HybridZ

SR20DET OPERATING TEMP AT RACE TRACK

jessejames

• 1 year later...

My ZX JDM gauges are in metric, but they were showing 125ish Celcius on oil and water at Hallet over last Memorial day weekend. The outside temps were in the 90's Fahrenheit I think, off track. My SR ZX normally runs around 100-110 C on normal driving with the A/C on. I was interested in this response too given the higher temps I thought I was seeing. I'm not 100% certain that they are calibrated to the SR water temp sensor nor that the oil temp sensor is spot on too.

So what thermostat is everyone using? I'm running stock tune, boost and a 180 degree thermostat. When I get a z32 MAF, injectors and a good tune what thermostat would be ideal? For street use.

My cooling system is currently working very well. No problems just looking for the sweet spot on temp.

• 1 month later...

Where is your sensor? If you read it in the outlet neck, it will be hotter as that is before it is cooled back down by the radiator. I have one there and the stock one too. The neck one sees 220 fairly easily but the stock one stays in the middle.

• 5 months later...

i'll have to look at where i have the sensor plugged in since I can't remember.  Since this post I haven't been to the track again yet, but I have swapped in a generic (read chevy) aluminum radiator that fills in the frame rails in the ZX and put in a thunderbird 18" monster electric fan.  I've never got the higher speed to kick on with the fan due to a sticky solenoid, but i've never even come close to needing it either.  I have to say that fan is awesome for flow but damn sharp edges.  I also had to spray out some oil from everything up there since my oil cooler line busted and clogged up some fin cooling area.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After my latest track day at AMP, I have to revise now.  Running VR 20w50 oil in 80's temp I was seeing around 95 c normal driving and about 115c on the track with about 10-20 minutes of all out racing.  The coolant temp this time was a surprise to me.  It was normally not much higher than usual sitting around 70c but there was a time when it went up closer to 100c.  I thought what the...why not try turning on the fan despite the speeds and see what happens.  It dropped the temp down very quickly again to 70c.  I didn't expect that given the speeds around the AMP track anyways.  Now that I think about it the coolant temp may have spiked this particular time when I blew off some of my vacuum lines.  Too bad the Go Pro didn't actually take video to watch and learn from.