HybridZ

datsun to w58 conversion check this out

vega

$1890(not including tranny) is a little steep when a ka,sr,rb20 transmission swap can be done for less

w58 gear ratio(supra)

Firsst Gear: 3.285:1

Second Gear: 1.894:1

Third Gear: 1.275:1

Fourth Gear: 1.00:1

Fifth Gear: 0.783:1

KA24(D)E & SR20DET (S13/S14):

1st- 3.321

2nd- 1.902

3rd- 1.308

4th- 1.000

5th- 0.759

I had a 240sx at one point and all the guys I know that had anything more than like 300 hp and actually put it to the ground (not the drift dirt bags) where blowing transmissions. Not because they did not know how to drive either. And most of the guys started to not even power shift to save the syncros.

Now the rb20 swap- what is involved in that? for sure what has been put down for power reliably on that transmission? I am considering also to try and put together a custom borg warner t5 wc/datsun gear box.

As for the 6 speed that would be ideal though the only one I know available that can hold to a decent amount of power is the t56. The 6 spd in the 350z I have been told has syncro issues by friends who were looking for newer z cars, they always found 6 spds with bad syncros, they told me it was apparently a common problem in 350z cars. Also as for the z32 trans I don't find a point in spending that much money on a trans I don't trust. The w28 is bullet proof is why I thought this to be interesting.

There are guys running around my town with 800-1400 hp supras with a w58 or a r154 which is not too much different as it is.

For the setup I am working on over this winter I am going to need a stronger gear box based on a bunch of searching here on hybridz.

Custom fuel rail (non hose type dsm injectors), gm 7730 ecu to datsun harness swap using the gm icm for the transistor ignition unit to the stock magnetic pickup distributor with msd, high pressure fuel pump, chrome for tuning with a moates ostrich real time chip emulator, 6 to 1 equal length header from msd, a m90 blower off of ford thunderbird super coupe (it goes into the throttle body vs on top of the intake no mods to the intake are needed, aem o2 sensor, many more mods to list I am just gathering info and parts now. I will be doing a write up on it it when its all done with pics, and all the info I can remember.

The only week points I am finding in this are the axle stubs, that damn diff mount (mine is already clunking arg) and the transmission. The other two problems are easy and cheap fixes. So I just have to figure out what is going to be the strongest transmission with a final drive at no higher than .71 in the gear box (not the diff- I am keeping the 3.545 ratio in my r200 though I would like to have a posi diff :( )

afaik the w58 cant hold too much and theres alot of differences between the r154 and w58. the r154 is a ton(literally) beefier

the rb20 tranny is similar to the sr tranny except it has a shorter tail end housing (don't have to shorten the driveshaft)

so if you are going for higher hp stuff though, it might still fail

there is the z32 tranny option but i don't know much about it

z32 trans does not seem like something i would want to invest in if i can use a modified borg warner t5 id prefer that, or a t56.

....why? The Z32 transmission is rather solid and known to handle over 600 ft-lbs. It is a lot cheaper than a T56.

z32 trans does not seem like something i would want to invest in if i can use a modified borg warner t5 id prefer that, or a t56.

Has anyone looked into whether the GForce T5 Upgrade Kit will work in the Nissan T5? Thay have several gear types available and gear ratios as well, and they claim the kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. of torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track...

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

UPDATE:

Nevermind, I contacted Gforce and asked the following:

Nissan used a T5 in the 1982-83 280ZX Turbo. Can the G-Force Street 5-Speed upgrade kit be used for this application?

The response was:

"No, I am sorry it will not fit into that, it is too old. They only fit world class cores."

Edited by zxtman