HybridZ

I'm finally starting my DIY car paint (240Z)

logan1

Well I decided to go the DIY route on everything i have done to my car so far. Hence it only seemed logical to go DIY on the car paint itself. This is the first time i am painting a car and hopefully i do a good job. Please feel free to share any painting tips /advise or pitfalls from you DIY painting experience.

I have finished all the body work (a real pita) and an in the process of creating my garage paint booth for painting my car.

IMG_0064-3.jpg

IMG_0065-3.jpg

IMG_0068-1.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0073-1.jpg

IMG_0067-1.jpg

IMG_0067-1.jpg

I keep this thread updated i i progress through the painting process through the coming week or so.

Part 2 : Paint Supplies

Ok so i got the spot lights from HF.

IMG_0067-2.jpg

Next on my list were the paint supplies:

The car paint scheme is going to be Viper Red body with Gloss Black ZG flares and a carbon fiber Sparrow tail spoiler. Also I was able to borrow a friends brothers DeVilbliss GTI gun to paint the car

IMG_0066-2.jpg

IMG_0075-1.jpg

IMG_0077-1.jpg

misc supplies:

IMG_0068-2.jpg

3M compounds and buffer for the final color sand and buff:

IMG_0069-1.jpg

Carbon Fiber Sparrow tail spoiler:

1863_pd1851177_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

**Update on car paint**

Unfortunately i had to travel for work all of this week and hence progress on the car has been slow. I just finished spraying the final coat of primer tonight. Tomorrow i'll do some sanding in the morning and hopefully i'll have the color and clear done by the end of the day.

Below are a few pictures of the primer. It has a 1 or 2 flaws but i'll fix that tomorrow morning before shooting a coat of sealer.

IMG_0064-5.jpg

IMG_0065-5.jpg

IMG_0066-3.jpg

IMG_0067-3.jpg

IMG_0068-3.jpg

IMG_0075-2.jpg

IMG_0069-2.jpg

IMG_0072-3.jpg

i'm just curious why you didn't remove the antenna mast. you've done an extraordinary job in dismantling

everything else. you've done a really good job putting up plastic everywhere. for a homeowners garage paint job, it should come out pretty dirt,dust,bug free.

pretty sick, you're doing it all yourself!

just a tip that may help: if u have a problem with dust, try placing news papers on the ground and wet them down. not to the point where you'll have water puddles. but yeah. it will help! especially when you get into your base and clear!

**Update on car paint**

unfortunately i fell short of my goal of getting the color and clear on today. I had a few lil flaws that i needed to correct and then i shot an extra layer of primer before i could start shooting the color.

Below are a few pictures of the color. For my first ever car paint i think it came out rather well. I am really pleased with the results and hope i don't screw-up the clear coat. let me know what you guys think of the car so far.

IMG_0074-2.jpg

IMG_0069-3.jpg

IMG_0070-4.jpg

IMG_0066-4.jpg

IMG_0067-4.jpg

IMG_0078-1.jpg

IMG_0072-4.jpg

IMG_0065-6.jpg

Edited by logan1

Got any runs that bother you now? if you clear over them they'll bother you even more. Best to fix them now.

But... if you can live with them no worries then.

looks better than some so called professional auto body shops do. if you're worried about the clear coat, i'de do one of the smaller body panels you've got hanging up first. if you mess that up its much easier than re-doing the

body of the car.

i like to put on a light first coat (tack coat) of clear and wait till its tacky. that way your successive coats of clear

have something holding it on and not running.

Not bad. I really like how your hood came out. There is this new clear coat run filler that 3m makes but I am not suer where to get it. Its a 2 part epoxy that you mix, similar to bondo. Lay it lightly over the run like glaze and when it dries, you wet sand it down slightly with 800 grit so the run will go down evenly as you sand. If you sand it normally, it all goes down together and the run is always there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...