HybridZ

240Z SBC hybrid track and time-trials build

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A good friend owns a shop well known for track suspension work "Performance Chassis" in Cary. He thinks the combination of light springs, stiff chassis, and thick sway bars works great on my car. It seems to be OK with a front heavy, cast iron small block with 461 Iron heads, and a cast iron water pump.

Obviously you have too much horsepower. LOL! is it possible. I have been eyeing the GM LS3 CT525 circle track engine for weight savings, but it is blowing my budget at 10,000 prepped and ready to install. 525HP@ 6700RPM... what am I thinking?

• 1 month later...

I set up the scales and weighed the car today. I thought it would be front heavy with the all-iron engine, but it seems pretty well balanced on track and on scales.

It weighs 2809lbs with 180lbs in the front seat, and 8 gallons of gas, ready to run.

• LF = 715
  • LR= 702
  • RF= 688
  • RR= 705
  • Cross= 49.46% @1390lbs

It is LEFT biased at 50.44%

It is REAR heavy at 50.05%

It is CROSS weighted at 49.48%

180lbsdistributedweightweb.jpg

180lbsdistributedweight.jpg

John, Mine was rear heavy as well. Lots of people think the big ole v8 will cause so many problems when in fact when done right it actually makes a balanced package. The weight on my car has come down significantly this year, though. smart parts and spending money on wheels and such has paid off. I'm down in the 2500s without driver.

I just posted above. My 383 stroker is puking oil out the dipstick. It is going to have to come out for sure.

Mike

The car ran well this weekend at Virginia International Raceway. I managed to get it down to a comfortable 2:16 full course lap. I think I could get that time down to 2:14 just with driving improvements. I need to reduce weight this winter. That is a major project. There are a lot of other improvements I could make as well.