HybridZ

to Z or not to Z

hey there everyone, id appreciate if i could get your opinions and advise on my idea/dilemma. i found a 1977 240z for 1200. i haven't had a chance to look at it yet but so far i all i know is that its running pretty good, and the only rust is on one of the fenders. what i would like to do is a vq35 swap, its been done on the 240 would i be looking at anything than whats been done on any of the 240z?

hey there everyone, id appreciate if i could get your opinions and advise on my idea/dilemma. i found a 1977 240z for 1200. i haven't had a chance to look at it yet but so far i all i know is that its running pretty good, and the only rust is on one of the fenders. what i would like to do is a vq35 swap, its been done on the 240 would i be looking at anything than whats been done on any of the 240z?

Well my opinion is that Jerry brown sucks, but Meg whitmen looks like chucky(The killer doll) so she dcant be trusted. I vote mickey mouse.

Oh im sorry what was your question

Edited by stravi757

Do not buy it. You clearly have not done enough research and you will end up with a car in horrible shape that you will be unhappy with. You need to take some time and research about a car before you buy it. This is especially true when you are talking about cars as old as these. I am saying this because 240z's were not made in 1977. If you had done any research, this would be easily apparent. It has to be a 280z if that is the correct year. A VQ35 swap is a very in detail and VERY difficult engine swap to overcome. There is more involved than just some mounts and a quick wire job. The control system is much more complicated than that.

On a further note, I am not try to push you away or be rude in any way. Could you please take the time to use some proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. Your text is very hard to read and understand. It is almost as if a 10 year old has written the, uh, paragraph, above. Again, I am not trying to be rude, just and observation, I have a feeling you are not very old, probably around the same age as myself (17). :D

Take some time to read the information around the site. Stickies and the search function are your friend.

Well my opinion is that Jerry brown sucks, but Meg whitmen looks like chucky(The killer doll) so she dcant be trusted. I vote mickey mouse.

Oh im sorry what was your question

Personally think this is the wrong approach. Your pushing away, I am not saying give hand outs, but try guide more than shove. This is why hybridz is starting to become less of a good site. Members are way to cocky about everything. You guys need to remember that we are all car people of a form or another. Some are at different levels than other. We are all here for the same cause. Lets try to help each other more than hurt each other. B)

Personally think this is the wrong approach. Your pushing away, I am not saying give hand outs, but try guide more than shove. This is why hybridz is starting to become less of a good site. Members are way to cocky about everything. You guys need to remember that we are all car people of a form or another. Some are at different levels than other. We are all here for the same cause. Lets try to help each other more than hurt each other. B)

hmm, maybe I could have worded what I wrote differently. But I guess what I was trying to say is I have no idea what the hell he was asking.

would i be looking at anything than whats been done on any of the 240z?

hmm, maybe I could have worded what I wrote differently. But I guess what I was trying to say is I have no idea what the hell he was asking.

I don't blame you.

Advice for Rottenhope: Proofread, and make sure it makes sense once it's out of your head. I'm sure it made sense when you went to type it, but you have way too many words that don't match up grammatically. Also, do a lot of research, A LOT of it. If you find that the website search function isn't working like you would like it to, google search has a function to search within a website, use the forums.hybridz.org in an advanced search.

Sorry for the quick post, I guess it was a bit offensive for some, lol. It's supposed to say 260z for $1200. I wanted to be more specific and be more detailed than what I wrote, but I did not want to have the post turn into a 5 page deal. I know that it's going to be a difficult swap and it's not something that I would plan on starting right away,it's what I had in mind for the future. I'm glad you guys aren't trying to drive me away, because clearly that's why I posted in this forum to get the opinions and advise of people that are familiar with Nissan Z's. So hopefully this cleared up somethings, and once again i would appreciate your input.

Sorry for the quick post, I guess it was a bit offensive for some, lol. It's supposed to say 260z for $1200. I wanted to be more specific and be more detailed than what I wrote, but I did not want to have the post turn into a 5 page deal. I know that it's going to be a difficult swap and it's not something that I would plan on starting right away,it's what I had in mind for the future. I'm glad you guys aren't trying to drive me away, because clearly that's why I posted in this forum to get the opinions and advise of people that are familiar with Nissan Z's. So hopefully this cleared up somethings, and once again i would appreciate your input.

Well the 260z wasn't made in 1977 either So I'm guessing you mean 280z. ;) I would do some searching their are plenty of threads on this site about costs of certain swaps etc etc. I think it would be best to develop your own opinion on the swap because the situation is different for everyone and everyone has their own wants for what they want their car to be, how can we decide if a engine is correct for you if we don't know what the purpose of that car is going to be used for? plus there are personal tastes in mind also. Just do some searching this site has been around for 10 years and is full of almost any information you could need.

Well Welcome to Hybridz. You definitely need to look into that car a little more before you buy it. It's a really good idea to know what you're buying. Look at the Door plate, it'll tell you the true year of the car unless it's been changed. These cars are 30+ years old, which is pretty old for a car. That means that likely there's a lot more than just fixing the engine that it'll need. As other's have said, you really should read a bit and use the search functions here, there's a TON of information. There's also "stickies" listing the difference between the 240,260 and 280 Z cars.

for $1200, I'd expect a halfway decent shell, and engine that at least turns over and sputters. You really need to learn where these cars rust! Because, if you don't you might find one that doesn't look too bad, but is really going to cost a lot to fix even before you get to a swap. Keep in mind too that due to their age, there's not so many of them around so most of the time you'll be ordering parts, which means shipping costs. Not that junkyards can't be found, just that a lot of the parts are harder to find. Not to mention most of the rubber often needs to be replaced.

As for the Swap idea. I'm in the middle of one right now, and even on the super low budget built side I've already spent more than 2 grand just for parts with more to go. I highly recommend you read all you can before you decide on this swap. Especially read AHoke's TwistedSixx build, it's very good. Remember though 40% of builds never get completed. You will also need to download the manuals.

In the end though, it's your $$$$$ do with it what you will. We're here to give pointers and provide limited guidance based on our experience, but we expect to be well fed with lots of pictures. We love that. So read a bit and find out what exactly you're looking at buying. Make a list of costs and add 50%. If it still is something you want to do, then go tell your wife/GF that there's another woman in your life, A Fairlady...

Good luck.

Phar

Sorry to interject after this long, but why does everybody get the title phrase wrong? Mr. Shakespeare wrote, " To be or not? To BE, that is the question" and not what you usually hear. Sorry guys- it needed correcting. The new topic would be called 'To Z or not? To Z...'

Edited by TomoHawk

That's true, Shakespeare had a bit of a different intention then he wrote that. Much more IMO saying to "Live" rather than "be", But this is a different conversation, that should be discussed in another location. Right not we're talking about Rottenhope's ZCar dreams. So this could be phrased correctly as "To Z or not? To Z, is the question?"

In my reply above I pretty much replied, Z if you can afford the time and money, but wear a condom.

HAHAHA! (condom)

I think too many people turn away from the S30 because they don't want to put in what it takes to have a really classic car, and instead go for something cheap, IMO, and buy a 300ZX or 350Z, because you can fix it by plugging in your laptop computer. And "mods" are done by unbolting the old part, and bolting on a newer, prettier part.

A really classic car has a little dirt, a little rust, some well-worn ports, and gets a lot of personal attention.

HAHAHA! (condom)

I think too many people turn away from the S30 because they don't want to put in what it takes to have a really classic car, and instead go for something cheap, IMO, and buy a 300ZX or 350Z, because you can fix it by plugging in your laptop computer. And "mods" are done by unbolting the old part, and bolting on a newer, prettier part.

A really classic car has a little dirt, a little rust, some well-worn ports, and gets a lot of personal attention.

Huh? Me and my wife have between us, A 77, a 92TT, and a '04 Enthusiast. The 92TT is the most expensive to maintain, with the 350Z behind it, and the S30 way behind it. That's just maintenance. The only bolt-ons for the 350Z are expensive, and the only ones that are really worth anything are a supercharger kit or turbocharger. And those are real cheap. The Z32 has bolt-ons, but they aren't inexpensive either. Then there's my S30, which has few bolt-ons, but is by far the cheapest to maintain and modify.

I think you meant to say "easy" instead of cheap. Easy if you have money, that is.

Hey there everyone, thanks a bunch for your input. I am glad I decided to join this forum, as everyone will agree there is tons of info on here. So yesterday night after the replies I received, I went searching for the rules or guidelines of the forum (shame on me for not doing that first), and can see why some of you were bothered with my post. It makes sense. How are you guys going try to help me or give me a response if you cannot understand what I am asking, so my bad there. Anyways, as a little update on my situation after some research, I gave the owner of the Z a call. So pretty much he knows it is for sure a 260z. He also added that it was the first year that had fuel injection. So for the time being, before I can actually go and take a look at it in person, I asked if he can send me some pictures and find out exactly what year it is. First thing I will do is look up the thread for common areas of rust. I'll see if the guy will let me take some pictures and see if I can post them, and maybe you guys can tell me if the rust issues are something that I can repair my self... Little side note, if I do purchase the vehicle I am planing on looking for someone or someplace that will teach me how to weld because I have no experience in that. I have always wanted to learn though, so this project would be my opportunity. Once again thanks to all, and sorry if I seemed a bit lazy and not thoroughly research. This is something I always wanted to do, so you cant blame me for being exited. Maybe I'll never put a Vq into it but I at the least want to take the first step to start this and give it my all!

• Like 1

. So pretty much he knows it is for sure a 260z. He also added that it was the first year that had fuel injection.

I don't think the owner knows anything about Z's either because the 260z never had fuel injection, Fuel injection was from 1975 and up and the 260z was only produced in america in 1974. Either you have a 1977 280z with fuel injection or you have a 1974 260z with carbs or possibly a motor swap.

Its seems like you are starting to get on track. If it helps, wikipedia isn't the best resource but it does have quite a bit of useful information on the S30's. I would look up Nissan S30 on wikipedia. It will really help you with the basics. You don't have to do any searching, most of it is right there. After you have the basics, I would call the guy and explain the situation. I would not pay asking price on a car, ever, unless it is really super nice and the guy seriously is firm (I jew down). Find every reason for the price to be lower. Seriously though, after you know the basics and get used to how this site runs you will learn so much its not even funny. Not only for a z but for regular cars.

As for welding, I would recommend a class at a community college, they can be great, cheaper opportunities. Welding is an art form, its takes much time, effort, and practice, to become good at it. If you don't use it, you will lose it applies to the art of welding. I know from experience. ;)

Welcome to Z's, and welcome to Hybridz.

• There's a wonderfully concise overview of the S30 series (240z, 260z, and 280z's) at wikipedia, here.

• Consider purchasing a couple of books put out by a fellow Californian, Mike Knell, of "Jags That Run". In particular consider the "Datsun 240z Conversion" manual, and the "Chevrolet TPI & TBI Engine Swap" book. Though they're about Chevy conversions, they thoroughly analyze all of those "little things" that you don't usually think about when contemplating a swap. They're surely the cheapest part of the swap, well worth the money regardless of what kind of madness you're preparing to embrace.

• Virtually every junior college in California has one or more "how to weld" classes, many in the evening, and they're cheap, too. Some free.

• Because Pharaohabq is right about these cars being old, consider buying "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car", here. Much of your project will be restoration, trust me on this.

• Just start reading Hybridz. Really, just browse and browse and browse. It sounds dry, but actually it's exciting - some of the people here have *ridiculously* cool ideas, many huge money savers, some brilliant, and a lot of them just plain cool. Take extensive notes (pencil and paper, notebook, the whole thing), start calculating costs (know it'll cost more), start estimating time (know it'll take longer), get an idea where you want to go with the swap. When I first started my swap, I probably spent a month reading every night, started at the first post ever made at Hybridz and read every single thread. Every one. Why? I needed to know the ins and outs, the kinds of things that were easy, and the kinds of things that caused problems. I followed threads that ended in sorrow, and threads that ended in joy, and eventually learned how to recognize the difference between "promising approach" and "spiraling down". Thus I avoided the latter, as have many others.

• On a related note to the above, don't believe anything you read any place else on the 'web. There's more BS out there than at a petunia farm. Just sayin'.

• Also, don't worry if some of these guys try to bust your balls. They enjoy ball-busting, which is why they have really stiff suspensions in their cars. Seriously. Very stiff springs.

Good luck. If you start down this road, you might find it one of the most fulfilling and satisfying things you've ever done.