HybridZ

vg30e lower timing cover removal?

82boxima

so yesterday, my water pump decided to spout a ginormus leak. I got a new water pump, gasket, thermostat, belt, hoses etc etc, and I've started tearing down the front accessories on the motor.....

as for this issue I'm having.... I've searched 4 times here and other places and found nothing specifically about this.

I've come to this problem: I need to know if its possible to remove the lower timing cover WITHOUT removing the crankshaft pulley and or the timing belt itself. I don't have the tool needed to remove and would perfer not going and buying or renting one....

I've got all the bolts off the cover itself and can't seem to shake it free from the pulley. I don't wanna damage the belt or tensioner by doing this... the timing belt is in great shape and I'd perfer to not remove it / replace it at all possible ($$$), as is the tensioner, and front main seal.

another question I have is... IF I DO have to remove this stupid pulley.... HOW would I go about it?

To remove the crank pulley (harmonic damper, first remove the large bolt in the center (early engines are a 22mm or 7/8", and later engines are a 27mm.) then you can use a puller or stick a couple pry bars behind the pulley 180 degrees from each other and "wobble" it off. I did this on my 85T engine the other day, it took about 10 minutes to get off. I always remove the harmonic damper before removing the timing covers.