HybridZ

Drive by wire 280zx

jkupp2000

Drive by wire   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should this be done or not

My thought is Why? What benefits would it have and are you sure the mounting holes are spaced correctly?

I can think of some good reasons, but they would be more suited to a very large throttle body.

You could have non-linear throttle response, you could setup the throttle position to correspond to engine torque, use it as a idle control (though a bypass would probably be easier), use as another point in your immobilizer, set it up as a launch control, etc, etc.

Go for it, if nothing else you have given a project a go and learnt something new.

I can think of some good reasons, but they would be more suited to a very large throttle body.

You could have non-linear throttle response, you could setup the throttle position to correspond to engine torque, use it as a idle control (though a bypass would probably be easier), use as another point in your immobilizer, set it up as a launch control, etc, etc.

Go for it, if nothing else you have given a project a go and learnt something new.

Thanks for that information, you made some good points. I hadn't thought about it that way for someone who wanted to go that in-depth with programming it there could be advantages. :)

I'm with Garvice. Unless you have some terrible boost transition traction issues...

And then, that is what makes driving a "Skill" drive by wire puts throttle response into the engineer's hands, and not the drivers.

Anything that can alter my direct connection to the vehicles inputs and feedback is 'bad' for my driving experience.

I'm sure traction and stability control is a great thing for a passenger vehicle, it adds safety, and etc (or does it?) But really if driving becomes nothing more than punching the button mashing the throttle and pointing it with hte car making all the decisions to keep you 'safe' what is the point of driving then? Take the bus and at least get some sleep!

The latest Consumer's Reports rates one of the SUV's out there "Unacceptable" because SOMETIMES when the throttle is abruptly lifted in a hard corner the vehicles Stability Control doesn't ALWAYS stop it from swapping ends! Like this is a fault. That manufacturers now make vehicles that do not give the driver feedback on the basic laws of physics is DANGEROUS IMO. That an automobile rating agency now considers a car doing what physics SAYS it should do under given conditions is now 'defective' smacks of Naderisim taken to it's (il)logical conclusion!

If anybody wants to see the logical 'drive by wire' conclusion, get the Japanese Anime "Ex Driver"---its about Japan with auto-drive cars. To keep the cars that get 'haywire' from a computer malfunction they have a team of drivers who run in totally human controlled cars that go shoot-out the sensors on all four corners of the auto-drive cars.

Throughout the movie you see people getting in the car, and saying where they want to go, then sleeping. When a car malfunctions, all the cars signal (why do they need signals?) and pull over to the side where the Ex-Drivers blast along to incapacitate the rogue vehicle. The people inside are terrified by the 'uncontrolled' vehicle. (Somewhat like Camry Owners...)

The Ex Drivers have interesting vehicles. Lancia Stratos, Lotus Super 7... Very technically correct with good engine sounds and technical drawings of the vehicles engine bays.

And of course in the Movie, they come to America (Los Angeles) for an Ex Driver Competition. One of the American Ex Drivers runs around in a.... you guessed it: 240Z!

I started with the series when it came out, and it took four episodes before it got to a 240Z. In America. With Italian Mobsters eating Spaghetti...

What about Italian Mobsters driving S30's? ;)

All I can think of with the future like that is "Kill Me Now"

Drive-By-Wire....

Pffffft!

ex-d2.jpg

Shuddup! It's an Ex-Driver car! No drive-by-wire on that one!

Edited by Tony D

newer cars use the dbw throttle system for many functions .like cruise control,traction control and emission control.remember back in the 70's and 80's that belt driven smog air pump that dumped air into the exhaust?job is now handled by the efi ecm and the dbw throttle.when you let off of the gas rolling down to a stop sign the ecm cuts the fuel but the dbw leaves the throttle open-same job performed with less parts.

newer cars use the dbw throttle system for many functions .like cruise control,traction control and emission control.remember back in the 70's and 80's that belt driven smog air pump that dumped air into the exhaust?job is now handled by the efi ecm and the dbw throttle.when you let off of the gas rolling down to a stop sign the ecm cuts the fuel but the dbw leaves the throttle open-same job performed with less parts.

No it's not. Air injection is still handled by the air injection equipment, activated by the ECU. The purpose of air injection was originally to burn HC in the exhaust, but now it also has the function of getting the catalytic converter up to temperature quicker and helping it function more efficiently.

Opening the throttle when coasting isn't "air injection".

I seems like a waste of time an money on these car all the linkage is short and usually has no problems whatsoever. Do you want your Z car taking off on its own like some of the Toyota Prius cars did. I think, keep it simple stupid, applies here. At least if there is something wrong with mechanical linkage you can usually see it and fix. Computer glitches are much harder to deal with and track down.

I can completely agree with that except for the fact that Gm Drive by Wire is SO easy to adapt to any vehicle that it's just as easy if not easier to adapt as a cable throttle to most any motor. With the added benefit of the ability to have cruise control.

That being said, I like a cable throttle for it's "feel"

That being said, I like a cable throttle for it's "feel"

Is that a feel of springs in the throttle, the feel of the cable stretching or the instant acceleration from a well tuned responsive engine? A properly designed dbw system should "Feel" no different to the driver. Problem is most manufacturers have some sort of delay, especially on lifting the throttle. I have had a car where the PO had installed springs of the wrong length. You would get to 3/4 throttle, then you would have to push harder as the springs were getting near their limit. The feel of that mechanical throttle was horrible.

Speaking of throttle failures, I have also had an idle screw (the one that cracks the throttle plate open just that little bit) wind itself right into the throttle as the lock nut had come loose. This meant that I was sitting at a red light with the engine pulling 7k while I was burning my hand trying to unwind the screw. So failures are not limited to electronic systems. People just assume mechanical issues are easier to fix as they can see them, but to other people electrical problems are easier to identify.

Edited by garvice