HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

Can u share your experience between the 5.3 and ls1.

-thanks!

Well what would you like to know?

The 5.3 was quick. I'd guess low-mid 12's. Tons of fun, and got good mileage(30) if you could keep your foot out of it. Best part is with my 275's, it hooked on the street.

The LS1 is a completely different animal, and if you've followed along, you'd know it is FAR from stock. It has an absurd amount of torque, and will blow the tires off effortlessly in first, and for about the first half of second. Its still decent on gas. Mixed driving i get about 20, but once you open it up, HOLD ON.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to plan way way ahead and deciding from either 5.3 or ls1. Price wise with the 5.3 and all of its conversions you did. Do you think it was worth it? Or do you think just going ls1 in the beginning would have been more convenient?

I'm trying to plan way way ahead and deciding from either 5.3 or ls1. Price wise with the 5.3 and all of its conversions you did. Do you think it was worth it? Or do you think just going ls1 in the beginning would have been more convenient?

you do know they're exactly the same right? Basically you just run f-body accessories. Comes down to if you want to / can source the accessories, and future plans.

• 2 weeks later...

Well for those of you that have seen my posts in the drivetrain section, you'd know I had some issues recently regarding axles.

I just wanted to touch base here and say that I about ditched the B itch tonight. The right side axle (that had previously twisted) let loose. Surprisingly, no damage was sustained. Didn't even tear the CV boot. I'll post back later with carnage ;)

Sunny Z

Hello, About a month ago you mentioned you went to the Driveshaft Shop for a bullet proof rear end setup. Whatever happened to that project? Also, the axles you just broke/bent are these the beefier axles sold here on HybridZ? I thought those were bigger, stronger and made of hardened chrome moly.

Danno74Z

I just sent my axles back to be re-heat treated. He's gonna keep mine shorter because I've shortened my LCAs. In fact, this winter I'm custom ordering even 1/2" shorter. We'll see how mine hold up-gonna start dropping clutch and feathering more to keep clutch happy maybe at the expense of axles.

Sunny Z

Hello, About a month ago you mentioned you went to the Driveshaft Shop for a bullet proof rear end setup. Whatever happened to that project? Also, the axles you just broke/bent are these the beefier axles sold here on HybridZ? I thought those were bigger, stronger and made of hardened chrome moly.

Danno74Z

Those are the replacement axles that I had built, and will be here next week. You can PM me for the specifics if you'd like.

Yes, this was one of the "beefier" axles sold here. HOWEVER, please read in the drivetrain section about this batch not getting properly heat treated. M2 made it good with me, and I'm sure the new axles will have zero issues.

Hi Sunny Z

Thanks for the information and the update on the axles. WOW that is something else. I'm glad you did not get injured or the car. I have never snapped an axle but on the Z I guess the wheel can come off the car depending on where the break is. Is that correct? It is amazing how the splines just twisted like soft taffy but did not break.

Danno74Z

you do know they're exactly the same right? Basically you just run f-body accessories. Comes down to if you want to / can source the accessories, and future plans.

Josey, the 5.3L is an iron block while the LS1 is an aluminum block, right? Looks like the weight penalty for the 5.3L is about 85-100 lbs or so. (This isn't the end of the world IMO.)

It looks like there were a couple of variations of the 5.3L that were aluminum, but those seem to be on the rare side.

Hi Sunny Z

Thanks for the information and the update on the axles. WOW that is something else. I'm glad you did not get injured or the car. I have never snapped an axle but on the Z I guess the wheel can come off the car depending on where the break is. Is that correct? It is amazing how the splines just twisted like soft taffy but did not break.

Danno74Z

These are the half shafts, not the stub axles.

How'd you get home? Let me guess, a hot blond pulled up with a flat bed trailer and said: "Park it in the back, Honey." Thats what always happens to me.

Actually, I usually call my wife and beg her to pick me up, something like: "Honey, the Zs broken and I'm stranded-AGAIN!" To which she replies, "You're such an ass!"