HybridZ

MSA 6AL+MSA tach adapter & still no tach?

30 ounce

Late 260 with stock 260 distributor. I hooked up the MSD to the magnetic pickup in the distributor and the MSD 6AL seems to work fine. I ordered the 8920 adaptor and hooked it up per the instructions but I'm not sure wich wires drive the tack. I have a black with green stripe and a black with blue stripe and a solid blue that were all connected to the original ballast resistor wich has now been removed. I connected the purple wire (tack drive) from the MSD 8920 to the solid blue wire and the tack just barely moves off 0 when I rev the engine.

Hi MikeyZee! I saw that post but the wire colors don't make any sense as my colors are completey different. I have a black wire with green stripe a solid blue wire and black with blue stripe. I was in Parker last weekend with my Z!! Would love some help if you got time!!

Is your 260 an EFI or carb? If it's EFI here is a link on a previous post http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/17205-msd-6btm/page__p__125166__hl__%2Bmsd6a+%2B8920__fromsearch__1#entry125166 Check out the link in there with the hand written diagram. Also if you need the FSM it is available here. http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html They have all the factory wiring diagrams. Not sure about the 260 but on my son's 240z which has a different tach it was a little different.

Edited by MikeyZee

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I thought I had this fixed. The tach works but sometimes goes crazy. Sometimes when I rev to 3000 rpm's the tack goes all over the place. Strangely, if I turn the parking or headlights on it will work flawlessly!! Do I need to put a risistor in line?

When you say all over the place, does the needle bounces up to a higher RPM than the actual one, or does it bounce between zero and the actual RPM?

If it bounces between zero and the current RPM, then the tach signal is too weak, if it bounces all over the place there is something wrong with the duty cycle of the trigger signal (unlikely in your setup) or the signal is too strong and confuses the input stage of the tach. This should not happen with a tach adapter, though.

Turning on the parking lights does not change the cars voltage so much that it would have an effect, this sounds rather like a wiring problem or issue with the alternator/regulator. Could you measure the cars main voltage while idling and also when the tach stops functioning?

• 3 weeks later...

It actually bounces from 0-8000 rpm's. I suspected it had something to do with the charging circuit. My ammeter guage seams to randomly charge or discharge and it seammed to act up when it was slightly to the positive. mM battery doesn't always get fully charged. Guess it's time to upgrade the alternator and get rid of that external regulator.