HybridZ

WTB Z, Miata, or any RWD coupe for 1K

Corruption

Hi there,

I'm 17 years old, tight for money, and need a car. I want a Z badly, 240 or 260 would be absolute, or a Miata just as hard. I am no ricer, I like imports, appreciate muscle for what it is, and am into cars for the history and the passion of it. I keep up with Formula One, GT1, BTCC, MotoGP, and LMS so I don't just look at cars and think "Oh wow man, that's great but have you seen my Honda?". I work on cars in my school's auto shop and would gladly settle for something that's rough around the edges, but with that I would require honesty about the car. A car that runs is what I need, manuals only, so I can get a job, get money worked up, fix the car up to where I like.

My dream would be to get a Z, get the ZG flares, set up the suspension just right, stick an RB25DET in it, tune interior with a few modern updates, get the JDM fender mirrors, then douse it in the modern Z blue. If you can think of anybody you know that has a car like this or have one yourself please let me know and we'll work something out.

A first gen Z for less than $1000 is going to take quite a bit of work and money to make it driveable and reliable.

I don't think you fully know what you are getting in to.

Might I suggest a S13. Decent RWD starter car, gets decent gas mileage, and shouldn't take a whole lot to be a daily driver.

If you're 17 and strapped for cash, you don't need to be dailying an S30. They are project cars and your wallet isn't big enough.

Edited by FlatBlack

I was 14 when I bought my first 280z for $350, almost 4 years later and I sold that one bought a second one and it still isn't done hopefully this spring or summer I will have it at least driving, I have put a few thousand into already and all I have to show for it is updated suspension and some other small stuff and it doesn't even run yet. :( My advice is go with want you want be be prepared to have a lot of down time with a Z and spend a lot of money on it. If you go with the Z wait to find the perfect one with low to no rust it saves a lot of time and money also get one that is road worthy and running so you can have some fun before you dive into it. Also get a job before you buy a Z and save up some money, I wish I would have had a job sooner so I could get this thing finished instead of it teasing me on the jackstands. <_< Good luck I'm sure you will make the decision that will work out best for you.

do a broad search for s13s, not just in OC

here are a couple good possibilities....

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1964000566.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1966932162.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/1966264281.html - sell the silvia face and get some money back

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/1965149977.html

1k is still a little low, if your limit was 2k, it could be manageable as you still have to pay for registration and a possible smog.

miata's are great, and in all honesty I kinda want to sell my daily to get on, but s13s are cheaper to modify. a completely adjustable suspension: coils, tension rods, f&r control arms, tension rods, sway bars, etc. for about $1800, where as the miata stuff is around $3k last i checked.

FCs (2nd gen Rx7s) are awesome fun cars but are not as reliable nor as cheap as miatas or s13s.

240zs are relatively inexpensive to modify, but they are old cars and you have to deal with all of the old car quirks, so instead of spending all of your money on fun bits you now have to spend some of it on restoration and replacement.

If you're 17 and strapped for cash, you don't need to be dailying an S30. They are project cars and your wallet isn't big enough.

I know I can't daily drive an S30, I was just giving some background. My parents wouldn't let me have that much power in my life anyway.

Thanks for the ideas, crazy, I'll keep those in mind.

It turns out my dad would be willing to take my 500 bucks as a down and get something from a dealership and I really hope we can get a low interest rate, but from what I've heard, it's seemingly impossible. Do any of you think it's possible to get a good deal from any dealership in this economy?

I know I can't daily drive an S30, I was just giving some background. My parents wouldn't let me have that much power in my life anyway.

Thanks for the ideas, crazy, I'll keep those in mind.

It turns out my dad would be willing to take my 500 bucks as a down and get something from a dealership and I really hope we can get a low interest rate, but from what I've heard, it's seemingly impossible. Do any of you think it's possible to get a good deal from any dealership in this economy?

My parents only bought from a dealership once and it was a bad experience, My family has always had good luck with buying cars at smaller car businesses but make sure the guy is trustworthy and is known well locally. We just bought a 2003 ford focus ZX3 from a small car lot it had 70,xxx miles and we traded in a van we had and got it for 3500 and its a great car. Just wait for a good deal and you will be fine and don't let emotions over a car determine the car you buy. Good luck.

500 down is extremely low on any new car. if anything see if he will put in for a used car.

or get a job and save up until you can get the car you want, very rarely do people NEED cars right away, especially at 17. ask for rides, skip out on purchased foods, and dont buy anything until the car is in your hands

Dude I'm 16 and I'm on my second Z already. I payed $1800 for a '72 240z and a '75 280z both with running motors and they had tons of parts. It's possible to find the deals you just have to be dedicated, it took me 3 months to get the deal I got. It's hard because I don't have a job I just buy and sell stuff to make money and that's not promising at all LOL. I've had my Z for just over a year and have spent $2200 and change in total on my Z's and parts that I've bought and it still isn't running (but I'm almost there) so just remember it WILL take money like everyone else said. Here's my build thread if you wanna take a peek at it http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/92595-turbohls30s-75-280z/page__view__findpost__p__874129__fromsearch__1

Of course I meant used, I'm not that dumb. I'm gonna try to work up a few bucks, sell a few bits here and there. I'm looking around for jobs, have been since summer started.

Turbo, you don't know the jealousy I feel towards you. I want to get a Z to work on, make my own, then slowly work up money for the car of my dreams but that's a pipe dream as of right now.

I picked up my first Z when I was 16 in 2005 and I bought it for 2200. It ran great but was a rust bucket. I'd get a dd (240sx, corolla, tercel, civic, or any older import) and use that while saving up for a Z. I'd have a pretty slick Z right now if I wasn't on my 5th car (and 3rd Z).

Get a daily, save, save, save and get a 75 or older Z since you're in Cali. Get one with minimal rust and go from there. TRUST ME! I know you're going to want to buy the first one you see. I was the same way when I was your age. Be patient and the "one" WILL come. I see deals all the time in craigslist and waited 3-4 months for my current one.

And wouldn't you know it....the very next week there was a better deal than Z I had just purchased :lol:

GL dude!

Edited by datsun723

Turbo, you don't know the jealousy I feel towards you. I want to get a Z to work on, make my own, then slowly work up money for the car of my dreams but that's a pipe dream as of right now.

Haha that actually makes me feel somewhat special. But really do your research and sit and wait. I say look for an AE86 (Corolla), Celica, MK2/3 Supra, FC Rx-7, as stated above S13, Toyota Cressida, those are all good beginner cars and you can find them pretty cheap.

If you REALLY want a Z then I wouldn't waste my time with another car unless you need to have a DD in the near future. Buying a 240z for 1,000 in good order will be difficult. I would stick to trying to find a 280z, get a 1975 if smogs going to be an issue. I picked my brother up a pretty nice 1975 280z and got it in reliable DD worthy running order for a total of 2,300 including the car and put a different engine and swapped for a 5 speed, he hasnt had any problems with it at all. If you really want one, it can be done. It wont be as big of a hole in your wallet as some say if you buy it and just get it in good running order. Its when you start adding mods that it gets VERY expensive.

Another perspective:

I just bought a clean 78 for a shell swap on my Flat Black car.

I got it with a parts car for $1200, it runs and drives, but it needed tires [i have an extra set of wheels], the rear clunks HARDCORE [probably front diff mount, could be U-Joints], the turn signal unit is broken, and the brakes need an overhaul. The door mechanisms also need to be repaired.

I haven't even touched the stock stuff but you HAVE to plan on 30 year old rubber [bushings, fuel hose, etc etc etc] to go bad. These are all things to plan for.

Luckily, I have an entire parts car, plus I have a ton of performance/upgrade parts that will be swapped over from Flatty.

If I were making this a Daily Driver or even a stock autoX car, I would put at LEAST another $1,000 into it. That's a conservative estimate. Not including stuff I'm forgetting. [Add nearly half of what you plan to spend on stuff you'll encounter later]

Also, I know what I'm doing, I've done it twice before ;) You will take longer/possibly make mistakes because you don't know what works or what is easiest. I was there about 4 years ago.

Edited by FlatBlack

Good news everyone: There's been a 1971-2 240Z behind my school for one year and 2 months because the owner got it an accident and left it there, seeing it everyday made me fall in love with Zs. The school is threatening to have it towed and he wants to get rid of it, I'm going to get in contact with him and take it off his hands. My shop teacher knows I love Zs and is making sure NOBODY knows about it so I'm assured ownership. It ran before he parked it, worst that could've happened is a dead battery and some still oil. I'll lube some parts if necessary, change the battery and get it up to running order. It's Manual, in blue but faded due to the sun and I can't wait to get it. Side note, the interior is in gorgeous condition and has gone untouched. I'm luckier than anybody I know for having the opportunity of getting this thing scott free and god I hope I do.

I'll stay hopeful until Monday, I tried to find the proctor who knows the owner (an old Proctor who moved this year) and he was at lunch, and I'll get all the info from the guy to start the process of getting this car.

Anything in particular I should look for in this car due to it's year of sitting that could lead to future hazards? I'll go through the engine, the trans, the mounts, the wheels, the shocks, and all the electronics before I decide to keep it instead of parting it.

Thanks in advance, Ryan.

Anything in particular I should look for in this car due to it's year of sitting that could lead to future hazards? I'll go through the engine, the trans, the mounts, the wheels, the shocks, and all the electronics before I decide to keep it instead of parting it.

Thanks in advance, Ryan.

Sounds like luck is in your favor, if you could get pics of the damage that would be helpful for some of the Z buff's to determine if its fixable. Also look for rust in every place possible underneath the car mostly under the carpet etc etc. Everything else you can always fix for not to much money but rust and bodywork is usually where it takes the most time and money. Good luck if you do get it, it will be an awesome deal.

Sounds like luck is in your favor, if you could get pics of the damage that would be helpful for some of the Z buff's to determine if its fixable. Also look for rust in every place possible underneath the car mostly under the carpet etc etc. Everything else you can always fix for not to much money but rust and bodywork is usually where it takes the most time and money. Good luck if you do get it, it will be an awesome deal.

Sadly, I didn't think of asking your guys' opinions on the car because all of this happened in my last period today and was too rapped up in trying to find out as much about it as I could. I will definitely take pictures on Monday so I can get some real advice on what steps to take in getting this thing done.

Also, what I would do with it is drive it as much as I can, save up for a new shell and an RB25-26 then assemble it all together then, which would be in a year or so due to costs. If not a new engine, at least a new shell because the bumps are too in depth to just hammer out.