HybridZ

fuel line help LS1

I've got a 98 camaro LS1 in the z and am running an in tank GM pump. I've purchased aluminum 1/4" ID line from summit and need to connect this all. I have never messed with fuel lines or fittings. First off, do I need a return line, there is not one in the camaro. Also, what fitting can I use to attach the aluminum fuel line to the fuel rail? Willing to use HP rubber lines from the fuel rail also, whatever makes the most sense. Finally, what fitting do I need to go from the aluminum fuel line to the standard GM fitting on the fuel sending unit? I'm lost.

THANKS

1/4" line seems small. My Z has 5/16" from the factory....

The stock pickup on your Camaro tank should have 3 nipples. Output (3/8"), return (3/8"), and vapor (5/16"). I used most of Z's original fuel line. I bought some quick connect fittings from Napa that adapt from the stock 3/8" (outlet and return) on the pickup to allow use of a 5/16" barb. I used two small lengths of 5/16" Goodyear fuel injection rubber fuel to bridge the gap between the pickup and the stock Z hard lines using 5/16" fuel injection clamps.

Up front I am running a stock LS1 intake/fuel rail and flipped the fuel rail so the input is on the passenger side to avoid having to plumb everything to the drivers side.

Edited by Cable

Thanks Cable. The sending unit is actually from some sort of GM car or truck. I will be using a HB walboro in tank pump that just replaces the gm low pressure pump. I did the same thing when I put the LT1 into my truck. Anyhow, the fuel rail on the LS1 does not have a return line, I guess Camaro didn't use a return? What connector did you connect to the fuel rail? Right now it has the factory fitting that uses the special tool to remove.

The LS1 F-Body gas tanks have build in regulators. I didnt know that and I plumbed in a '02 Corvette filter/regulator in the engine bay and used the existing Datsun fuel lines for the feed and return to the tank.

The weird fuel fittings are commonly called 'quick connects' and they do need a special tool, but the tool is less than $10 atbthe local AutoZone. I usually buy quick connectors that are adapters with barbed ends for use with fuel injection rubber hose. Those fittings are about $5 each at Napa.

The 'return' doesn't come from the engine bay. On the Camaro the pressure lines comes out of the tank to a filter, then T's and goes forward to the engine and back to the tank. This back to the tank lines I think feeds the in-tank regulator in parallel with the engine feed. My only reasoning here is they want the regulator flow to be filtered?? I used this tee, filter, lines, etc from the Camaro.

Cameron

Gotcha. Ok I'm going to just use the quick connect with the barbs for the HP rubber lines to connect to. A few more questions. Is there a barb fitting that will connect to my aluminum 1/4" ID fuel line with threads or something? I don't have a flare tool or know which one to purchase. Also, do I need a new fuel rail that has a return line or something?

1/4" line seems small. My Z has 5/16" from the factory....

The stock pickup on your Camaro tank should have 3 nipples. Output (3/8"), return (3/8"), and vapor (5/16"). I used most of Z's original fuel line. I bought some quick connect fittings from Napa that adapt from the stock 3/8" (outlet and return) on the pickup to allow use of a 5/16" barb. I used two small lengths of 5/16" Goodyear fuel injection rubber fuel to bridge the gap between the pickup and the stock Z hard lines using 5/16" fuel injection clamps.

Up front I am running a stock LS1 intake/fuel rail and flipped the fuel rail so the input is on the passenger side to avoid having to plumb everything to the drivers side.

Cable, I haven't read much about flipping the fuel rail but it seems like a very clean solution to avoid having to run fuel lines to the driver's side. This might be a dumb question but was it fairly easy to flip the rail around? Anything I should watch out for if I were to do this? My plan is to run a corvette FPR by the fuel tank and run one fuel line coming all the way up to the engine bay. If I can avoid having more hoses snaking around in there that'd make for a really nice looking install.

Nothing special to flip the fuel rail. If you have truck coils (like I do) you will have to do a slight bend on the inlet tube to clear one of the coils, but that is nothing.

Leaving the Corvette regulator/filter in the back is the smart choice, its how I do all my swaps now for customers, but my Z was sort of a test platform for several things related to LSx swaps for me.

My '77 has a '98 Camaro LS1 in it. It was the JCI prototype. It has a stock tank with an external pump mounted in the same location as the original pump from the Z although upsized for the LS1. It also used the original Z supply and return fuel lines. I believe they are AN8 & 6. I haven't messed with that in years now. Both lines run to a filter regulator on the passenger side of the engine mounted high on the firewall. Email me directly if you would like a photo.