see if it will fit. Basically the only difference I found is the location of the mounting holes. The profile is the same as early cars. I simply welded up some brackets that were short enough to hold them tight to the body. I'm sure you could do something similar on your '73 if you know how to weld. Even if you don't any welder could fabricate simple brackets like I made in no time. Sorry I don't have pics of the brackets off the car (I never thought about pics until I installed it) but these will give you an idea. I guess basically I'm saying the easiest solution to make bumpers sit closer to the body is to custom make the brackets. Seriously it isn't hard with some welding/fabricating practice.

post-10222-053563400 1282196876_thumb.jpg

post-10222-055794100 1282197011_thumb.jpg

post-10222-012870900 1282196991_thumb.jpg

I made the '74 260z front bumper that Black Dragon sells for $129.95 fit on my '71. More importantly I made them fit like their are supposed to fit and look good lol. When I saw how cheap BD is selling these bumpers I couldn't resist getting one and trying to see if it will fit. Basically the only difference I found is the location of the mounting holes. The profile is the same as early cars. I simply welded up some brackets that were short enough to hold them tight to the body. I'm sure you could do something similar on your '73 if you know how to weld. Even if you don't any welder could fabricate simple brackets like I made in no time. Sorry I don't have pics of the brackets off the car (I never thought about pics until I installed it) but these will give you an idea. I guess basically I'm saying the easiest solution to make bumpers sit closer to the body is to custom make the brackets. Seriously it isn't hard with some welding/fabricating practice.

Do they only sell them for 260z's? What about rear bumpers thats really cheap price a whole lot better than a grand for those stainless ones on ebay

Yea, there isn't one listed in their catalog for the 240z. Only '74 26oz. Also no rear bumper listed. I can't believe how good it looks for such a cheap price. Obviously made in china or some other cheap labor zone. I wouldn't be suprised if it starts rusting a lot sooner than a $1000 dollar bumper but I can buy a lot of these cheap bumpers for that kind of money.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Will that fit on a 1973 brackets?

HI, Don't mean to steer to far away from the stock bumper talk but I'm curious what you guys think of the aftermarket bumper/airdam? cast in one piece either fiberglass or plastic and who makes a good part. Prefere no bondo work.

thanks Dan

Dan, Motorsports Auto has a couple fiberglass models, Ive seen Steve & the guys at Z-Therapy use the "type 3" fiberglass bumper/airdam on both their race cars & personal cars & they fit/look great.