HybridZ

Weber Throttle Body Questions...

LanceVance

Okay, my original plan for my ground up MS engine build was to use a 240sx TB on an N42 Intake manifold for a supremely clean engine bay. Recently however, I had an N42 Intake manifold mated to a Weber Throttle Body fall into my lap. The previous owner said he got it a few years after buying his 75' Z new, so I figure why not keep this vintage performance upgrade? (Let’s not get into the argument as to whether or not this IS actually an upgrade) Best of all, the intake is already ported to flow better with this TB. I had already started to shave my other N42 manifold, but now I'm starting to consider starting all over on this one.

I do have a few questions though:

I want everything looking new, and plan sandblasting and rebuilding this thing...

has anyone done this before and have any advice?

I will be having the springs. nuts, and other zinc coated tidbits redone in a

hard black zinc plate, but does anyone know where to get these plastic

ball/socket joints new?

SocketJoints.jpg

Lastly, and probably most importantly it seems my throttle position sensor is

missing the cover. It looks as though its the same as the stock 280z sensor, but has anyone ever mated a 240sx TPS to this throttle body, or can I just pull any TPS of an EFI Z and go? would the 240sx be better for MS? (Weber left, 240sx right)

ThrottlePositionSensors.jpg

Ported out... Look at how thick that butterfly valve is!? Maybe I'll knife-edge it...

WeberButterfly.jpg

Further out... looks wrong without the cover on the TPS...

WeberTPS.jpg

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Edited by LanceVance

<<...does anyone know where to get these plastic

ball/socket joints new?>>

You can still get them from Nissan. You don't really need a new one unless they're bent, worn-out or cracked. Is it because it's loose where it connects the the spherical ball on the throttle body? When I changed to a Weber, I had to replace the Weber's 2.5mm ball to a 3.5mm. You can get them from Redlineracing.

For the TPS, I'm pretty sure that for the 280ZXT's they are a throttle position switch (2-wire) and the 240SX ones are a throttle position sensor (3 wire). The 240SX probably won't work, use a multimeter on the resistance (ohm) setting to compare the two.

Edited by hughdogz

It's not loose or cracked, but considering I'm going to take everything apart for plating and sandblasting, I just didn't want to bolt on the old yellowed plastic pieces onto fresh new looking parts. I've looked at some Weber parts on Redline and It looks like they have some linkage rods that should be able to replace the whole rod. I just need to figure out what size.

Looking at something like this (Weber site wasn't loading picutres as I wrote this for some reason):

http://www.advancedautomotives.com/weber-throttle-linkage-rod-428-p.asp

As for the TPS, I figure it will probably be better If I just find a new one off of a ZX from the JY.

Thanks much hughdogs!

Edited by LanceVance

I recently picked one of these throttle bodies at the local jy. Your butterfly is thick in comparison to mine! The one i picked up has the standard thin butterfly... odd

There were two 60mm aftermarket throttle bodies. The original one made by Weber and a later copy made by TWM. Although the TWM one has the thinner throttle blade it was not as well made as the Weber one and if you bought a new one you had to re-use your ultra-fine pitch idle adjust screw.

Unfortunately the later TWM one is also referred to as a "Weber Big Throat".

There were two 60mm aftermarket throttle bodies. The original one made by Weber and a later copy made by TWM. Although the TWM one has the thinner throttle blade it was not as well made as the Weber one and if you bought a new one you had to re-use your ultra-fine pitch idle adjust screw.

Unfortunately the later TWM one is also referred to as a "Weber Big Throat".

Does the TWM throttle body also have the weber stamping under the linkage?

Hi LanceVance,

Another option to either new linkage pieces from Nissan or Redline is to go with a throttle cable. You can then shave off the linkage towers from the intake manifold.

I've never done it myself, but it doesn't seem that difficult to do, and I've seen quite a few discussions on it on this forum.

Well, the idea of running a cable setup beneath the intake manifold was something I had considered for a while, but I've yet to figure out if I would have clearance issues with the Turbo manifold, and if I could work out the connection to the TB without any kinks. If I was to go cable, I would want it hidden as much as possible. It looks like most people that do cable conversions have it running on the outer side of the intake, and that wouldn't work with this TB as the linkage is on the inner side?

If i could route it to the TB under the intake and then have a loop that would allow for the cable to pull down on the throttle arm, that might work, and there is even a vacuum port on that on the TB that I will end up plugging that would give me some mounting space... Not sure what kind of effect that sharp of a bend would have on the cable action though?

Anybody run a throttle cable setup like this??

Lowrider,

excerpt from TWM website

"Does TWM make other throttle bodies not intended for carburetor replacement?

Yes, TWM manufactures several dedicated injection manifolds to convert engines to individual runner EFI for racing purposes. We also make the 2000 Series throttle bodies which are dedicated injection manifolds for Honda, Ford, VW, and others. TWM also produces some large bore single barrel units which have many applications and several throttle bodies for upgrading original equipment EFI systems including the “Big Throat†throttle bodies for Datsun Z cars."

http://twminduction.com/faq/throttle_body_faq.html

I can't find anything about different butterflys or differences in manufacturing, but I'm inclined to think that if TWM used Weber's design that Weber's name would stay on the TB. It looks like Weber and TWM teamed up on a lot of things, although now TWM is owned by Borla.