HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please let me be the first to say: "Freakin' awesome!" We are at about the same ride height, which means your axles are at a bit of an angle, as are mine. I actually fit that much tire inside stock, unrolled fenders. I'm not raising my ride height until I break my first CV. I did install some bump stops to limit extreme squat, per jnjdragracing's instructions. How long 'till you can show us some ETs?

Have you got two axles on it? I'm eager to hear how the high-speed driveability isi with the bias plies. I have same tire, and it really wants to wander around at the fast end of the track. I'm curious to see if I need to tweek my spring rates or something, or if this is just the nature of the BEAST.

Have you got two axles on it? I'm eager to hear how the high-speed driveability isi with the bias plies. I have same tire, and it really wants to wander around at the fast end of the track. I'm curious to see if I need to tweek my spring rates or something, or if this is just the nature of the BEAST.

Nope just one at this point. UPS lady woke me up about 15 minutes ago to sign for the new axles though, so I will probably get them in soon. I imagine it will wander a bit, as these are quite a soft sidewall. You haven't even had it through the quarter yet have you? I imagine the big end will be a ride :P !

Nice! I love the "I'd rather be camping" license plate cover on your sports car.

I was wondering who would be the first to catch that ;)

Sunny Z

Do you have an update on your new axles from the Driveshaft Shop? Can you share some facts and specs on them?

Thanks,

Dan

Yep, they're in and working great. I took it to the track on friday, and made 16 1/8 mile passes. No issues whatsoever.

2012-09-12_17-20-40_572.jpg

They started life as Z31 300ZX Turbo half shafts.

I Had them do:

-new 300M bars(stronger than 4140)- 36 spline - to my length specs

-new 4140 chrome moly 36 spline cages

-new ball bearings

-new boots

-cleaning

-powdercoating

-assembly

My lengths measured out to be 15" for the bars on both sides.

Internals are (now) what they call a "166" series cv joint

Edited by SUNNY Z

Wow that is fantastic! Good for you. If you break those you might consider a Ford 9" or a Dana truck rear end :blink: So both axles turned out to be 15" and you don't have any binding on the drivers side?

I thought the axles had to be 14 3/16" for the driver side and 14 13/16 for the passenger side?

Danno74Z

Well this has been covered greatly in the drivetrain section, under the M2 shaft thread that I started, but.....

Yes, 15" is the correct length for MY car. To get that measurement, used the axles that I had (one stock and one M2), and added "x" to that known measurement to get the tolerances right. As-is, I have about 1/4" of space at full compression to get them in. My axles are longest when the rear is unloaded, so thats where I measured.

Best pass from friday:

Track was OK, not good not terrible. With good prep, I don't see 1.5x 60' being a problem.

2012-09-16_20-38-40_357.jpg

I don't personally have the video, but my friend at 1320 came, and video'd about 12 ish passes, so I'm sure that will be good once he gets to it.

Until then, you can watch us race in mexico in the other video thread that I started.

Best pass from friday:

Track was OK, not good not terrible. With good prep, I don't see 1.5x 60' being a problem.

2012-09-16_20-38-40_357.jpg

I don't personally have the video, but my friend at 1320 came, and video'd about 12 ish passes, so I'm sure that will be good once he gets to it.

Until then, you can watch us race in mexico in the other video thread that I started.

Oh? Are Mexico runs allowed here?

Nice times! You are where I want to be with the 60' and 1/8 ET. So far I'm around 1.9 and 7.5, but now with the new stub axles I'm hoping to get there on my next trip out!

• 2 weeks later...

Got any video of the 2-step in action? Where did you mount the box?

Its in the other thread in this forum. Its right to the inboard of the brake booster on the fire wall. I just used some emblem tape that I had.

Edited by SUNNY Z

• 2 weeks later...