HybridZ

Lt1 install issues

You can't use the stock exhaust manifolds. Get some block hugger headers. LT1 use a different exhaust "D" port in the head than the old school Chevys so those center manifolds are not what you want either. JTR sells a Sanderson (Dat-402C DP)header that most of us are using. That C in the part number is for ceramic coating. It will make the header last longer and help transfer heat away from the engine bay too but it is another $100. Some have found headers on EBay that work too. Just make sure you get LT1 specific headers.

Edited by deja

I found a guy that has some hooker shorties that I need help with. This is his message to me.. "I have a set of hooker ceramic coated shorties (SBC Gen 1 style) 1 5/8" primary's that i currently have on my LT1 im parting out. How's $100 shipped sound?"

Will the work? If so I am going to grab them ASAP!!!

I can't say for sure but the price is right. I think there is a difference between shorty and block hugger, you need block hugger. I don't thing Hooker makes a block hugger any more if they ever did. Also ask him if they are "D" ports which is what the LT1 has. Just because thye would bolt on doen't mean the will work properly. Maybe some one here has used Hookers on the LT1, try searching.

I found a guy that has some hooker shorties that I need help with. This is his message to me.. "I have a set of hooker ceramic coated shorties (SBC Gen 1 style) 1 5/8" primary's that i currently have on my LT1 im parting out. How's $100 shipped sound?"

Will the work? If so I am going to grab them ASAP!!!

Yeah they will bolt on but old school SBC ports were square, LT1s are D shaped. Trust me I learn that lesson on my AMX back in the day. I used 69 headers cause I got a deal not knowing the 70 AMX had changed the ports to a dogleg shape. The car ran much worse with those headers than it did with the stock manifolds. Also did he run these in a Datsun?

Thats what i am doing, he has had them on his lt1 for a few years with no issues.

Not for the LT1. check. You'll see they are for oval ports, not D ports. They do NOT look like block huggers and I wonder if they would really fit. What makes you think they are the JTR ones?

Ok thanks the ones he has are the 2460hkr so that makes it the JTR ones after all. It would have been nice to have caramic coated ones for $100 shipped though :(

• 4 weeks later...

I moved my knock sensor the the driver's side using a bracket I got from Detail Zone.

I ended up getting the JTR ones, really easy to install. Only issue I have now is I have to relocate the knock sensors. Oh also I have to get it running. Tried last night and noticed the oil filter was leaking real bad.

If I were going to do it again that's what I would do. But that bracket only cost $17 delivered so I wasn't going to pull the setback plate out just for that.

I'm thinking I'll just drill and tap my setback plates for the sensor. That way they are deffinatly out of the way.