HybridZ

HY35 vband exhaust?

tech9

I have a stock hy35 that i'm getting setup. I have seen a lot of people modify theirs for a vband setup and mine is just a bolt on normal holset flange that goes to the stock dodge downpipe, which I do have but I would like to stay away from.

Can I modify this turbo to make a vband seal on the exhaust to downpipe? Or do I need to just create a downpipe with a holset flange (they sell these on ebay all day)?

A little confused on how these holsets are, maybe some have vband and some don't?

Thanks!

Holset HX35, HY35, and WH1C turbos all have a "bolted" connection outlet to the turbo. All of the other "reasonable" Holset turbos (like the HE351) have some kind of v-band connection that isn't a 'normal' size V-band flange... it is some kind of in-between Holset metric wierd-ass size that no vendor (that I could find) sells an adapter and vband clamp for. You are pretty much stuck with modifying the stock elbow (which I've seen done on this site by 2 different people), or cut off the v-band altogether and weld on a standard 4" flange (like I did).

You have a bolt on flange... buy a mild steel flange off of ebay, bolt it to your turbo and run a 3" exhaust tube right off the back of that thing for your downpipe. A tube through a flat plate weld has pretty much the very worst fatigue characteristics of any weld joint so I would make sure to put in a flex connection somehwere before you support the exhaust / downpipe to the car. A gusset or 2 from the flat plate to the tube would be good insurance against a weld crack as well.

• 8 months later...

I'm reviving this dead thread because I want to ask someone that knows a little more about this topic.

I also have an HY35 and will be going external, will this work to close up the internal wastegate portion?:

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-036&Category_Code=FLG

...and then weld on one of these bad boys for the perfect setup:

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-041&Category_Code=FLG

and THENNNN slap on one of these bad boys:

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-MDP-011&Category_Code=BCS

Edited by jacob80

that 3 to 4" downpipe is overpriced. plus the angle is not the best. I had an exhaust shop make me a downpipe that went from 2.5-3" with two 45 degree bends, 2 bungs, and a Vband clamp on both ends for $100

That is a great price, good work!

As for the pricey downpipe, I believe it justifies ATP's quality of work. All of their stuff looks to be of very good quality.

Edited by jacob80