HybridZ

best antivirus software lately

randy 77zt

Cnet has a lot of programs and reviews, I like to use Malwarebytes Anti-malware you use it when you want to and you can choose what hardrives you want to scan you can even scan flash drives if you plug them in. Also another program I like to run with that is Smart defrag. These are both free programs and they work really good for me I haven't had any viriuses in a long time opposed to the few I would get every once in a while with AVG anti-virius.

It may be obvious for some, but DO NOT buy Norton anything.

From my experience they are a poorly designed product that actually loads viruses onto your computer so it can "get rid of them".

Totally agree, I used it once It wasn't that great the free trial wasn't that good and plus its expensive to buy.

The best antivirus is not getting a virus... I haven't had any sort of protection since 2007 and haven't gotten anything close to a virus. just pucker up your free ports and make is so any program other then ones authorized by you can't access the web/you unless you say they do.

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program! I typically use the free AVG, but have read in several places that both Norton and Mcafee have updated and improved their 2010 offerings. And none of these products install viruses just so they can remove them, they are all legit and on the up and up. Just maybe not the best they could be.

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program! I typically use the free AVG, but have read in several places that both Norton and Mcafee have updated and improved their 2010 offerings. And none of these products install viruses just so they can remove them, they are all legit and on the up and up. Just maybe not the best they could be.

Malware is short for Malicious software such as Trojans, root-kits, dialers, viruses etc. I have used it for a year or two now and it works well and scans throughly and quick. It really comes down to how you use your computer and internet that you need to base the type of program you get. If you surf every once in a while don't download a lot then you can use an "alright" program. If you download a lot and surf heavily click lots of links etc. you will need a better program fit to your needs.

i am putting a computor that has been stored back online.its going to need new antivirus/spyware set up on it.i would like something that only operates when i want it to and not bog down the hard drive.any suggestions?

OS X or Linux.

Edited by rossman

Giving away my secrets to hackers here...AVG free, Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, and Zonealarm.  All of them are free versions, they don't slow down my machine appreciably, and seem to play together very well.   ;)  My PC is online 24/7, behind a router. 

Edited by cygnusx1

I am an IT consultant in Boston and I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for a free av and spyware solution. Also Malwarebytes is very good for spyware and trojan issues but i wouldn't use it to treat a viral infection and it wont protect you from getting infected unless you pay for it.

As far as pay/support and contract av solutions though I don't like any one of the available solutions. Which is kind of a big problem for IT folks.