HybridZ

Maserati 4.2L

240zip

I saw this transplanted into a rat rod. It has four cams, four dual down draft webers. Mates to ZF 5 speed. I'm going to guess it would be a nearly impossible swap even if the engine were nearly free. About 260 HP stock, likely 280 with a free flowing exhaust. Sometimes these cars come into the wrecking yard for almost nothing.

The 4.2L 4 cam engine was from a 1984. $999 for the whole car, but it came with an automatic. I also found another interesting engine - a Porsche 928 2 cam v8 with a five speed. In both cases you're talking an insane amount to do the swap and then expense it maintaining it. I think the Maserati engine would be great for someone doing a Ferrari GTO / 250 replica conversion. With the ZF 5 speed (which mates to the engine with no problem) and the 4 double down draft webers, you'd have an incredible car. The Maserati engine came in the Indy and a few other cars of that era. I was tempted to take the engine and clean it up and have it on display in my shop just because I love the look of it.

The 4.2L 4 cam engine was from a 1984. $999 for the whole car, but it came with an automatic. I also found another interesting engine - a Porsche 928 2 cam v8 with a five speed. In both cases you're talking an insane amount to do the swap and then expense it maintaining it. I think the Maserati engine would be great for someone doing a Ferrari GTO / 250 replica conversion. With the ZF 5 speed (which mates to the engine with no problem) and the 4 double down draft webers, you'd have an incredible car. The Maserati engine came in the Indy and a few other cars of that era. I was tempted to take the engine and clean it up and have it on display in my shop just because I love the look of it.

do not buy the 928 engine they always overheat i had a 928 and the block cracked those engines are terrible there fast but they will overheat my friends dad made it through college replace heads on 928s do not buy it!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Lol! I started this project back in Nov 1999. I put up a thread here in '03 with an S15 SR20DET & 6 speed conversion but things have changed slightly over the years.

Here's the original topic below, however I will be posting a new topic with this conversion soon.

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2019 at 10:31 PM, nixcars said:

I'm pretty sure this is the first Z ever with a Maserati V8 in it, I have not seen one on any other forums but I could be wrong.

I've had it going & had it's first test drive on the weekend... few bugs to iron out tho!

IMG_1200 (1).MOV 20.13 MB · 12 downloads

Hey guys! I am hot on this trail. I am shocked at how inexpensive the long block can be had for a 4.2L F136 engine can be on Ebay. Especially when my desired option (rb26dett) is running $5-6k at the moment. Does anyone know if these engines can be managed with a fully independent EFI, or if some part of the mechanical operation must be managed by a Ferarri ECU (such as VVT)? Here is my assessment:

PRO

1) these engines sounds GREAT!!!

2) Being a ferarri engine, I am assuming the engineering is impecable, and weight and racing ability has been taken into account. Don't have any direct knowledge though

CON

1) parts will be expensive or will need to be fabricated

2) mounts will need to be fabricated. I have some practice with a MIG welder now, so I feel confident on this one. 

There is nothing magical about any engine.

If you're going to go standalone ECU, and get one with enough inputs and outputs, then you can control any engine out there, and every feature it could ever have.

I believe the Maserati uses a Bosch ECU, so more than likely all their sensors are Bosch if that's the case. 

Do your research, do some more research, give up, come back and do more research, and then eventually just pull the trigger on one that seems to have everything you would need. 

2 hours ago, Neverdone said:

There is nothing magical about any engine.

If you're going to go standalone ECU, and get one with enough inputs and outputs, then you can control any engine out there, and every feature it could ever have.

I believe the Maserati uses a Bosch ECU, so more than likely all their sensors are Bosch if that's the case. 

Do your research, do some more research, give up, come back and do more research, and then eventually just pull the trigger on one that seems to have everything you would need. 

Understood. I have experience managing ignition and fuel (timing and quantity). I have experience using independent sensors to perform those two functions (and tossing those that come with the engine). However, I do not have any experience managing variable valve timing, or any other active electro-mechanical actuation that needs to take place, beyond fuel and ignition. 

Question was for the group, if anyone had any direct experience with the Ferarri F136 here. Information online is sparse but I'm still looking. 

For example, you could not swap a BMW N54 engine, toss the harness, and manage fully independently with a generic EFI system. Many mechanical aspects of the engine are electronically actuated by the BMW ECU (or aftermarket equivalent) which go beyond just ignition timing and fuel. I believe electronic valve actuation also needs to be managed, which i don't have experience with. 

PS: thank you for the reply :)

Edited by AydinZ71

• 3 weeks later...

Question was for the group, if anyone had any direct experience with the Ferarri F136 here. Information online is sparse but I'm still looking. 

If you're on Facebook, there's a Megasquirt group which may be able to answer some of your questions.  If somebody out there has done it, (especially odd, euro engines) it was probably with a MS unit.