HybridZ

mirror removal/ installation

Hi everybody.

I'm fairly new to the site and I just bought a 280z a couple weeks ago. It only came with the drivers mirror, so I just bought a pair, and I'm going to install them soon. Can someone please tell me how to remove the driver side mirror? I looked in the manual and there's no detailed info on it. I see what looks like a plastic cover behind a piece where the actual mirror is located. I am guessing that the screw is located here, but I dont know how to remove it. I've been prying at it with a screwdriver, but I don't want to break anything. Do I have to remove the interior trim to get to it? I apologize if this has been covered before, and for my ignorance. I'm still learning!

Thanks in advance :D

stock mirrors have 2 screws that hold it to the body. that's all that holds it on. on the inside of the door is a metal plate that has the threads for the screws. once you get those 2 screws out you'll probably hear a loud clang when it falls into the inside of the door lol. it's a little bit of a pain to get back in but you can do it with just taking off the door panel and fishing it back into its spot (i can't remember if it had a perch it sat on though)

I don't recall there being any plastic cover. Just a metal base with 2 screws on it.

Edited by m4xwellmurd3r

Thank you m4x, but I dont see any screws or anything when I look at the mirror. i know from my new mirrors that there should be screws, but there are none on my current mirror. it looks similar to a california style mirror. btw come to think of it, did those come stock on CA models? I live in California. And are you saying that it would be a good idea to remove the door panel first when I get started on it?

Thank you m4x, but I dont see any screws or anything when I look at the mirror. i know from my new mirrors that there should be screws, but there are none on my current mirror. i see plastic where the screw should be. it looks similar to a california style mirror. btw come to think of it, did those come stock on CA models? I live in California. And are you saying that it would be a good idea to remove the door panel first when I get started on it?

Pictures. Pictures would be extremely helpful. If I remember correctly then there is a screw at the very front of the mirror that clamps it in place (kinda on the like side edge of the mirror base). Then there is a metal plate underneath that with 2 screws that the mirror is attached to. Lots are different, old car, something could be modified, you never know. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Many aftermarket side mirrors require access to the guts of the door for assembly/disassembly....yours would appear to fall into this group. 

After removing all the hardware on the inside of your door (door lock knob, door-pull handles, window crank, etc), the entire interior door panel should pop off the metal door frame....be careful popping the little plastic pop rivets as they can be reused many times if treated carefully.  Once that panel is off, you should have clear and unobstructed view of, and access to, your mirror mounting points. 

Hope this helps -- good luck with it.