HybridZ

Looking for other 280zx tail light ideas

zeeboost

As some of you may recall, I had a bodyshop install some z32 tail lights on my s130. I wasn't real pleased with it at first, but figured I'd give it some time to grow on me. Well it's been around 8 months now, and I still don't really care for them. It's not a case of whether I like them or not, but more along the lines of some days they don't bug me as much as other days. And honestly, I think the tail lights would've worked out great had they been installed a little higher, and if the taillights were flat, because they're way too curvy to pull it off on a boxy s130 chassis.

Couple of blurry pics, but they show a distant view of the rear:

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

One closer to show you the odd curvature:

DSC00008.jpg

And this one's a bit more from the side, but really highlights the curvature problem that I have with the setup:

DSC00010.jpg

Originally (as in, before the z32 lights were installed) I was wanting to use some LED strips to mimic this type of setup:

ferraritails.jpg

But I really couldn't find any strips that looked decent (as in, not wide enough, or cheap looking)

So, I'm looking for other ideas. Though I wouldn't mind round tail lights, the only ones I've seen on a 280zx were skyline lights, and I didn't really care for the way it turned out. I was trying to stick with taillights that had more of a streamline look to them to keep it consistant with the lines of the car. So far, the closest alternative I can think of is the early z31 tails with cleared bottom lenses, like these:

z31tails.jpg

But once again, this is something I can *picture* working well, but have no clue how the reality of it will be. Same story with the z32 tails, I liked them when I chopped them on in mspaint, but then after sinking the dough into it and seeing it in reality, complete opposite. I tried to chop these on with paint (yeah, it was a quick, kinda crappy job):

280z31tails.jpg

And yet again, have no clue if the dimensions / sizing is correct, so I don't know how it will look in real life. BUT, I'm fairly certain I don't have to worry about curvatue issues with these, they have the flat 80s look to them.

Anyways, thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Any other ideas? Or does anyone have any pics or even know of the z31 tails being installed on an s130? I already wasted a bunch of money on the Z32s, so I'd like to get it right this time :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to visualize a custom concept is a skill not possessed by everyone. Some people are naturals , many have formal design training and others have many years of expierience in the school of hard knocks. There is a process that needs to be followed to find an appealing design . Most of this is best handled as a series of sketches or photoshops till the desired effect is reached. Attention to the ratios between height and width amongst the entire rear bumper and tail lamp area is critical . Think of the back of the car as a human face. Position of the eyes , lips , brow , shape of the face . There is actually a ratio between these facial characteristics that defines natural beauty . Facial expressions also play a part . Dont mix angry eyes with a smile as an example. Its challenging to get it all together and sometimes you may need to seek outside help if you really want a good design.

I have customized a number of cars over the years and even when I had a good idea of what I or a customer wanted I still retained someone to draw things out before I started the project. Its really inexpensive when you consider all that is involved.

how about something like these

I think they look good on that car, but don't see them coming out as well on the 280zx. The s130 has such a large, bulky and boxy rear that it's a bit difficult trying to find something that matches.

Just use the 82-83 280zx tail lights... Those are the best looking tails on a 280zx in my opinion.

Honest opinion on the z32 tails? They look really good just need to be raised alittle. They sit alittle low

At the time, I thought z32 lights would look killer...and I didn't care for the large bulky plastic looking stock lights. Honestly at this point, I think I would've rather stuck with them. But after spending so much $$$ into modifying the rear, I'd hate to have it all go to waste just to revert back to stock. I'm gonna try to get a direct rear picture today so I can play with my options a little more.

The ability to visualize a custom concept is a skill not possessed by everyone. Some people are naturals , many have formal design training and others have many years of expierience in the school of hard knocks. There is a process that needs to be followed to find an appealing design . Most of this is best handled as a series of sketches or photoshops till the desired effect is reached. Attention to the ratios between height and width amongst the entire rear bumper and tail lamp area is critical . Think of the back of the car as a human face. Position of the eyes , lips , brow , shape of the face . There is actually a ratio between these facial characteristics that defines natural beauty . Facial expressions also play a part . Dont mix angry eyes with a smile as an example. Its challenging to get it all together and sometimes you may need to seek outside help if you really want a good design.

I have customized a number of cars over the years and even when I had a good idea of what I or a customer wanted I still retained someone to draw things out before I started the project. Its really inexpensive when you consider all that is involved.

I completely agree with all of this, and I try to factor as much of this logic in as I can. Again, I honestly think that the z32 lights would have fit the rear of the s130 perfectly, had it not been for the odd curvature I didn't notice in the pictures. It was only after I had bought them and the body shop had already mounted them that my ideal image had been shattered. That's one thing that appeals to me with the z31 lights - the early z31 had a very similar design to the s130 rear, and I like the design of those lights a bit better.

doooooode just go back to stock and add that middle "3rd" brakelight piece and let the sexiness flow....no need for all that custom (read expensive) body mods. But thats just my opinion...and ofcourse i am pretty bias cuz of the ole zx =)

2ywcnf7.jpg

vnkmqp.jpg

Edited by sticky280zx

I've never really been a fan of that center piece. It looks good on that car and a couple others that I've seen, but otherwise...eh. Again, if I could go back I would've just stuck with the stock tail lights, but since I'm already this deep I might as well go down with the ship.

Messing around with paint brush about a year ago, I thought this turned out semi-decent:

280zxcircletaillights.jpg

Finally got a picture of the rear yesterday:

280zxrearsmall.jpg

Here I tried to show the final product by shading the lower gas tank guard (or whatever that grill thing is) and elminating the lines around the tail light housing.

280zxrearsmalledit.jpg

I think the lights look fine in the pictures straight from the rear, but then from the side they still look like poo. Maybe I'll play around with the black paint surrounding the lights. Anyone else feel free to edit the picture.

Also, the tail lights can't be moved any higher. They're in the factory light housings, but due to the way the metal is shaped in the back, they wouldn't be able to just scoot the lights any higher without cutting out the rear panel and completely redoing everything...which I don't think would be worth it.

Edited by zeeboost

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think they suit the rear of the 280zx well. I do like the lights, but you would have to much more custom work of building up the rear to create a smaller tail panel, streamline the tail panel, and then integrate the license plate in the bumper to make those lights look decent on the 280zx, IMO.

I just saw this white car a couple of days ago after watching Gone in 60 Seconds again (the remake) and I can't find any info on it, but I do like the tail light setup it has and can see potential with it working on the 280zx. Anyone know what type of car this is?

whitecar1.jpg

whitecar2.jpg

It really looks like an older lamborghini model, but I looked through them all (I think) and didn't have any luck.

Edited by zeeboost

Thaaank you Dan the man! I sifted through the Alfa Romeos as well but couldn't find it. It looks like the tails will be a PITA to find. After searching eBay I did happen to come across some Alfetta GTV-6 lights, and although these look very similar, I think I would still have curvature issues. The z32 lights have odd horizontal curvature while it looks like these would have odd vertical curvature.

photo005in4.jpg

I'm certainly going to look more into this though.

Yep, I remember seeing that car a while back. I like those better than the aerotech ZX's skyline lights (R32 I think), but either way I don't think they really suit the rear end. They look decent on the car...but it seems like a more 80-ish design would fall in line better. I know in the back of my head I always wanted to see how DeLorean tail lights would look back there, but it doesn't seem to match the design of the rear.

5684910020_large.jpg

So far I'm really liking the Alfa Romeo tails...it has the Z design while adding a unique touch.