HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

Sunny Z

The LS1 looks great in there! I guess I'm a little confused...what happened to the 5.3 and why did you go to the 5.7 LS1? Did you find a CLSD yet?

Happy 4th

Danno74Z

The big forest fire just north of where I live is contained. Man is it dry and hot out here in CO this summer. As I write this it is 98 and about 5% humidity. One blows hot air in the hills and a fire starts.

There was nothing wrong with the 5.3, I just wanted a little more power. Also, I'm going to be moving in about 10 days, and I wanted to make sure and get it done while I had a place to do it. I'll be living out of a hotel in IA for a couple weeks before I can move into my apartment.

Still no luck on the CLSD.... though i have a full set of clutches for one.. :rolleyes:

That is crazy hot for CO. Its been 100+ here everyday, with 50-80% humidity. Sure makes for some good lake weather though!

On the relays in parallel, did you use two relays per speed, or only use the high speed with two relays? Thanks

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used one for low and 2 for hi.

Right on. Re-wired my stuff yet again, so that should work.

Dropped the car off at the tuner's house today. He's going to work on it when he has time, and drive it back to me on sunday! Yi Yi!

Very excited!

I did some research and between 1984 and 1987 a total of 46,895 300Z turbo models were made - THAT IS IT! After almost 30 years probably and this is a total SWAG 50% have been crushed or totally destroyed. Now we have about 23,000 left in the world some still running some in wrecking yards. Good luck finding one less expensive. I'm not saying you won't find one less expensive but don't hold your breath. My recommendation is to take a working R200 and convert it over to a LSD.

Danno74Z

Edited by Danno74Z

Hang in there and keep creepin' on Parts for Sale, ebay and craigs list. A decent deal will show up when you least expect it. In the meantime, just limit the moments when you have traction and your welded diff will hold up fine! Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Here is another LSD on Ebay. Seems everybody knows how valuable these units are so finding one on Ebay for less then $600 will take forever. But good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-300zx-Z31-R200-clutch-type-limited-slip-differential-/320946127566?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab9e142ce&vxp=mtr

Danno74Z

I just bought one with 80k on it, in just about perfect shape for $630 shipped from another forum.

If you're going to pay 1k for a diff, consider an aftermarket unit, but then you have to install it or have it installed.

Edited by letitsnow

• 3 weeks later...

Well as some of you know, I twisted one of the M2 axles, and am moving on to bigger and better things.

So I just spent an hour on the phone with the Driveshaft Shop.

AWESOME people over there. Really know their stuff.

We found a solution that should be pretty darn strong, and support around 700 wheel, while still using the Z31 turbo CV joints (some inner parts different), and R200

I'll keep this updated as things progress.

Hey SunnyZ!

1320Video posted a pic of your car today on FaceBook. Did you see it yet?

Haha yeah, I was standing next to him when he took it. I love this color, the car got rained on last night and I didn't have a chance to wash it, and you can't really even tell!

Good to see someone recognizing it!

Hello kind Sir,

I have a couple of questions. I understand you are using a 5.3 gen 3 motor for the build and you have an ls1 intake on the 5.3

Did you have any trouble fitting the intake between the heads? did you have to make any modifications to the intake for it to fit? are you using the stock heads?

aside from switching the water pump, accessory brackets, oil pan and intake was there anything else that had to be removed or modified on the 5.3?

what about the fuel system?? where you able to keep the injectors from the 5.3 to use with the ls intake??

is it cost effective to use a 5.3 for the build? I understand that you cannot drop a bone stock 5.3 because of intake clearance issues and because the accessory drive does not fit into the engine bay. by making the adjustments to the 5.3 will it still be cheaper to use 5.3 than to pay 2-3 k for an ls1??

Im deciding what to use, 5.3, 6.0 or ls 5.7.

Your response would be greatly appreciated. And good luck on your build :)

So I spent the last couple days focusing on the interior. Mostly just making all the lights work, wiring a radio, and just plain putting stuff together.

I am proud to say that the car is as complete as its been since I've owned it. When I bought it, all the interior was in boxes. I hate putting things together that I didn't take apart...... <_<

I'll try to get a picture when its light out tomorrow.