HybridZ

Ressurection and Build of my 280zx

akumazedex

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 10th Ann has been decommissioned a long time ago. Frame was beyond any help. I'm getting the digital cluster sometime this week so I'll be installing that as well as changing the color of the display to something else besides green.. Well see how that goes. That'll be posted up when it's done

• 2 weeks later...

Grids was almost in impulse buy.. And I was having a slightly hard time finding something nice on a budget.. Eventually I'll get something better but it's good for now. Boost gauge I'll probably replace with something nicer on the A-Pillar.. But in due time. The prosport one is crap anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the oil lines came in yesterday, the feed doesn't seem long enough tho... Oh well eBay, what can you expect? Also, I picked up a set of strut tubes/hubs so I can finally get my car lower.. I'm gonna go with a set of coilover sleeves and springs. That will be late next week or maybe even the week after.. But in the mean time I can prep the struts, cut the perches off and clean them up.. Can you believe they were $140 at pick n pull? Dayumn!! Anyways.. I'll post up some pics an junk later after work.

So heres the ebay oil lines i got.

post-4347-099116600 1288594658_thumb.jpg

Also the struts i got, and the result after i cut the perches of to put the sleeves

post-4347-010581600 1288594814_thumb.jpg

post-4347-059080100 1288594907_thumb.jpg

also i had an epic win at pick-n-pull today. picked up digital cluster and gauges with the dash harness, also replaces my horribly oxidized rear view mirror.

post-4347-077230000 1288595055_thumb.jpg

plugged the harness in and voilla!! it works!

post-4347-090413600 1288595157_thumb.jpg

Excuse the crappy Iphone photos :)

na, jus gonna go with the sleeves with my tokicos. Yeah, the struts were a bit rediculous but ehh. no idea on spring rates, gonna mock up a set of some generic sleeves i can get from the local shop, if that works i'll get something more precise, probably ground control. I have to figure out whats the lowest i can put the perch before i rub my wheel on it.. I finally got tired and want to drop it lol. Plus this way is much cheaper than s13 coilover swap.. not all of us here are rich hahaha.. just a thought, i think i need hub spacers if im gonna go lower..

Edited by battlesquaddatsun

I finally got around to swapping my gauges today, heres how it went..

To start of, heres the before.. stock analog gauges

100_3329.jpg

100_3330.jpg

Its easier to get the cluster out if you drop the steering wheel, two bolts on the column.

100_3331.jpg

Once you get the 4 screws holding the cluster in place out and disconnect the spedo this is what youll have left

100_3333.jpg

Next youll need to remove the radio console 4 bolts on each side

100_3335.jpg

Youll need to detach the climate control from the dash, not necessary to remove it tho

100_3335.jpg

now the fun stuff, unbolting the dash, theres 4 bolts on the bottom and 4 screws under beauty covers in top

100_3336.jpg

100_3337.jpg

100_3338.jpg

slowly start to wiggle the dash free making sure to detach any connectors in the precess carefully

100_3339.jpg

and voila!

100_3340.jpg

heres the dash with the harness still attached

100_3341.jpg

and heres what were doing, swapping in digital cluster and turbo gauge pod

100_3342.jpg

heres the backside, remove the harness and replace with the digital one, connectors are the same as the analog but we need the whole thing, also a good time to replace that buzzing center speaker that has been annoying you for years

100_3343.jpg

with the gauge pod installed

100_3344.jpg

installing is the opposite of the removal

and the finished result

100_3346.jpg

100_3350.jpg

100_3351.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is simple and probably obvious to most people, but I'm in a 1980 280zx Non-turbo with a set-up similar to yours. I have a Prosport gauge on either side of where the stereo would fit, but how did you get the stereo in? Is it a universal adapter to fit it? I have a metal plate with a rectangle cut in it, but I don't know much about electrical or stereo installation..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You asked for updates and you shall have, Ive been more active On ratsun actually, diddnt think anyone was following this thread anymore.

so after many days of procrastinating the turbo if finally back together. I talked to some of the guys at GPOP about the cracked turbine housing and they said its not a big deal. yes, I am stubborn. haha

correct me if im wrong, i dont remember the parts off the top of my head

so this is everything in pieces

100_3568.jpg

the center section has two bushings and four snap rings, those all get replaced

100_3569.jpg

the back of the compressor, the center springy thing for the thrust washer and the bearing get replaced

100_3571.jpg

the new thrust bearing

100_3572.jpg

now you can start putting everything back together

100_3574.jpg

the turbine housing and compressor wheel back on

100_3578.jpg

the compressor housing back on, be sure to clock the housing, otherwise youll have clearance issues and fitment problems

100_3581.jpg

reinstall the wastegate actuator and voilla! dones.

100_3583.jpg

now you have a nice rebuilt turbo for a fraction of the cost of a new one, sure its not pretty but it works.

100_3585.jpg

Prices: Garrett Airesearch T3 turbo $60 from HybridZ

G POP shop complete rebuild kit about $110 shipped

personal satisfaction of mending something, 4 tquitos and a slerpee :P

now all I need is Turbo fuel pump, turbo oil pump and the oh soo confusing megasquirt

I finally got around to replacing my heater core on my car after it decided to try and recreate the great lakes on my floor.

This was a really fun job, riping the dash out and swapping it out took most of the day but now its done. I just need to replace the heater control valve because the old one was leaking to, its bypassed for now.

162818_1749887754898_1469978664_31881601_6238777_n.jpg

And now some goodies. I got a set of ground control sleeves and springs for the front struts (out of my old 210). So now theyre almost ready to drop in. Hopefully I can get them welded in. :lol:

156618_1744506660374_1469978664_31870832_8029576_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...