HybridZ

VLSD 3.7 R200

jacob80

Hey guys,

Right now, I have a VLSD R200 with CV shafts in my 240z and I know the CV shafts are specific to this rear end.

For good measure, I would like to have an extra rear end on hand, but I'm not sure how hard it would be considering these rear ends do not show up much.

My question is: will the internals from a short nose swap into this unit? I know the pinion on the long nose is longer, so if anything happened to the pinion, could I steal one from an open R200 from any 280z R200?

Also, what about my CV shafts? If the LSD unit were to go, and I wanted to replace them, would I have to get matching CV shafts again? (say I swapped in 300zx VLSD internals).

Just thinking for the future. Thanks guys!

Depending on what axles you are using just about any VLSD will swap in provided it is the correct spline & diamter. The only other thing would be to swap your ring & pinion onto the VLSD, shortnose ones are not compatible for obvious reasons.

On a side note I have an 88 Shiro VLSD which I would be willing to part with for a reasonable amount.

Hey guys,

Right now, I have a VLSD R200 with CV shafts in my 240z and I know the CV shafts are specific to this rear end.

For good measure, I would like to have an extra rear end on hand, but I'm not sure how hard it would be considering these rear ends do not show up much.

My question is: will the internals from a short nose swap into this unit? I know the pinion on the long nose is longer, so if anything happened to the pinion, could I steal one from an open R200 from any 280z R200?

Also, what about my CV shafts? If the LSD unit were to go, and I wanted to replace them, would I have to get matching CV shafts again? (say I swapped in 300zx VLSD internals).

Just thinking for the future. Thanks guys!

The ring gear and pinion gear are considered a matched set. Although you can physically swap pinion gears you will most likely wear down the gears very quickly.

The ring gear and pinion gear are considered a matched set. Although you can physically swap pinion gears you will most likely wear down the gears very quickly.

So in other words, don't mix and match ring and pinions, correct?

So in the unfortunate case that my LSD goes ka-put, I could find one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/300ZX-VLSD-Differential-rear-end-92-93-94-95-96-Z32-OEM-/150468191910?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories

and tear the LSD out and bolt my ring to it and go? If this is true, that would be AWESOME! BUT, I need to find some CV axles as well, just to have on hand. Is there any interchangeability (<is that a word!?) as far as the Z31 VLSD CV axles? I know that they are specific to the splines of the unit. Thats what I'm worried about. Would my CV axles spline into a Z32 unit (check link)?

So in other words, don't mix and match ring and pinions, correct?

So in the unfortunate case that my LSD goes ka-put, I could find one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/300ZX-VLSD-Differential-rear-end-92-93-94-95-96-Z32-OEM-/150468191910?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories

and tear the LSD out and bolt my ring to it and go? If this is true, that would be AWESOME! BUT, I need to find some CV axles as well, just to have on hand. Is there any interchangeability (<is that a word!?) as far as the Z31 VLSD CV axles? I know that they are specific to the splines of the unit. Thats what I'm worried about. Would my CV axles spline into a Z32 unit (check link)?

You really need to carefully read the LSD sticky.