HybridZ

71 front door hinge rivit \ pin

Hinges usually more than pins. The doors are not overhung with a ton of weight there like US Domestic Make/Models and the wear is not that bad. Since they are universal parts, replacement of the whole hinge is many times easier than a hinge pin in Domestic Models. S130's maybe... but S30s? Even 40 years on, the spring follower is wearing but the hinge is still tight!

any one want to help me re-align my door? it sags when u open it =( lol

Good luck with that. I've got the same problem. I don't really know how I'm going to fix it, just that I'm not going to enjoy it.

Also, please type properly, using capitalization and fully typing out words like "u." It's in the rules.

That doesn't have anything to do with the door alignment, it's a pin to help transfer the spring tension to stop the door swing.

The "pins that hold the pieces together" are what hold up the door. Grab the door frame with the door at a 45 degree angle open and lift/push down hard. You will see where your movement is---many times there isn't any.

My 71 had "sagged" so that the upper rearmost portion of the door window frame is actually hitting the quarter window. It's a hinge alignment loosening issue in that case. Or from sitting on jackstands wrong...

In any case, you can see how much 'sag' you have lifting on it and seeing where the pin is loose. Then replace the hinge. If it simply drops down when you open it, it may be misaligned hinges and nothing more.

My 71 had "sagged" so that the upper rearmost portion of the door window frame is actually hitting the quarter window. It's a hinge alignment loosening issue in that case. Or from sitting on jackstands wrong...

That's what mine does. Did the bottom of your door also stick out? Before I removed it, the driver's door stuck out around 3/8" at the bottom rear of the door. I had to actually pick up the door to close it. Did it with both sets of doors I tried too.

Yeah, I have to physically lift it. The doors were removed a long time ago, (FRP) and when I bolted on the replacements I wasn't too close on alignment. Seems they went worse as time went by. I'm sure I have to realign the hinges. When it gets up on priority list.

Right now, none of that happening.

Yeah, I have to physically lift it. The doors were removed a long time ago, (FRP) and when I bolted on the replacements I wasn't too close on alignment. Seems they went worse as time went by. I'm sure I have to realign the hinges. When it gets up on priority list.

Right now, none of that happening.

Ah, I was hoping you knew what was wrong with mine in all your infinite knowledge, since I haven't a damn clue where to even begin. I'm thinking it's the hinges since both doors did it, that is, both driver and passenger, as well as the spare driver's door that I tried... but it just seemed like too much slop for it to just be the hinges, which were the common factor in my experimenting. Hopefully it's not the unibody that's the problem... but I have no reason to believe that it is.

The hinges where they bolt to the body have up, down, fore, and aft adjustment. They are damned tight from the factory, but someone playing with the doors may solve that tightness, and the alignment goes away with road bumps or in my case simple storage on stands and the chassis sags. Who really knows? I didn't attend to it really closely, I put the doors on and they weren't really close, but I bolted them down as it was 'just for storage'...that ended up being from 1991 to 2009... It's gotten much worse the past ten years. Originally they were only misaligned and overlapping by a decimal. Now it's closer to 1/8" or more. But the door closed and that was all I cared about to keep the mice and crap out!

• 1 year later...

I also had a loud pop when you opened the driver side door. My was caused by the small roller that contacts the arm that holds the door open. I had to have a friend machine one for me as I could only find the correct size in brass. I used that for awhile but it wore a flat spot on it just like the original had done. Hope that helps. John