HybridZ

JTR guys, you have to move the motor when swapping trans?

All but 1 of the bolts seem to be able to be removed. One of the bolts on the passanger side (second one from the bottom) is like 1/2" away from the firewall. So im guessing the motor either has to be loosened and moved forward or they have to come out together (motor+trans). Not cool! Did you guys hammer that part of the firewall to make it easier next time or is this just the norm for JTR mount guys?

Edited by revlis240

Here is the bolt:

mr4uc.jpg

The slot you refer to...is it on the cross member, what part on the car that the bolt went thru on the mount?

29z67oh.jpg

sebypz.jpg

Now is it just me or does it look like whoever installed my kit installed the mounts on the wrong side. Look at the pics above and compare to the pics here:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DAT200.html#flanges

What is says is meant for the pass side is on my drivers side. Right??

Edit: I think their picture is wrong because the way its installed is what the JTR manual calls for. Noone has caught this before?

Edited by revlis240

That is an easier way than what I have done. I unbolted the crossmember from the car, then jacked the frame up on the passenger side.

The easiest way to loosen that bolt is to loosen the motor mounts, then move the tailshaft of the trans down and to the drivers side.

Watch the dist to firewall when you do this.

jt

• 2 weeks later...

Easiest way I found is to cut holes in the firewall/floor pan where you can reach the bolts from inside the car. when done, patch the holes with a piece of aluminum and silicone sealer. If you need to remove the trans, cut the silicone, remove the patch, remove/install the bolts. It is all covered by carpet so can't see it.

Easiest way I found is to cut holes in the firewall/floor pan where you can reach the bolts from inside the car. when done, patch the holes with a piece of aluminum and silicone sealer. If you need to remove the trans, cut the silicone, remove the patch, remove/install the bolts. It is all covered by carpet so can't see it.

What?!? No duct tape Uncle Wayne??? :P

Davy

I just realized that even if I do get that bolt out (should be easy with the firewall cutting method), the firewall is so close to the back of the motor that I wonder...will i be able to get the input shaft to slide into the clutch? the bellhousing and clutch have to line up for the the input shaft to slip in. if the engine is so close to the firewall, the transmission will have to tilt to fit, thus the input shaft wont line up. I drew a pic for illustration.

34q4lm0.jpg

Its looking more like ill have to pull the engine. Dropping the auto trans wont be a problem, as there is no input shaft thats sliding into anything. but i dont have any room to slide the trans "back" or forward to get the input shaft to slide in. Make sense?

Edited by revlis240

Absolutely makes sense with a standard trans. However, I submit you can get enough engine tilt to install the trans if you either take the distributor cap off or remove the distributor entirely. If you need to, you may be able to slide the engine forward a touch if you have slotted the holes in the motor mount tower.

I pull my T5 trans off the bellhousing, then remove the bellhousing. That way I do not have to worry about the bellhousing causing clearance issues esp considering I still have the stock trans mounting ears.

If you were to do that trying to install the trans, how the heck would you get the TO bearing to latch onto the release fork? Doesnt the TO bearing fall off the release fork? Unlike other trans, the T5s release fork doesnt latch onto the to bearing, it seems to just be a loose connection onto the to bearing. Right?

EDIT: Im an idiot, I wasnt pushing the fork into the bearing all the way. I see exactly what you mean and I thank you! I think you just saved me hours of work. With the Firewall hole cutting/bellhousing first mounting method, I think ive got my T5 installation half figured out!!! Thanks guys :)

Will report back soon

Edited by revlis240