HybridZ

What is/should be swappable from my 78 280 to my 71 240?

So i made a post a little while ago telling about what happened to my 280... http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/93668-introduction-my-z-life/page__p__883607#entry883607

But i still have it. And I'm wondering what parts (besides the obvious interior cause its all destroyed) would be worth my time to swap over from the 280 to the 240. I've heard the r200 rear diff would be smart, i am a LITTLE worried about it being locked up from the flood but maybe its okay. How about brakes? master brake cylinder? etc. Because as far as brakes go, i need to replace them anyways, and i remember my 280 ones being in good condition... even suspension components. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much!

ian

Some things will swap over, and are even considered upgrades, but some things are not a direct swap, depending on the year. To ask for a comprehensive list is a little much. Try searching around for 240z upgrades using 280 parts. There's a lot of information in the forum regarding that.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

The doors and the internals of the doors are NOT interchangeable at all!

Bumpers, dash, taillights and EFI can be swapped, but require a little ingenuity. Of course the wiring become more complex for the newer cars, so using harnesses and bits of any harness is not direct plug and play. Most of everything else can be transferred, or at least being as you have both cars in possession, it should become plainly obvious if a part can or can not swap over just by looking at it or trying it. If you have mechanical aptitude, don't be afraid to dive right in and find out yourself.

Do keep in mind, this forum is an extreme performance Z car forum, hence the name HybridZ, not really a Z car 101 forum nor a replacement for a shop manual. Getting comfortable with the Haynes manual, (or whatever shop manual you have for your cars) and then tearing into both your Z cars will take you along way towards learning on your own what can and cannot be swapped over, then when you get a stumbling block, we'll be here. :wink: