HybridZ

Ignition Wire

hey Hybridz'ers,

I know there's an answer to everything about the Z, but this one I haven't seemed to find, which has only led me to solve the problem temporarily. I've just recently finished my restoration on my basically stock 71 240z. I have it running and driveable. The issue i have is with my ignition wire to the ignition switch. When I received my car back from the shop, there was an issue with my car starting, it seemed weak and inconsistent. I instantly thought to myself it was the battery being drained? so i decided to put in an extra battery I had laying around with a little more juice. When I replaced the battery and properly connected everything back I cranked her over. Immediately the car started and kept running, but I noticed there was smoke coming from the fire wall on the battery side? I turned off the car and checked, nothing seemed fried or burnt? I tried starting her again, absolutely nothing?

After searching and searching on what the problem was, I found out that I wasn't getting any continuity through the ignition wire? I traced back the wire under the dash back toward the alternator, everything seemed fine? How I temporarily solved this problem was to run a wire straight from the battery to the ignition switch, and it worked. This seems to work for the car but there are a few things that concern me...

-none of the car internal lights, or electronics work when the key is in the "on" position. (I.E. radio, dome lights, can't switch headlights on)

-When the car is running, all electronics work.

-battery gets weaker every 2 weeks and I have to recharge it, alternator seems like its not recharging the battery

I can tell you definitely that I screwed up the ignition wire somehow? Everything looks fine? All my connections and grounds are all good. I've traced back the circuit and everything. The only thing that comes to mind is that some wires might be touching and causing a short which is not supplying power to the car when the key is in the "on" position.

If anyone can chime in, or help out, it'll be greatly appreciated... thank you in advance, sorry for the long post

The fact that your accessories are not working (lights) when the car is off but are working when it is on leads me to believe you have an issue with your ignition switch. Make sure the plug is firmly seated. It could have come loose. I had s similar issue. I could drive my car for a while and start it up with no problem. However, periodically I would not have any power whatsoever to the starter (ignition wire). I could jump the car by touch a wire to the battery terminal and the starter solenoid though.

You could also have a defective ignition switch.

Edit: Saying that, I saw you mentioned smoke. Check the accessory relay which is located kick panel by the passenger foot well. Take the magical smoke seriously. :) However, that should not affect your lights. Your lights should turn on with the key out of the ignition (they are not on an ignition hot circuit).

Edited by ktm

Thanks ktm for your reply,

I thought it was also a bad ignition switch, so I bought a new one. Its the same result, nothing with the original ignition wire. But when connected to my "make-shift" ignition wire its the same situation, works fine when running, nothing when its off.

I'm going to trace the wire back again. We'll see what I find this time.

I am also gonna check my switch again.