HybridZ

Ign rotor for COP signal?

jkupp2000

Hey guys I'v been looking at how to do COP on my 81 280zx. I like that some are using the damper with a ring on it but that removes the AC belt and in some cases the relocation of the ALT. I'v been throwing around the idea of a smaller ring in place over the ignition rotor. Would that work???

Thanks for all the help.

Oh and I now alot of people like 2-60 air (two windows down 60mph) but I like the AC when its 100 plus degrees. :D

Hey guys I'v been looking at how to do COP on my 81 280zx. I like that some are using the damper with a ring on it but that removes the AC belt and in some cases the relocation of the ALT. I'v been throwing around the idea of a smaller ring in place over the ignition rotor. Would that work???

Thanks for all the help.

Oh and I now alot of people like 2-60 air (two windows down 60mph) but I like the AC when its 100 plus degrees. :D

Anyone?

You are pretty much semi-defeating trhe purpose of COP by utilizing the distributor. - slop in the distributor and drive gears...

Several people that have utilized SDS systems and I'm sure everyone that has the Electomotive systems utilize the Electromotive hall sensor and put magnets in the back of the damper.

I'm not saying to use that sensor and system - it is wasted spark and requires 3 magnets for cylinder TDC events and one magnet on a different radius for the #1 cylinder TDC event - please note that if you rely only on a crank sensor you HAVE to use wasted spark and connot have true sequential COP - or fueling for that matter.

MS_E requires something like a missing tooth wheel setup which EDIS and other gear on damper systems you've seen here are.

At a minimum you would want 5 magnets, 12 would be better and 23 or 35 even better.

This is basically duplicating a missing tooth wheel - only utilizing a hall sensor.

Pallnet makes a mounting bracket for hall sensors on the L28.

Now you won't get COP sequential ignition with only a missing tooth system on the crank. - you could if it were on the cam. This means that you would have to go wasted spark - which you can certainly do with COP type coils.

You could take the signal for TDC on the #1 cylinder from the distributor if you wanted to, or find a way to put a magnet on the cam gear and another hall sensor in the valve cover and go true COP sequential ignition.