HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you are looking at alternative fuel tanks. Below is a link to my tank.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/105275-fuel-tank-conversion-ls1/

Danno74Z

Well i'm not really looking. I have one thats been ordered.... thanks though

update

Spent a LONG ass time on the engine harness and body harness yesterday. To the tune of 7-8 hours. Found out that the moron who built the harness removed the high speed fan pin, so I'm currently looking for a pin to put in the PCM connector... :eyes:

Other than that, I got the plate for the relays done, and the relay section of the harness, and the gauge portion of the harness shortened. I added weatherpack connectors to connect the engine harness to my dash gauges. Also, the trigger wire for the harness relay, and the trigger wire for the starter. Basically made the harness so i can pull it in about 5 minutes, only unbolting it from the starter. :D

The remainder of the fuel system should be here tomorrow, then its off to the fab shop!

slow progress....

You can run your fan (or fans) off of the low-speed wire only, if you want to. I have 2 fans, so for fun, I hooked up the low-speed wire to one fan and the high-speed wire to the other fan. So far, only the low-speed fan has come on, so it is like I have only a low-speed fan anyway. Lots of guys have used only the low-speed wire for one fan (like a Taurus fan) or both fans (F-body or aftermarket), so your harness builder may have been trying to think for you....saves you a relay...

I LOVE my weatherpack connectors. I did crimp (and solder) the wires to the pins before inserting them. I'm taking a week off from my car. Suffering from a little burn-out.

Thanks for the info, but the wire is ran, and the harness is wrapped up. Basically everything is its own entity now. Also worked on mounting the PCM.

Here's the PCM bracket that I built. I did some eyeball measuring, and I THINK that it will be free from interference with the glove box. If it does interfere, it is only a quick cut and weld away from fitting.

IMG_20120227_013134.jpg

This is what its replacing - as most of the factory wiring is gone now.

IMG_20120227_013211.jpg

Mounted

IMG_20120227_012637.jpg

With PCM

IMG_20120227_012608.jpg

Another fun filled day of wiring :rolleyes:

Whew it got late!

Edited by SUNNY Z

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy busy busy, and most of its not with the car!

Here's what I DID get done though.

Dash Mounted

SDC10071.jpg

I had to either rebuild or notch my tranny crossmember to clear my exhaust comfortably, so i notched it.

SDC10073.jpg

And of course filled it.

SDC10072.jpg

Started on the exhaust - its gonna tuck up REAL nice

SDC10075.jpg

Ran out of straight tubing - going to the muffler shop now

Wow-looks great. How many hours did you have to invest in the dash, specifically in installing the new gauges? Looking really good.

Gauges were the easy part lol

I probably have mmmmmm at the most, 6 hours in the gauges. I used the old gauge cups, dremel'd them out as i read on here, yada yada.

OH i almost forgot!

I'm almost done with THESE

SDC10070.jpg

UPDATE

Finished up school .... until after spring break.

So i rewarded myself with an afternoon at the shop.

Got my harness finished!!!!!!! and installed. Its come a long way....

From this:

SDC17361.jpg

To this:

SDC10079-1.jpg

I also installed the rear LCA's. Shown here, fresh paint!

SDC10081.jpg

I worked on my cold air intake. Hows it look?

SDC10078.jpg

In all seriousness though, i did get it done.

SDC10089-1.jpg

SDC10088.jpg

Then I went to work on the diff crossmember - clearancing it for my exhuast

SDC10083.jpg

Started laying in strap...

SDC10084.jpg

SDC10086.jpg.

Done

SDC10087-1.jpg

prettyfied

SDC10090-1.jpg

Then I worked on my crossver pipe. I was originally going to do an H, but i decided to try my hand at an X. Here's what i got.

SDC10092.jpg

used two 45* bends, and a chopsaw.

SDC10093.jpg

The tuck is nice.

SDC10091.jpg

I wish my fuel tank would get here, so i could finish the rest of the exhaust!

That's it and that's all.

Dual 3". The other engine I plan on putting in would have been choked by dual 2.5".

Here's the rest of it! I got to the shop about 10:30 and JUST finished welding it. Forgot to take any on-car pics, but the fitment is excellent!

IMG_20120317_150504.jpg

This afternoon Im headed off to south TX for spring break, so I won't be able to do anything for a week.

Well I survived spring break (barely)

And my camera didn't take kindly to the sand (big surprise there)... So i'm uploading the progress from my mobile.

So I installed the exhaust for one final test fit before I painted it, and GUESS who forgot to tighten the front v-bands all the way before welding the whole thing up. THIS GUY.

SO I ended up having to make about half a dozen relief cuts to get my tips where I needed them. Got it tacked again, and here's the pics.

IMG_20120325_192900.jpg

IMG_20120325_193123.jpg

Now its back out, fully welded, and ready to be prepped for paint. Would have liked to have painted it tonight, but the parts store was closed before i thought about it :(

I'm sure it wasn't simple, but it looks so simple and clean - Great job. I wish I had your fab skills. I really like your trans crossmember- I have the 240z JCI cross member, and I while have no side movement of my shifter, but I do have some up and down shake. Trimming the stock shifter boot is working fine. I went on a 2 hour "reliability run" yesterday and had no issues. So far, no tickets from the straigh pipes, but I rarely "open 'er up." It really isn't any louder than a Harley, and I never see one of them pulled over for noise. Thank goodness I'm in Alabama and not some big city. I did high-center the car on the dump tubes once on a driveway, so I gotta re-think my side exhaust. Still want them, so I may c-notch my frame rails and bring the dump thru the lower part of the front fender.

No matter what fuel tank you use, I recommend spending the money for a shut-off type fuel filter before your pump, so you can clean it out with a full tank of gas. Plan for some flex in the lines so you can service it. I put the filter in, but did not use the shut off type (so expensive) but now wish I had - gotta find a little AN6 plug that I can put in the line quickly. Little bits of welding flash and other trash gets in there - I've been SO careful to keep my tank and fuel clean, but I'm going to be cleaning that filter regularly for a while. Before I installed my tank, I cleaned it with soapy water, solvent, gasoline, blew it out with air and reached in and rubbed around with a tack rag, and I'm still getting trash in the screen! I also mounted my Corvette FPR in a bad spot where I can't reach it with the tank installed, so do a little more backward planning than I did. I think the screen is catching enough to protect my FPR (I hope). So far, that is the only thing I would do any differently.

Josey, took the guy who will weld/fab my exhaust center section a picture of your tranny crossmember and told him I wanted something like that and run the exhaust the same-said no problem. Had my John's cars tranny crossmember [which I never really liked] blasted to remove the powdercoating which he may or may not use when the mods or new one is made. He'll do that same time as the exhaust.

Pipse & bend should be here this week [sticking with the 304 ss] as well as brakes and I pick up the newly mounted tires [same wheels] tomorrow. Once all back together drive it to the shop [with open long tubes!] to get the exhaust and crossmember work done as well as dyno & tune!

New member obviously, I joined simply to follow this thread. I will prolly get around to looking at more. I've heard reports of some of these LS 240's getting 30+ MPG with around 350-400 horse. Do you plan on dyno'n yours when completed? Also, on your ecu tune, are you going to keep the factory truck settings or go for something more performance related?