HybridZ

seattlejester's 1971 240Z

Devil_S30, yup a a short tail. I actually may have to take you up on that if you are selling one, just did a thorough search and it's not popping up anywhere.

I was pretty set on an MSA or custom unit, so I think I may have misplaced it. Didn't think to at least save the plug. I actually just shot off an e-mail to a local z parts guy to see if he has one.

s30zgt, thank ye. If you are referring to the dash wiring harness, it should come out with the dash. The body harness and the engine bay harness should unclip from the dash making it pretty easy to remove. Easiest way to check the harness would be to plug the wiring harness in and see if anything works, next would be to use a multimeter and check every wire (probably my next step).

Yea, wiring is my least favorite job. Sure I've spliced a wire, made extra connections, added relays and all that, but never tackled an entire harness before. I mean with all the things I've eliminated, the wiring is pretty simple (heater, radio, antenna, rear turn signal, speakers, door ajar switch, door buzzer, hatch glass warmer, interior light all gone), but it's still a chore none the less. But knowing it's one of my last snags left is pushing me through :D.

Edited by seattlejester

Yeah I looked at the diagram, started labeling and then got frustrated figuring out if the wire i was looking at was the blue with a red stripe or red with a blue stripe, etc, etc. Once I finish with the brakes I think I will try to get that dash in.

You are making great progress. I was looking back at when you were replacing all the rusty panels and I couldn't help but to cringe because I'll inevitably have to go through the same process haha. Can't wait to see it when it is complete!

I am jelly of everybody who has a nice, warm garage to work in. I have but a cold, damp driveway :(

Well excuuuuuuuse me for not cleaning up my garage before I took a picture :P.

In my defense, I just did a full service on a friends car, so I had to dig through all my stuff to level out his lowered car to drain the tranny fluid, hence the wood and rotors lying on the floor, the air hoses for his brakes, and the jack precariously balanced on top of everything. He treated me to dinner right after we finished so I didn't have a chance to clean up...

Nope hitting some walls, when I bought your fuse box I had 24$ to my name left, haha.

Just ordered the voltage regulator delete along with fender mirror so waiting on those.

Picked up a battery and the honda wiper motor at the junk yard, no Z's unfortunately (highly recommend grabbing one from a late 90's civic instead of accord, it has the same cut bolt as the Z, so no need to shave the threads)

b87f46fb.jpg

Need engine and locks, then we'll see where we're at.

Unfortunately won't happen till probably 2 or three weeks at the earliest.

Apparently I just ordered a fender mirror (single) ... MSA is starting to get pushed on my bad list.

It's the bullet style chrome fender mirror. They retail for 20$ a piece at NOSlocator (I think is the name), so when I saw 40$ on MSA, I had thought that it was the price for a set. Turns out they just sell it for double...I'll save my main rant till I receive the one from NOS to see if there is any difference that makes it worth the extra money, but to all intents and purposes they look the same.

Finished resealing my blinkers and cleaning them out a bit, one had grass growing inside of it! Figured out most of the wiring and modified the interior pieces that I'm going to try and keep. Bought a used battery to test out my wiring harness, then the driver side seat and belts go in followed by the door.

And to all in the area, once my car is out of the garage, I'd love to open up the space to people who want to get out of the weather to do quick 1-day jobs, granted it will be summer so hopefully working in your own driveway won't be so miserable :D.

And I'm on the hunt for an orange fender blinker. For some reason I have 1 orange and 1 red O.o.

Edited by seattlejester

Ah, thats what I meant, the word was escaping me.

Now onto my night...

Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.

Started out well, checked out my wiring, grounded everything (or so I thought), and shined up my housings and such, made sure they worked by wiring them directly to the battery to test the bulbs.

4ab9fd52.jpg

So I wired up just the alternator and starter then cranked the motor. The started motor cranked, the rear turn signal worked, and the driver signal worked (the signals only worked when the flasher was activated, but did not work when triggered from the steering column. But no headlights, no dash lights, no passenger turn signal. Looked around and found this little one not grounded to anything.

f5dc8e73.jpg

Tapped it to the body and sparks started shooting everywhere from where it was touching. So I unhooked the battery, then proceeded to ground it first before attaching power.

Made sure all the grounds I was thinking of was covered.

One from the negative terminal of the battery cable grounded to fender.

aa74d0c2.jpg

This one from the engine bay wiring loom grounded to a hole in the chassis.

ab752a8b.jpg

And this one in the rear grounded to the trunk.

e74d002d.jpg

Not shown is the ground on the left side of the driver seat.

Connected the power and was greeted with a large puff of smoke as the wire from the starter that feeds the rest of the wiring harness turns red hot and melts. Thinking it was due to an old corroded wire, I retry with two fresh 16 gauge wires wrapped together (make one large thick wire) with all the nuts and such bolted down. And I was greeted with an even larger plume of smoke.

Aftermath can be seen in this picture:

ab752a8b.jpg

The wire that goes to the wiring loom is completely melted only the metal remains in some parts as the plastic all melted off.

Took off the battery cable, and removed the white ground wire in the cabin like it was the first time, and the blinkers work, and the starter cranks.

Now what's going on? From what I understand of the wiring harness, white is for power? What am I doing wrong? I'm bloody confused...

For full disclosure:

Radio is not wired up

No antenna

No interior dome light

No door ajar switches

No door ajar buzzer

No rear side markers

No blower motor

No heater core

Motor is not in the engine bay, just the starter and alternator are wired up to test the harness

From what I understand, the wire from the starter is getting bloody hot, indicating that there is a feed back somewhere in that section when the white wire is grounded. When the white wire is not, there's no feedback? I really am lost for the moment and kind of freaking out.