HybridZ

78 280z half shafts

My mechanic says that the clunking noise in the rear of the car is coming from the rear u joints on the axels. Told me to buy new stub axles with u-joints complete. Is he just being lazy (does not want to replace a cheap u-joint ) or is better and easier to get the whole axels? Also where do I get them for a good price, can I buy used or is this a new only part?

Thanks for any advice. Jerry

My mechanic says that the clunking noise in the rear of the car is coming from the rear u joints on the axels. Told me to buy new stub axles with u-joints complete. Is he just being lazy (does not want to replace a cheap u-joint ) or is better and easier to get the whole axels? Also where do I get them for a good price, can I buy used or is this a new only part?

Thanks for any advice. Jerry

He might confusing the drive shaft u-joins which are not replaceable (without some custom work being done) with the half-shaft u-joints which are. Or he might not know that the retaining clip is on the inside of the yoke, not the outside like most domestic cars. Check out Post #3 and #6 here. Zs have Type 2 (Post #6) half-shaft u-joints.

If you can get up to the Portland area, this guy has a used set of half-shafts that you could bolt right in - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2008316276.html

Or you can get new u-joints at most auto parts stores and either do them yourself or have them installed.

One of mine was actually making clunks because the U-joint was destroyed to little bits. I had a spare set to take to a truck/semi place that does U-joints/driveshafts, and they had it ready the same day. It was not expensive, compared to buying one new shaft. Installing the new ones in was not hard either.

Hey, I just re-read your first post and realized that you said that your mechanic said "buy new stub axles with u-joints". Mentally, I replaced "stub axle" with "half-shaft."

You either heard him wrong or he's not too familiar with the cars. You might have him look again or have someone else take a look. The half-shafts just unbolt, remove four nuts at each end, and can be removed complete for easy u-joint replacement.

Edited by NewZed