HybridZ

Door Spring is missing

TomoHawk

Guest Anonymous

Another spring from a similar year datsun may work. The original door spring had a tension for that particular door weight application and to operate correctly may require an original type spring. A lot of the old 70 model Datsun cars and pick ups without periodic lubrication had spring and hinge pin problems that were ripping the door hinges loose from the door wells.

TomoHawk

You might consider investing in an inexpensive ($10) parts interchange guide such as I sell at http://www.zparts.com/literature/icminfo.html

It will serve you for many years past the point of just using it to find the correct hinge for your car.

It will show you clearly that Nissan used 3 different upper and 2 different door hinges on 70-78 Z cars. Try to install the wrong one from the wrong production date and most likely your door will not close or latch properly, but I do not know that for certain.

btw, I propably have door hinges from all 70-78 models as well if you can't find the correct one in your area.

• 4 years later...

My door hinges may need some help. On the lower hinges (the ones with the spring) the little round cylinder shaped piece of metal that the spring arm travels on is deeply grooved with some indents. These cause the door to sometimes pop when opening and closing the door. I assume these little pieces used to be round and the indentations are causing the "pop".

Can these pieces be sourced to refurbish the hinges?

Thanks.