HybridZ

digital boost gauge-what is good?

randy 77zt

any recommendations?i have a 10 year old autometer in the clock spave in my 77.having a passenger watching my laptop and reading the vipec ecm data shows the boost gauge to be very far behind in what my engine is really doing.my idea would be a fully electronic gauge using a map sensor.the outputs on the vipec do not support a boost gauge.anybody know of anything that would work?

• 2 weeks later...

i personally like mechanical boost gauges for the sole reason its mechanical. You get better and more accurate readings from the vacuum and you don't have to worry about if its connected right. Its reliable and cheaper than a digital one. just my 2 cents

Says who? You can get very accurate readings with an electric (either digital or analog) gauge. It is simply a MAP sensor hooked up to a vacuum source that is connected to the manifold. The MAP sensor connects to the gauge with a harness that has two plugs, one for the gauge and one for the sensor. There is nothing to screw up. You need a ground, ignition hot and dash light source. That's it.

Bo, what about the boost readings from your Wolf V500? My mechanical gauges says 10 psi when my Wolf dash display says 5.4-6 psi. (sorry for the thread hijack)

Says who? You can get very accurate readings with an electric (either digital or analog) gauge. It is simply a MAP sensor hooked up to a vacuum source that is connected to the manifold. The MAP sensor connects to the gauge with a harness that has two plugs, one for the gauge and one for the sensor. There is nothing to screw up. You need a ground, ignition hot and dash light source. That's it.

LOL...my LMA-3 auxbox hasn't worked for 2 years. During the painting the wires were pulled out of the front. Before that, it stopped reading AFRs. Wiring into the box is the same. I plan to test and re-calibrate the wideband 02 sensor next week. But those wires on the front of the box...a mystery....

Are you sure your mechanical gauge is accurate? What does your LMA-3 auxbox say?

I think both mechanicals and electrical have there days Try getting a cheapo mechanical boost gauge and see what it says comparing between the two. Even better is hdi boost gauge.

moth mechanical and digital read out. If you have their boost controllers they need no wiring it plugs right in there. I have the EBC and was thinking of getting this gauge but opted against it

How do you like the Vipec system?