HybridZ

Where to find R200 Shims?

Cable

Hey guys, I am having my buddy Jay setup my R200 with an OBX. When putting everything back together the backlash is measuring 0.002" (way too tight) and the manual says between .005-.007".

Anyone know where to find shims other than tearing into another diff to harvest them?

Thanks!!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You should be able to get a differential shim set for similar size bearings from something common and have it work fine. Most likely a Dana 30 or Dana 35 but possibly a Dana 44. You just need to know the OD of the bearing race for the carrier bearing, and the OD of the pinion shaft bearing and ID of the pinion shaft and  you could cross reference.

Once the diff is apart, it would be easy to find at a drivetrain shop or even calling somebody like Randy's Ring & Pinion to order. The Dana info is all over the web.

A very early 12 bolt diff shim set ('65 passenger car) might be ideal for carrier shims, but I haven't had an R200 apart in a long time to remember exactly. When I did my Precision Gear LSD, I didn't disturb the pinion depth. I checked backlash before and after using the stock shims and it didn't move so I didn't need any additional shims. I have a ton left over from doing 4x4 gear installs, but didn't write down or compare at that time what would be best for the R200.