HybridZ

RB Buying Advice

Nismo_Gizmo

After searching and prowling, I didn't find any good threads on where to buy an RB here in the states. Maybe some of you have had good or bad experiences with engine sellers, advice on specific questions to ask, or know of good ways to ship. I think it would help a lot of people out if we made this a thread on RB buying advice.

Thanks!

(In my case I am looking for a rb25det with rwd transmission to go into my S30)

My set came from Venus in Sacramento CA. All RB25 motors should come with the RWD tranny. Only the RB26 had the AWD tranny if I recall correctly. One thing to look out for is the RB20 Tranny. Some places will sell the RB25 with a RB20 tranny and not tell you. Be sure to check the tranny before hand if possible to make sure you're getting a RB25 tranny and not the weaker RB20 one. Just a heads up

Another thing is compression check. If possible, do the compression check yourself. You know how it is, they add ATF and then do the compression test which actually ends up higher than OEM specs. They hope no one notices and some don't know any better.

Edited by Midnight-280Z

I also purchased my Series 1 RB25DET from Venus in Sacramento. Any compression check is better than none. About all you get from a 'wet' compression check is an idea of consistency. If one number is substantially higher (correct me if I am wrong) you may have a problem in that cylinder. You need to know what the factory compression is before walking through the door or calling on the phone. I believe that number for the Series 1 is 173 psi.

Also, the condition of the other parts is very important. I got sent home with a crushed intercooler, b/c Venus claimed that was all they had, BS, if you ask me. I later realizecd the MAF housing had a crack in it. My wiring harness was a bit hammered also. Things to look for, check everything if you can.

Good Hunting

Bonk

Would this be a waste of money for installing a FMIC in the S30 chassis? Is it more economical to just

get your own piping and cut it with a band saw, and have it welded by a shop? Also buying a pipe beader

when needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12PCS-TURBO-PIPING-KIT-240SX-240Z-280Z-RB25DET-RB20DET-/270620954289?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f02440eb1#ht_3520wt_1264

I fabed up all my intercooler piping but I have all the tools to do the job correctly. Get yourself the intercooler and some 45,90 degree and some j bends and some straight cuts and go to town. It's really not that hard. I maybe have 50.00 in my piping if that.

Edited by pat1

I looked at Venus but they seem to be a little more expensive than others. I was thinking about buying this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-RB25DET-R33-5SPEED-ENGINE-240SX-180SX-SWAP-SKYLINE-/250690114219?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5e4b92ab#ht_1190wt_1166

Its $1799 shipped!

What do you all think?

After checking with Ron at Venus and looking at the engines available and pricing them out I decided to pass. I was living in Sacramento 2 years ago when I purchased my RB25. I ended up buying everything I needed from the donor through JhotImports out of Denton Tx. for much less than Venus Auto. I recieved engine, un-cut harness, ECU, all sensors, all intercooler piping with intercooler, Fuel pump w/sender, partial engine bay harness for alt etc, driveshaft, correct transmission, and full intake including filter box. The engine had obviously been well transported and stored in a dry place(not all rusty/oxidized) and was not covered in armor-all/tire shine.

This LIST should be copied and added to as a sticky here in this forum.

NicoClub "where did you get yours?"

4 pages of good responses. There was one here on Hybridz, but I cannot find it either.

I paid

$1673 for the engine set

and ~$350 for shipping to a residential California address.

I have had nothing but GREAT customer service from Jhot. Every once in a while they can be hard to reach via phone for a day, but they have always returned my calls and gone the EXTRA mile to keep me happy. Unfortunately they do not always have RB engines and seam to be struggling to make ends meet lately. Ive noticed they closed they're SC shop and cut back their hours operation to appointment only "no walk ins".

Venus was $2100 with RB20 trans and $2500 with correct trans 2 years ago. Ron can be a great guy if you catch him on the right day!

I looked at Venus but they seem to be a little more expensive than others. I was thinking about buying this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-RB25DET-R33-5SPEED-ENGINE-240SX-180SX-SWAP-SKYLINE-/250690114219?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5e4b92ab#ht_1190wt_1166

Its $1799 shipped!

What do you all think?

"jdm_planet" is reselling Osaka engines. They pretend to be their own shop until you get the shipping info and the motor is shipped directly from Osaka. My engine showed up with a cut harness and no MAF, boost sensor, or boost solenoid. The engine cover was pretty messed up and the spark plug holes were filled to the top with water. Just figured out the other day that the non-functional MAF they sent me (after another $65) is actually an N62 with an E60 connector swapped onto it. The $300ish I saved by buying a cheaper swap has turned into at least $500 of headache. Remember, warranty is only as good as the seller's word. They can always make up some BS excuse to cover their a$$. "The harness is supposed to be cut there" "We always charge extra for MAF" ...

Try not to buy one from Canada. I ordered one from there only to wait weeks while the engine was stuck in customs, then they seized it for some reason. I got my money back, but it was a big waist of time. It was a super clean series II with low miles I was bummed.

Edited by 240adam

Try not to buy one from Canada. I ordered one from there only to wait weeks while the engine was stuck in customs, then they seized it for some reason. I got my money back, but it was a big waist of time. It was a super clean series II with low miles I was bummed.

Where did you finally buy the one that you have now?

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar experience, except I got my engine with everything yeah after weeks and weeks I got a Neo RB25 5 speed un-cut harness ecu etc... after inspecting it myself I notice a tiny hair line crack on the middle of the block I had a 60 day warranty so I returned it and got my money back. I forgot the sight since it's been almost 2 years since I was bummed was going in my S130 : (

Had a similar experience buying from a

Canadian company, except I got my engine with everything yeah after weeks and weeks I got a Neo RB25 5 speed un-cut harness ecu etc... after inspecting it myself I notice a tiny hair line crack on the middle of the block I had a 60 day warranty so I returned it and got my money back. I forgot the website but it's been almost 2 years since, I was bummed out though it was going in my S130 : (

I will add a lot of people here in southern Oregon that I know buy there engines at Venus auto never had problems.

Edited by 280zx@541

I looked at Venus but they seem to be a little more expensive than others. I was thinking about buying this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_1190wt_1166

Its $1799 shipped!

What do you all think?

IF that's the actual one you get from them, that looks to be a nice cond. motorset...

Make sure they guarantee its the one shown!