HybridZ

Opinions on an S30 I'm looking at

Well, I've owned a few Z31s and modified and made my own parts and whatnot. I used to work for a speed shop for a few years, and I have a TIG, just to give you an idea of my background. I've also had a couple early S30 shells that I ended up selling since once I tore them down they were too much rust for me to deal with.

Anyway, I've been lurking around waiting for a good shell to come around to put a VG30ET in, but then decided that I should just fork over the money and get a good solid S30 from the get-go and skip a lot of the restoring part.

So, finally, I looked at a '78 last weekend:

It's auto, decent interior, pristine seats. Battery tray is just surface rust, wheel wells are fine. Back of the hatch is fine, rear bumper has some rust on the little bumper lip thing, and the driver's side door has rust bubbling through paint. The worst is the driver's frame rail just behind the firewall. The bottom of it is gone, but the sides and the top are fine. I can weld that back up.

It's been repainted and they didn't do a great job of prepping, so there are some rust bubbles here and there. But nothing a little sand and repaint couldn't fix. I checked out the car pretty thoroughly.

Mechanically, everything works. A/C, whatnot. Bushings are worn, there's an oil leak from the pan. Nothing I really care about. I'm not a big fan of the L series; it won't be in there for long.

So he wants $3000, I tried to get him down to $2600, but we stopped at $2800.

So, is he asking too much? I've seen 4 other S30s recently, it seems he's a few hundred over. This one's the best I've seen. Now, I have a feeling if I showed up with 2700 he would probably let it go. I intend on doing exactly that, unless someone here thinks I can do better on the price, or that the frame rail damage should mark it down a bit more.

post-1233-013477700 1282667442_thumb.jpg

post-1233-040776000 1282667442_thumb.jpg

post-1233-067798500 1282667442_thumb.jpg

post-1233-095742500 1282667442_thumb.jpg

Edited by BLOZ UP

But yours doesn't have louvers...

Which is exactly why I want to sell it B)

The black car looks good and it has all those extra speakers that young guys think they have to have lol.

edit:

You should just buy ZR8ED's car and be happy.

Edited by Mikez31ss

Which is exactly why I want to sell it B)

The black car looks good and it has all those extra speakers that young guys think they have to have lol.

edit:

You should just buy ZR8ED's car and be happy.

I'm going to do things a little differently.

I would be wary of the rust bubbles depending on where they were.

I thought I could fix a couple rust bubbles and ended up replacing 50% of my quarter panel.

If your seeing rust bubbles and it just happens to be on bondo then you may as well remove every bit of the filler, because it will never stop bubbling.

Well, I got a 280Z. Just a different one.

Original paint. No real rust worries. Stored for 15 years and looks like it. Way better than the other one I originally posted about. This was also $2,300. Runs, drives, and the A/C works. Fender was replaced and repainted, "Guess which one".

The only thing I don't like (besides the yellow color, which I can forgive since it's from the 70s), is the moon roof.

post-1233-089627100 1282850596_thumb.jpg

post-1233-045518400 1282850598_thumb.jpg

post-1233-036403000 1282850599_thumb.jpg

post-1233-069347400 1282850600_thumb.jpg

Edited by BLOZ UP

You can paint that car whatever color you want its your car, but the Datsun purist's will find you haha.

This is true. To be honest with you I don't give a lick if he paints it what he wants. Its his car, just like my car is my car. I am by no means a purist. I just think the ZAPP paint is cool and kinda unique. Its very 70's and I like it. Cool find in my opinion.

Kinser

ive seen that car around, a guy in my city actually was selling it about 6months or so ago, was going to buy it from him for 1k and do exactly what the last guy did lol some cheap fixes to get it running and BAM profit, still a good price though especially for the ZZAPPPP edition, i would hope you keep it the same color/scheme as it is halfway important to the z gods, but to each his own.

Possible parts car source for you:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1923919357.html

Maybe he has some louvers :P

So the black one in Shreveport has frame rail rust? It's posted on the Austin CL for some reason. Says "no rust"...

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1925334188.html

I think I'm going to start seriously trying to sell mine now. I need a 280 or a z31.

Edited by Mikez31ss

Possible parts car source for you:

http://dallas.craigs...1923919357.html

Maybe he has some louvers :P

So the black one in Shreveport has frame rail rust? It's posted on the Austin CL for some reason. Says "no rust"...

http://austin.craigs...1925334188.html

I think I'm going to start seriously trying to sell mine now. I need a 280 or a z31.

This car doesn't need parts.

What's wrong with the one you have? I've sourced some louvers locally.

I have an 88 that I'll sell you. Interior's decent, exterior looks crappy. Oh, but it won't have the drivetrain...

Edited by BLOZ UP