HybridZ

chevy v8 vs. 1999 5.7L corvette engine

Perandor

So, I'm buying a 1973 240z shell, and the owner has a disassembled Chevy 350 engine, total price $440. I found the Corvette engine for $650, but it would have to be completely rebuilt. I'm looking for at least 280 hp, would it be cheaper, seeing as I'm a poor college student, to uprage the 350, or just get the Corvette engine and not upgrade it? Thanks,

Joe

If you're only looking for 280hp then the SBC 350 that came with the car would very easily be able to get there with some common modifications. The LS1 'Vette engine on the other hand made 345 horsepower and 350 lbft of torque bone stock. It really depends on how much you're looking to invest in time and what your skills are. If you shudder at the thought of wiring a modern fuel injected engine into your Z then it's not for you.

I'd recommend reading the stickies in the Gen III & IV Chevy V8 section to get some ideas on the cost and labor involved.

Edited by blue72