HybridZ

Turbo upgrade for 1982 280ZX

darkzebra

Open to suggestions on a turbo upgrade for my 82 280ZX, that would not include major modifications (I can't weld). Would be happy with 300 RWHP on stock bottom end with 100K, so don't really need anything exotic.

Already upgraded fuel pump to Walbro, installed ISUZU IC, and 3" exhaust. Installed oil pump and oil cooler from 81 280ZXT. MS and EDIS in the works.

Plan to do a 3" or 2.5" DP when I can locate someone here who will undertake its fabrication.

All suggestions are welcome.

Edited by darkzebra

I am running SlowBoy Racing's Garrett GT30 T3/T4 w/ .70 A/R Compressor with a 4" ported shroud, a .63 A/R turbine, and stage 3 wheels. I like it a lot, just have to make a down pipe work for it. The factory Nissan flange on the back of the turbo is not a common flange that you will find, better to upgrade any ways.

• 2 weeks later...

A good cheap turbo is the holset hy35, i am using one right know and it makes great power.

Also on one of my other S130's i have a Turbonetics - 60-1 HiFi / F1-62 .63 A/R it is a much better turbo aside from the holset witch stands for reson.

If you have the money i say go with a Garret 30r or the turbonetics 60 series.

If your not rolling in doe go with the holset.

I second Brad's recommendation.

T04E-50 trim is about the best match for a L28.

Use the stock turbine since you are planning to use the stock cam. The power band of the stock turbine matches the power band of the stock cam very well. However, I would recommend you use a NA cam which good for another 400 or 500 rpms of useable power over the turbo cam.

If you plan to change the cam to something bigger, then open up the turbine to match, as bigger cams with more overlap don't do well with small restrictive early spooling turbines.

More important to use a bigger down pipe with a small restrictive turbine (stock). So, use the 3 inch down pipe.

FYI, you are going to need about 18 psi of boost to make 300 hp at the wheels with a stock NA cam and head.

I second Brad's recommendation.

T04E-50 trim is about the best match for a L28.

Use the stock turbine since you are planning to use the stock cam. The power band of the stock turbine matches the power band of the stock cam very well. However, I would recommend you use a NA cam which good for another 400 or 500 rpms of useable power over the turbo cam.

If you plan to change the cam to something bigger, then open up the turbine to match, as bigger cams with more overlap don't do well with small restrictive early spooling turbines.

More important to use a bigger down pipe with a small restrictive turbine (stock). So, use the 3 inch down pipe.

FYI, you are going to need about 18 psi of boost to make 300 hp at the wheels with a stock NA cam and head.

Already had a 1981 head rebuilt - just a simple build.

I have decided to go with the T04E-50 trim, standard turbine. I want quick spool-up (I back off after hitting 100 mph!). I was planning on running dual boost - 10 psi regular and 15 psi on demand.

Pfabrications.com sells the turbo for $600. Anyone dealt with them before? Is that a good price?

My next problem is installing an external wastegate. I want to avoid using an external wastegate adapter between the manifold and turbo, so as not to push the turbo closer to the steering gear, and because it would also make the 3" DP even harder to fab. Anyone has ideas or photos of other arrangement for an external wastegate on an S130? In fact any recommendation on who can do a 3" SS DP for me in Queens, NYC?

Again, Thanks everyone!

Edited by darkzebra

Hum, I did 334whp / 384wtq @ 16psi with a stock head, turbo cam, intake and turbo manifold. 7psi I was over 240whp.

Turbo is a turbonetics ball bearing 62-1 stg 5 turbine.

Already had a 1981 head rebuilt - just a simple build.

I have decided to go with the T04E-50 trim, standard turbine. I want quick spool-up (I back off after hitting 100 mph!). I was planning on running dual boost - 10 psi regular and 15 psi on demand.

Pfabrications.com sells the turbo for $600. Anyone dealt with them before? Is that a good price?

My next problem is installing an external wastegate. I want to avoid using an external wastegate adapter between the manifold and turbo, so as not to push the turbo closer to the steering gear, and because it would also make the 3" DP even harder to fab. Anyone has ideas or photos of other arrangement for an external wastegate on an S130? In fact any recommendation on who can do a 3" SS DP for me in Queens, NYC?

Again, Thanks everyone!

This is for a s30 but should give you some idea

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/88833-finaly-got-a-few-pics-of-my-external-wastegate/page__p__843874__fromsearch__1#entry843874

Hum, I did 334whp / 384wtq @ 16psi with a stock head, turbo cam, intake and turbo manifold. 7psi I was over 240whp.

Turbo is a turbonetics ball bearing 62-1 stg 5 turbine.

In "boost" theory, if you add 18 psi of boost to an engine that makes 135hp at the wheels then you should get 300hp at the wheels if everything is setup correctly. (18 + 14.7)/14.7= 2.224 and 2.224 x 135 = 300.

In your case, 334hp with 16 psi and 240hp with 7 psi means your engine was making 160-162hp at the wheels with no boost. I would say a completely stock turbo engine with no boost will not make 160hp at the wheels, but its your dyno results, not mine.

In "boost" theory, if you add 18 psi of boost to an engine that makes 135hp at the wheels then you should get 300hp at the wheels if everything is setup correctly. (18 + 14.7)/14.7= 2.224 and 2.224 x 135 = 300.

In your case, 334hp with 16 psi and 240hp with 7 psi means your engine was making 160-162hp at the wheels with no boost. I would say a completely stock turbo engine with no boost will not make 160hp at the wheels, but its your dyno results, not mine.

That's most likely dynojet results; which are setup to mimic crank hp (everybody knows that right?). I don't get why people take dyno numbers as anything meaningful....

You must take into consideration the 135hp is on a stock tune ;)

Most dynos I have seen of stock 280zx turbos have been 130whp-140whp area. Take that and add FMIC, open exhaust, 3" DP, more efficient turbo high flow intake system (no AFM), a tune on 93 pump fuel and the results my surprise you even at the same boost levels.

Edited by jc052685

I would love to dyno my car but it recently started running real bad my P90a head needs a rebuild and I'm gonna be putting in my spare P90 head in. My turbo is AiResearch T3/TO4E

Not sure on other details about the turbo.

Stock P90a head

F54 stock Block

87 Z31 Turbo ECU

Steeda Tri-Ax short shifter

Exedy Clutch

Stock exhaust with Megan muffler

MSD SS Blaster coil

Edited by 280zx@541

friend of mine dyno'd his 77 turbo last year.

F54 dished piston block

stock P79 head

stock manifolds

2-1/2 inch exhaust with aerochamber muffler

stock T3 and wastegate

big IC

7 to 8 psi of boost

27 degrees of timing

12.5 a/f

made 200hp and 240ftlbs at the wheels.

then ran 14.0 at 100 mph in the 1/4 mile

• 3 years later...