Now for the fun part

3-27-10019.jpg

3-27-10018.jpg

4-3-10007.jpg

And then cover it up...

5-16-10014.jpg

5-29-10014.jpg

5-29-10017.jpg

I am not quite finished yet but it looks like it will work. Keep it as high as you can. Remote fuel fill would still be an option (hidden behind license plate). I am going to shave original fuel cap fill door. I hope that helps.

Gord

Edited by gmac708

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of removing the spare tire well also. One thing that was pointed out to me (I plan on keeping the stock tank) is that the tank presses against the tire well, so if it is removed, the tank won't mount properly. One thing I'm noticing for myself is that the drivers side strap appears to be welded to the tire well, so if you cut that off, no more strapping point (correct me if I'm wrong).

I assume that installing a fuel cell involves more than just mounting it in place. Fuel outlet lines, I assume, are different size than stock and mating it to the stock fuel system may be an issue?

My tire well was completely rusted through, that's why I'm doing mine. If you don't need to remove it, I would advise against it.

post-12144-060348900 1287081873_thumb.jpg

post-12144-095565800 1287082036_thumb.jpg

I cut out mine as well, and immediately had to consider the OEM mounting points since I decided to use the original tank. I also modified my tank, adding 5" to it. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. I would have been spent way less time fitting in a fuel cell.

This shows the metal I added. I MIG welded it, pressure tested it, and ended up with 31 leaks, haha. Eventually I took it to my brother who is a great TIG welder, and we fixed it all.

tanktape.jpg

Since I used the original straps, I need that hanging point from the peice mounted to the spare tire well. I took some measurements and ended up making this...

9-20-2007-17.jpg

I also modified the cross-member so I would have more clearance with dual exhaust.

9-20-2007-05.jpg

What I didn't show is the upper brace for the tank. Since the original tank was 'pulled up' against the spare tire well, and mine was no longer there, I took some 3/4" square tubing and mounted it horizontally front-to-rear, adhered some rubber, and everything cinched up great. I am still using this set up today.

In hindsight though, I would never try this again. A fuel cell would have been easier, and more functional. Someday I will probably take this out and replace it with a cell...

Cheers

Ryan~

• 1 year later...

11-8-09014.jpg

11-8-09015.jpg

11-8-09016.jpg

...that was easy

Now for the fun part

3-27-10019.jpg

3-27-10018.jpg

4-3-10007.jpg

And then cover it up...

5-16-10014.jpg

5-29-10014.jpg

5-29-10017.jpg

I am not quite finished yet but it looks like it will work. Keep it as high as you can. Remote fuel fill would still be an option (hidden behind license plate). I am going to shave original fuel cap fill door. I hope that helps.

Gord

Couple questions ....what size fuel cell is that and what year is that 240z ? no tool/storage boxes so is it a first generation 240z ?