HybridZ

turbo questions

skirkland1980

hello. i've been searching a while, read http://www.zhome.com...tech/turbo.html a few times. i have installed the mandrel bent 3" exhaust, no cat, no muffler, a saab 900 intercooler with 2.25" piping, and a megasquirt system. Those are the only mods. My question is, how do i get more boost without greatly modifying the turbo? Boost controller? I don't think my wastegate is opening. This car would be a beast at 10psi. Is the hybrid setup the only route? I do want to do this eventually and if some non-newbie could point me in the right direction. Thank you so much.

hello. i've been searching a while, read http://www.zhome.com...tech/turbo.html a few times. i have installed the mandrel bent 3" exhaust, no cat, no muffler, a saab 900 intercooler with 2.25" piping, and a megasquirt system. Those are the only mods. My question is, how do i get more boost without greatly modifying the turbo? Boost controller? I don't think my wastegate is opening. This car would be a beast at 10psi. Is the hybrid setup the only route? I do want to do this eventually and if some non-newbie could point me in the right direction. Thank you so much.

1. I don't know what kind of car you have. I don't read minds.

2. If your wg wasn't opening you'd be running higher than the original factory boost setting...except that:

3. there is a factory overboost protection commonly referred to as the POV (pop-off valve) which bleeds off excess boost

Yes, you need a boost controller. And you need to search a lot more than "a while" :)

How did you install MS and an ic with such limited knowledge? Just curious.

The Saab ic was probably your first mistake :rolleyes:

Thank you. i know how a turbo works. i've been a diesel mechanic for 12 years. turbos these days use a variable geometry or (vane) controlled by the ECM. I was just asking, in the vast world of the 280zx turbo, what is the most popular way to get more boost out of my car?

Ok first...I apologize for taking out my pissy mood on you. Disregard #1 in my first post and you have a pretty good answer. A stuck closed wg would increase boost.

You need a boost controller. If you want more than the factory POV will allow then you need to remove the POV, modify it, or get an adjustable POV.

More fuel to match the increased air is highly recommended.

Do you have a VGT turbo?

...... :blink: Boost controller.

Question:

- Do you know how a wastegate works?

Allow me to explain this to you. The wastegate opens, via an arm attatched to a diaphragm actuator, at a certain boost pressure to bleed off exhaust pressure. In doing so, this limits the amount of boost being expelled by the turbo.

If you were to keep the WG shut, the turbo would continue to spin faster and faster, creating more and more boost until one or more engine components gave up.

Get a manual boost controller, and......yeah.

thanks guys. i guess the wastegate was hanging open a little. i pulled it back all the way and blocked off the hose and guess what? 8psi. And thats plenty for now. No I dont have a VNT. if new turbos didn't have a core charge i would have turbos out the wazoo. Thanks for the help. I will be looking into a boost controller.

thanks guys. i guess the wastegate was hanging open a little. i pulled it back all the way and blocked off the hose and guess what? 8psi. And thats plenty for now. No I dont have a VNT. if new turbos didn't have a core charge i would have turbos out the wazoo. Thanks for the help. I will be looking into a boost controller.

5.5psi considering you have a intercooler is probably exactly right. What hose did you unplug, the pressure line? The wastegate will do absolutely nothing without it. You need it to be functioning. Is the relief opening?

If the wastegate never opens you never stop building boost, even if there is a fault this is not a fix.

Now if I was to unhook my pressure line to my gate, my engine would be gone first time I tested it. Actually I'm still running under 10psi so my E-POV is still on so my engine is safe if the hose ever came off. Plus I should have overboost protection set when I remove it, I suggest you set it up to.

Edited by goodoldjam

Ummm.....Do you know what you have done be eliminating your wastegate? Your turbo is going to be spinning way out of its RPM range without the WG hooked up. My guess is that you are going to be blowing hot air into your motor and potentially blow it up.

Ummm.....Do you know what you have done be eliminating your wastegate? Your turbo is going to be spinning way out of its RPM range without the WG hooked up. My guess is that you are going to be blowing hot air into your motor and potentially blow it up.

Sigh... You guys push away to much. I understand the guy posted a pretty badly worded, probably already answered question, but you need to slow down and read. ;) He did not eliminate his waste gate, chill out. He found that the waste gate was stuck open a bit. He simply closed it, being all hostile to every person the board isn't getting hybridz.org anywhere. Instead of downing everything he does, maybe point him in the right direction? Once one person jumps on everybody starts dogging and its a whole bunch of stupidity all around.

Sigh... You guys push away to much. I understand the guy posted a pretty badly worded, probably already answered question, but you need to slow down and read. ;) He did not eliminate his waste gate, chill out. He found that the waste gate was stuck open a bit. He simply closed it, being all hostile to every person the board isn't getting hybridz.org anywhere. Instead of downing everything he does, maybe point him in the right direction? Once one person jumps on everybody starts dogging and its a whole bunch of stupidity all around.

I understood what he was trying to say, then he said he Blocked the hose.

Somehow achieving 8psi, more boost than the wastegate would provide. He must of unhooked the wastegate or it is not opening correctly.

Seems he was under the impression that low amount of boost the wastegate allows was a fault and not a stock spec.

This is the time to at least warn him. I'm not jumping all over him because he phrased the first question wrong.

Edited by goodoldjam