HybridZ

FEELER: Z-Series LED Tail Light Conversion

FEELER: Z-Series LED Tail Light Conversion

:rolleyes:

Hey everyone. I’m new to the site so I hope I’m posting this in the correct section.

Anyway, I just put an LED taillight kit together for a guy with a 260. He seemed to really like them so I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to make a standardized kit and sell them on here as a sponsored vendor.

Each kit would come with 4 LED circuit boards, stainless hardware, splice connecters, and install instructions.

His was a 260, but I think it would also fit a 240 and maybe a 280 as well. I would be willing to send someone a set to try them out though. ;)

Any input would be great!

Thanks,

Brad

z1-1.jpg

day.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edbkZSGE5TQ

Edited by BADMAB

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your kit looks nice and a lot less hassle than the route I took on my 280z. The question is how much will it cost and want is the life expectance of the LEDs? Are you running the LEDs at the right mA so they will last 50,000 hours and how does the intensity change when braking and turning compared to the running lights? What is the mcd or lumens of the LEDs you are using so we can get a ideal of how bright they will be?

Your kit looks nice and a lot less hassle than the route I took on my 280z. The question is how much will it cost and want is the life expectance of the LEDs? Are you running the LEDs at the right mA so they will last 50,000 hours and how does the intensity change when braking and turning compared to the running lights? What is the mcd or lumens of the LEDs you are using so we can get a ideal of how bright they will be?

I've tried to make it as straight forward as possible. :D The kits typically go for $80/pr, but since you would be buying 2 pair the price would drop $11, making the final price $149 (including a lifetime warranty and shipping). We are able to offer a lifetime warranty because we use top shelf components including automotive grade LEDs instead of appliance grade like a lot of manufacturers, but to answer your question the LEDs have been tested up to 11 years, running continuously. They have a 7 to 1 ratio between the running lights and tail/turn. I will have to look up the specs of this particular LED.

Interested if price is right. Is this a DIY kit or do you do it?

As it is now, it is a DIY. I put together a detailed set of instructions. But if you don't feel comfortable installing them I wouldn't mind doing it if you sent them to me: it would just be that much longer before you had them on the car.

What is the benifit of going this route vs switching out to LED bulbs using the existing sockets?

If you go with that type of LED conversion you will typically be replacing them every 1-2 years because of the lower grade of materials they use. Plus, ours are guaranteed for life, not 30 days or less. Also, you will still have a hot spot in the center of the lens which you would not have if you go with a kit that is on a printed circuit board like this one.

Are you also making the lower lights in yellow/amber? My Z is fitted with clear lenses so I would need yellow LED's for the lower lenses. LED conversions should not have any heat issues due to the low amperage nature of the LED's. Will your kit require a change in the flasher unit under the dash too?

Phar

Are you also making the lower lights in yellow/amber? My Z is fitted with clear lenses so I would need yellow LED's for the lower lenses. LED conversions should not have any heat issues due to the low amperage nature of the LED's. Will your kit require a change in the flasher unit under the dash too?

Phar

I could make them with amber LEDs. You would just need to let me know upon ordering.

Nope, no heat issues: they actually run A LOT cooler than bulbs.

Most of the time you would not need an electronic flasher because most guys have regular size bulbs up front for a turn signal which draws enough current to trip the older flasher. If you were to need one though I have one available that I sell at cost ($10 shipped).

Any better pictures? Maybe possibly in the daytime? Turn signals have yellow LED's for the clear turn signal people?

I just added a daytime pick to the OP.

Yes, we can make any of the kits with amber LEDs if you request them upon ordering.