HybridZ

Electric fuel pump install

turbeau

Nissan was kind enough to run wires for you already for a pump. The fuel pump wires are green and black and are located in the passenger side of the car, near the gas tank. They are part of the fuel tank sending unit wiring harness back there. They might be taped up in the harness (mine were).

Then all you have to do is connected the terminals for the fuel pump fuse which is located near the fuse box. The terminal you are looking for has the two spade connectors making sort of a capitol T in shape. Both wires are green. Run a 20A fuse, and call it a day.

This is from my experience on my 2/71 Z, so it should be the same for you with your 71.

Above is a little easier than my way. haha Wasnt sure if the 71 had a mechanical pump on the engine as well as an electric at the tank, looks like it does!

The 71 had a mechanical fuel pump only. Nissan had enough foresight to include provisions for an electric fuel pump when running the wires.

The biggest issue I had was figuring out why my fuel pump wasn't getting juice. If you check the wiring diagram for the later 240Z's and you'll see that it has a 20A fuse outside of the fusebox. That is how I realized that Nissan wired the connector near the fusebox as an open circuit, waiting for you to connect the two wires, completing the circuit (and energizing your fuel pump).

Ironically enough, I happened to pick up the fuel pump fuse connector at the junkyard when I was scrounging for OEM connectors. I'm glad I didn't cut that one apart for the connector!

The 71 had a mechanical fuel pump only. Nissan had enough foresight to include provisions for an electric fuel pump when running the wires.

The biggest issue I had was figuring out why my fuel pump wasn't getting juice. If you check the wiring diagram for the later 240Z's and you'll see that it has a 20A fuse outside of the fusebox. That is how I realized that Nissan wired the connector near the fusebox as an open circuit, waiting for you to connect the two wires, completing the circuit (and energizing your fuel pump).

Ironically enough, I happened to pick up the fuel pump fuse connector at the junkyard when I was scrounging for OEM connectors. I'm glad I didn't cut that one apart for the connector!

• 10 years later...