HybridZ

1974 260z with rb?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jan. 7 2011

Today I decide to take out the rear differential from the 260. While I was taking off the rear differential I notice that it wasn't a r180 and it was a r200. I felt happy and surprise that the last owner had already did the r200 swap. Mustache bar rubber bushing was already replace and 280z axle n stub are in great shape with no tears or wear. Now with all these goodies parts laying their, why not install the lsd differential now?

I then went on and took off the mount, mustache bar and the axle flagged from the 280z r200 and install the parts onto the LSD r200. Everything bolt right up like a charm. Then went on and install it onto the 260. This bad boy took me about 30 minutes to line it up and mounted in place. Now I need the brace from member cockerstar, for the lsd Finn cover. Suspecting arrival later today. 

Cockerstar brace finally arrive !! Paid 45 bucks with free shipping

59b28f8d.jpg

Z31 turbo LSD r200 differential finally completely install.

214afd15.jpg

f2b1fa6f.jpg

Sold my Camaro 2 weeks ago. I'll pick up my 74 260z on Sunday or Monday. I got it for $450 ! This is it :http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2157065434.html

All the rust is surface rust nothing serious. PO started sanding and didn't cover it up. So I'll start re sanding and pulling the interior and sanding there too. It'll probably be a year or so to get my rb engine but I'm about to buy a 300zx TT tranny with the rb bellhousing already on it for $180.

I hope to be almost where your at by the late summer !

Jan. 19, 2011

Today, I decide to mount up my intercooler piping onto the s30. While before doing that, I'm need to install the Freddy intake manifold to mock up the piping. 

7c969c31.jpg

Freddy manifold looks crappy I kno, but it's okay it's going to get sent out to Eric, over in Wisconsin to get it fix and powder coat like the rb25 valve covers and rb26 heat shields. I went ahead n install the big q45 throttle body onto the manifold and the leakage is hitting the side of the engine bay. 

47bf5fc0.jpg

I was wondering if this could be my engine mounts that are not mock up correctly, or is this a problem for all guys that are running the q45 throttle-body? I then decide to turn it the other way around with the tps facing that way for now so I can mock up my intercooler piping. Another problem! While, I was about to install the intercooler pipe, I notice that the q45 throttle-body will not clear with the straight silicone reducer. So I went on and cut 3 Inc of it and now it clears with the reducer, yay!

0a0faa32.jpg

With the silicone reducer install onto the throttle-body, now I can mock up my intercooler piping. I am using the left over 3.0 Inc mandrel bend pipes from my recent 280z exhaust project. I am going to be using 1 45 degree bend and a half cut 3 Inc pipe to the intercooler coupler. 

79e34cca.jpg

dd5e9484.jpg

Now to the twin turbo side, but sadly it was late and cold so I decided to called it a night. :)

Sold my Camaro 2 weeks ago. I'll pick up my 74 260z on Sunday or Monday. I got it for $450 ! This is it :http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2157065434.html

All the rust is surface rust nothing serious. PO started sanding and didn't cover it up. So I'll start re sanding and pulling the interior and sanding there too. It'll probably be a year or so to get my rb engine but I'm about to buy a 300zx TT tranny with the rb bellhousing already on it for $180.

I hope to be almost where your at by the late summer !

your project looks good, but needs a bit of work. Be sure to post up picture of the 260 in progress when you have the chance. btw good luck with the build.

• 2 weeks later...

Jan. 27, 2011

A new shipment arrive this morning and it was my 90 degree bent 2.0" coupler from silicone-intake with a straight 3.0" coupler for my twin turbo piping to the intercooler. I went ahead and install the 90 degree to both turbo housing with a "Y" steel pipe that Mark Rolston's gave me from his previous rb26 swap. It was nice of him to gave it to me for free, and I just had to covered shipping charge from Dallas Texas. 

While installing the 90 degree coupler onto both turbo housing it looks that the 2.0 clamps won't work with regular 12 mm bolts. So I went to the hardware store and bought a 3/8 driller and 4 flat allen 12mm bolt. Got home and use the 3/8 driller to drill the turbo housing holes for a flat surface so it will have room for the steel clamps to be tighten.

af0ccd60.jpg

9067d7cc.jpg

d33d3ee1.jpg

fb47f6a1.jpg

9088ea74.jpg

There it is everything bolt up like I had plan. 

1ef6134e.jpg

Then from the y-pipe end housing, I use the 3.0" straight coupler because I was lazy and didn't want to take a trip to the welding shop and get the straight 3" mild steel pipe welded. So here it is my rb25dett intercooler piping setup. 

25bd0365.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for my intercooler to get welded from the shop. I cut the outlet flange and want to install the 90 degree aluminum to the outlet   and waiting for my 3.0 Inc couplers to arrive.

95c35d52.jpg

bd1093a0.jpg

Jan. 28, 2011

Friday, after work I went and pick up my intercooler from the welding shop and drop off some pipe to get it welded for my MAF setup. I was very impressed on the guy work on the intercooler. 

e90fc84c.jpg

74a87117.jpg

Pipe that needed to be welded into a T. 90 degree bent with straight pipe, both 2.50"

318cadd4.jpg

Jan. 29, 2011

That Saturday after noon I went back and pick up my T pipe. When i got their he wasn't even done. So for a 20 minute wait, I got to see how he did it. 

Tag n ready to be welded.

86540bd9.jpg

Him in action, and yes it is a messy and scary shop to go into with his tools everywhere. But with his work of art, it doesn't scared me, it just makes me wanna go their more lol. :)

42de859e.jpg

The final result of the T-pipe welded in place.

5b019b06.jpg

Feb. 3,2011

Got home from work today and received my 3.00" 90 degree couplers from silicone-intake and it's time to mount up my intercooler. So install 3.00" coupler into s30 existing hole with intercooler mounted.

41c85e04.jpg

While that was done at the moment, I decide to mount up the MAF piping setup. I used the stock rb26 outlet turbo housing adapter that came with the turbo, 90 degree coupler with straight 2.50 pipe. 

0dc62143.jpg

Straight coupler onto T-pipe, then another 90 silicone coupler bent into 2nd turbo using after-market turbo housing.

749bc3f8.jpg

Other-end went into a straight 2.50" to 3.00" reducer using a twin turbo z32 MAF(mass air flow) with a Copycat HKS mushroom air-filter install

0d3d690b.jpg

Finally call it a day. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

02/24/2011

- Wow I almost forgot that I had a z and a build thread for her lol and it been awhile since I work on the 260. Been on the ratsun site looking up info and parts for this new toy, a 73 510 2 door. Will here's the story.

- Pick up a 73 510 in Hayward, California last couple weeks ago. Drove it home with no issue, but the suck part is that i smelled exhaust foam all the way back to sacramento. Had to made couple stops to make catch my breath. Thinking because of no weather strip on trunk and thats how it got in. Will below is some spec of the dime that I can identify for now so enjoy. 

Spec. 

-1973 datsun 510 with "no rust"

-Stock unknown rebuilt 4 cylinder engine (single webber, aftermarket header with 2.5 exhaust pipe with maga-flow muffler) 

-full airbag system on 4 corner

-2 front gsr leather seats

-stock rear differential

-unknown 13 Inc wheels 

2e2f35f8.jpg

86c02bdc.jpg

- okay enough with the 510 and let's get back to the build thread of the fair-lady. The other day my exedy clutch master cylinder and clutch sleeve came in, so I was able to install that onto the car.

- Now, I'm just waiting for my Freddy manifold and my intercooler piping to get powder coat, so as soon as those arrive I'll give it another update. 

• 2 weeks later...

03-07-11

-Been waiting and waiting, and today finally my manifold is going to be arriving from powder-coating. My figure are cross, hoping it will turn out the way I thought it will be. So at the mean time, here's are some picture of a swap-meet that I attend yesterday in sacramento with my 510.

426d42a2.jpg

d4ae8a6f.jpg

c22737df.jpg

f0a743b4.jpg

e71b9177.jpg

1dfc4ec4.jpg

050a931d.jpg

88bcabdd.jpg

7f7adb61.jpg

4e9485b5.jpg

8fbe1f4b.jpg

• 1 month later...

April 13, 2011

-It's been almost 2 months now, since I had work on the s30. Been busy working with the 510 lately untill, just last weekend I sadly sold the car to a local guy for a price i couldn't refused. Now, that the 510 is outer the way I can pick up where I had left off.     

-Freddy intake-manifold is still in progress on getting powered coat and clean from the company. While I wait, they sent me some picture on how they prep it

48bf663c.jpg

d004baec.jpg

b06fe370.jpg

- For those 2 months that I was out, i managed to get a pair of Watanabe 16x9.5 -19 offset. People had ask me why just one pair? The reason why I got 1 pair for now is that, to see if it will clear my front suspension setup, because I am not into that stagger look of 16x9 -13 up front and 16x9.5 -19 in the rear, and would much prefer 16x9.5 all around. 

99db3fd0.jpg

d81041f0.jpg

- With that being said and done, I then place an order from silvermotor for a front set of spacer to clear my toyota 4x4 caliper, along with new cross drill rotors, ground control camber plates and steel braided lines last week. 

8483adda.jpg

- On the other hand I decide to take my strut tube to get it section. I was debating to take it to ground control (400.00) or techno toy (350.00), since they just 30-40 minute away from me. Lucky a fellow local hybridz member "apex944" message me to take it to him instead, charging me at 280. So of crouse, I drop it off to him instead. When i got home my tokico illumina had arrive. I'm running mr2 front(bz3099) and 240z front(bz3015) in the rear according sectioning spec. 

90dfa1a6.jpg

I bought the Silver Mine Motors stage 3 brake kit(its mostly installed) ! Plus, I just picked up some 16x7 Konig Rewinds(graphite)with 0 offset. They look similar to the watanabe's ! I order a bushing kit from Alamo Motorsports tonight. I still need to finish sanding the interior and put down the POR-15, swap in brake/clutch pedals & Starion seats and then I'll be down with the interior for a while. At the same time trying to source all my rear brake parts and deal with 15/16 MC. No one has a rebuild kit for it.

I have a long way to go ! There so much I still have to do !

I bought the Silver Mine Motors stage 3 brake kit(its mostly installed) ! Plus, I just picked up some 16x7 Konig Rewinds(graphite)with 0 offset. They look similar to the watanabe's ! I order a bushing kit from Alamo Motorsports tonight. I still need to finish sanding the interior and put down the POR-15, swap in brake/clutch pedals & Starion seats and then I'll be down with the interior for a while. At the same time trying to source all my rear brake parts and deal with 15/16 MC. No one has a rebuild kit for it.

I have a long way to go ! There so much I still have to do !

I also have a set of 16x7 konig rewind like yours that I'm thinking about selling, after I get my other pair of Watanabe. Later on today I am suppose to go pick up a pair of rear brake caliper, e-brake cable, and 15/16 Mc from his 1979 280zx, that the guy is selling it cheap for 60 bucks. Plus, after work my strut tube are done from getting section, so I'm suppose to pick that up too. Will post picture on the result after school tonight.

Daz, looks like your moving a bit fast there, keep up the good work. I'm thinking about planning a trip down south during the summer for car shopping and would like to check out your project if you don't mind. Will, I was just carious were you going to be droping an rb swap? If yes, how soon.

Edited by voltron_boi

Yes, I will be doing a RB swap too ! I want a rb25det but I keep finding rb20det's for cheap($500 complete engine with no electrics). I still need to pull the old L26/auto tranny out. Hopefully I can sell it for cheap just to get rid of it. I've been using the money that I make from selling old stuff in my garage from previous cars to fund some of the things that I'm doing so I figured why not buy the little things with the money. I just bought a pair of 240sx caliper for $35, I have to rebuild them but they are for my rear disc conversion. I found a pair of lowering springs for cheap but I don't know much about them but they were $20 so if they're not what I want I only spent $20. I'll buy parts if there cheap even though I might not be ready for them.

I won't be ready for my engine for a while due to funds unless I can wheel and deal in a trade for a LS1 block/heads/crank that I have at my dads house.

Yeah, come on down and check me out ! I could use some advice on a lot of things especially since I know very little about these cars. How are you going to do your fuel delivery ? Are you shortening your struts ? Is that required for lower Z's ?

Edited by Daz

April 15, 2011

- Pick up my strut tube from getting section by apex944. Result, looks a bit shorter then before. Now that being done, I can go really low. :)

- Still waiting on silver-motor to send my ground control camber plates that i place an order last week. They seem to be taking forever, and contacting them through email isn't helping, because it takes a day for a single respond. So really don't no what's the deal is with them.

- Will Got home today and 4 245/45 16 Yokohama es100 tires was at my front door. It was deliver from orange county, California. Bought these for 300.00 shipp, about 70-80 percent left on these. 

89e7181e.jpg

I then went to my friend tire shop and had him mount these onto my Wats. Finally, I can see if these -19 offset will clear my front-end with my cousin regular zg flare. 

b3c1b1b8.jpg

More update tomorrow  

April 17, 2011

- Got a little busy on Saturday and didn't had that much sunlight on the z. Got some front hubs from pick n pull, since mine are beat up and won't spend freely like it use too and a set of cv from a 280z. 

Next day, I woke up earlie in the morning to mount up my front and rear coilover onto my strut tub. For some reason when mounting the tokico strut into the tube, the strut was short by 1 Inc on all 4 of them. Went to home depot and got a 1 1/4 metal pipe. Got back home then I cut 1 inc of the 1 1/4 pipe to put it into the strut tube as spacer, so it will fasten the strut in place. 

So then I begin to start with the rear first. I will be running custom machine bracket to run 1979 280zx cross-drill rotor, and  caliper. 

5ebff59c.jpg

Pic of the rear strut assemble with coilover and slot drill rotor from a 79 280zx

74ce942f.jpg

8ef86896.jpg

While the rear was almost complete, I then assemble the front coilover, and strut into the strut tubes. I wanted to mount it onto the car badly, but i couldn't do so, since my ground control camber plates hasn't came in yet. So again, I will have to wait for tomorrow. 

6707fe32.jpg