HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

^ Keith, they only do that on Sunday(The points/bracket day for the more serious guys). We are going to be racing Saturday night(5-11 test and tune). I've never been on Sunday cause its not TnT, but if I did, I would definitely pray for my poor axles(I usually do a bit of praying for those on Saturday too)!

On another note, I just looked at page 15 where you(SunnyZ) posted your trap time from your last drag strip trip. I think Keith is cheating(Or his car is seriously light). He traps 126.x with a "stock" LS2, and you trap less than that with a cam(Heads too? Can't remember) LS1. i think he's holding out on us!

-Will

Edited by wfritts911

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another note, I just looked at page 15 where you(SunnyZ) posted your trap time from your last drag strip trip. I think Keith is cheating(Or his car is seriously light). He traps 126.x with a "stock" LS2, and you trap less than that with a cam(Heads too? Can't remember) LS1. i think he's holding out on us!

-Will

Haha yep. I think he's been sand bagging me. I'll try to get some light front runners this year, and then we can have a better apples to apples comparison.

Cheating? Apples to apples?  If you spray, how am I gonna deal with that?  I just read the timeslips, fellas.  My last trip to the strip, last summer, was for the 1/4, so that best 1/8-mile time was from the mid-track timing lights.  And that was with a spare tire on board.  I've never been that fast on the true 1/8th (hopefully due to my bad diff ratio).  My best at an 1/8-mile track has been 7.29, I think.  The real 60' and ET improvements came with the clutch controlled 2-step - I just go thru the motions and keep it pointed straight.  I had no exhaust system then either, so I won't be surprised if I slow down some from that extra weight.  I sure thought the track lady at Centerville said Saturday they were gonna have some money races for stick shift street cars on Saturday night.  But, she said "no delay boxes," so I don't know if she's including 2-steps in that.  If I don't get to use my 2-step, I may be a trainwreck.  Sorry, I think I'm thread jacking, so I'll get back to work. Really looking forward to Saturday-still wating on headers.  Oil change tonight (the second one since I did the motor swap).

I'm gonna have to work a lot this summer to keep up with you guys. I see a cam/E85/and a dry shot in my future lol. Im waiting to see what kind of sixty foot SunnyZ can pull without having to worry about breaking axles. I bet it will go low 1.4s at a decent track(Not sure what you were pulling before you started all this work).

Keith, I'm pretty sure the two-step is fair game. The delay boxes as I know them are for autos with transbrakes, that let you react off the first light then it counts down to cut a better light. Not sure how it would work with a clutch car unless it was like a line-lock on the clutch.

Hurry up and finish that axle swap SunnyZ, I need motivation to get mine going.

-Will

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Its been crazy here lately. 55+hr weeks, travelling to see the gf on the weekends, and buying a house.

The shims for the trans should be here tomorrow or the next day, same with the gears for the rear, and install kit. I'd expect the driveshaft and axles by the end of the week, then its just how much i need to sleep to not be a zombie!  

The car went a best of 1.55 60'. No 2 step, just 2 feet.  I'm not sure exactly how well it will do, as I changed the spring rates in the rear. Worst case, they're $100/pr and i have to change back to something stiffer. We'll soon know. 

You sure are lucky you got 2 good feet, as much as you been a-walkin'!  ....and why you foolin' around gettin' a girlfriend??  Ain't nobody got time for that!  And a house?  I can hear it now:  "guys, I didn't get my axles done, cause I had so many honey-dos..."  Heck, I just Round-up-ed my whole yard so I won't have to waste good wrench time mowing until July-that is committment to the sport.  Givin' me crap about my 2-step!  Next thing I know you're gonna make another trailer crack!  I had a blind guy come in today wanting surgery, and I told him he had to wait 2 weeks since I had an alignment appointment scheduled for this Thursday after my scheduled surgeries.  What is wrong with people!  I just couldn't make him understand that I had to keep my priorities straight! (then I broke down and added him to the schedule-hope it goes smoothly and I can get my car aligned before heading out on Friday).  Talkin' trash...keep up the good work!

I don't know about the Camaro gearbox, but with the GTO gearbox, 2nd is too short.  It would be nice if I could shift with some sense of rhythm, but 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all have their own tempos at WOT-and 2nd is in-then-out (no dirty feedback). My PM to you about the 3.54 referenced my experience with the GTO box.

WOW. Learned a LOT about t56's this weekend. As most things go, I didn't get it right until i got it wrong about 4 times.  Patience, attention to detail, and a good manual will be your friends!!!

Trans is back together, ready to install. Diff is the same. Probably get the diff in tonight yet. I've been tying up a lot of loose ends, and hopefully eliminating a lot of leaks, squeaks and rattles.

Brakes are bled, and fresh fluid all around. Really all thats left is to put the finishing touches on my catch can system, install the trans, DS, axles, diff, and put fluids in it. Haha, sounds so easy!

What's the thread size and pitch on those studs?  How much longer are they?  I'll be going to longer studs later this year....did you just pull them into place with a nut or did you press them in?  I'll be doing the CF studs that come with the 39-spliners and I'd like the front and back to be the same so I don't have to have a separate set of lug nuts....  Keep up the pace-I'm anticipating your successful posts from the strip this year!

Keith,

I have 2 brand new sets of these studs that I can't use. They are too long for the wheels and lug nuts that I'm using. They are the same as the CF studs that come on the 39 spline axles. You can have them at no charge, just PM me your address and I will ship them to you.

I was able to get the car completely back together tonight, and put 28 trouble free miles on it! 

I am ecstatic that the vibration in the transmission is GONE. The diff seems to be functioning properly, and no abnormal noises, etc. 

I haven't really put much power to it yet, as I was breaking in the gears.  Later this week I'l have more to report on that.

I actually had a dream last night that I found a T56 in a field that was caked with mud and had grass growing thru it.  Hope this isn't some sort of foreboding sign that I have a rebuild in my future.....   Then had a dream that I was a substitute teacher at my daughter's school and the kids abused me mercilessly.  I gotta get some good quality sleep....

I had a dream that I almost smacked a deer while driving last night! Wait that was real!

Right in the middle of town close to my house, I had one run in front of me. I am going home and installing my Dapper HID's tonight! My headlights are comical at best.