HybridZ

do you HAVE to cut your floor for a fuel cell?

revlis240

Can I ask a dumb question?

Why do we HAVE to cut the floor to mount the fuel cell? Can it just sit inside the trunk with mounting straps? I never plan to take my car to the track, just weekend street driving. someone took all the vent lines and such off my my stock gas tank and I just have this (perhaps wrong) thought that it would be cleaner/better to get one of the summit racing fuel cells and mount it inside the trunk.

is there some general knowledge i dont have? or did I miss a memo on why everyone cuts their floor?

I searched google and the Grand National guys just mount the fuel cell in their trunk, no cutting.

A Tank link this

Mounted like this

IMG_0747.jpg

Edited by revlis240

^^^ What he said.

The GN has a separated trunk, so mounting the tank and battery in there without covering them is fine. But in a hatchback rules say you must have your battery enclosed (depending on rules, but enough that many people go ahead and enclose them) and your tank be separated in some way as well.

I personally would rather have the trunk space anyways... Comes in handy from time to time.

If it's just a weekend warrior the stock fuel tank is more than adequate. Just replace the missing fuel vent lines. All new lines are available and cheaper than a fuel cell. Then you don't have to give up hatch space or a spare tire well. JMHO

Edited by Dan Juday

• 5 months later...

No, you don't have to cut anything. There are 'spare tire cels' that go in there and you put the sheetmetal cover over them...

Now, on that 'Third Degree Burns Hurt'...technically the nerve damage prevents the burn itself from hurting (so I'm told, they always were painful to me...)

Apparently it's the healing and restoration of the nerves (or overstimulation during the debreeding) that hurts like hell!

Let's change the subject now, shall we?

^ This is correct. Tissue that has received a third degree has killed the nerve endings. The surrounding tissue that did not receive full thickness burns will continue to feel pain though. I don't work on a burn unit but I would have to surmize that although debridement of said tissue would still not feel pain because nerve endings do not regenerate.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone just mount the fuel cell in the stock location under the car without going through the work of cutting out the spare tire well? I don't have a welder yet so this would make things much easier. Unless of course, there is a reason that won't work.

Yes they can be mounted in the stock location, but filling becomes an issue. The wall between the tank is supposed to be made of a non-flamable/non-porous material (read metal. In the event of a wreck it's to prevent splash and burns.

On the subject of burns. Anyone see that "Skin Gun" for treating burns with skin stim cells. Like air brushing your own skin back on. no more horrible scars, Search you-tube for Skin gun. and keep your mind out of the gutter.

Could someone just mount the fuel cell in the stock location under the car without going through the work of cutting out the spare tire well? I don't have a welder yet so this would make things much easier. Unless of course, there is a reason that won't work.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/96955-a-%E2%80%9Cstock%E2%80%9D-fuel-tank-solution/page__p__910658__hl__%2Bfuel+%2Btank+%2Bsolution__fromsearch__1#entry910658

Yes they can be mounted in the stock location, but filling becomes an issue. The wall between the tank is supposed to be made of a non-flamable/non-porous material (read metal. In the event of a wreck it's to prevent splash and burns.

On the subject of burns. Anyone see that "Skin Gun" for treating burns with skin stim cells. Like air brushing your own skin back on. no more horrible scars, Search you-tube for Skin gun. and keep your mind out of the gutter.

HAHAHAHA! I didn't even think about skin gun being dirty until you said to keep your mind out of the gutter. That is hilarious dude! LOL!