HybridZ

L28et turbo recommendations

chris51608

hi everyone,

to make a long story short my girlfriend bought me a turbo since she knew i wanted one.The description saids "its a Dual ball bearing Garrett T3/T4E, T04E 57 trim compressor with 2.75" inlet and 2" outlet. Stage III turbine wheel with T31 4 bolt. Uses ATP-OIL-021 oil inlet fitting. T3/4 drain flange. Coolant in/out required (14mm threads - same as GT series ball bearing). Great 475HP turbo"...now my question is this turbo good for my L28et setup or it just too weak....running mega squirt and 440cc injectors...thanks

Not a good turbine for a stock cam.

turbo will hit full boost around 3500rpm and the cam quits making power a 5000rpm. Makes a short power band. A stock cam works best with a stock turbine

50 trim would be better than a 57.

You will need a 1/2" spacer between the turbo and the manifold, which means longer studs.

Nice girl friend. Does she have a sister?

so can this turbo work with my setup or should i sell this turbo and get another turbo...what would you guys recommend?

You should keep that turbo, and do a build around it. Get a better cam and do what is needed to make the turbo fit. This will accomplish MANY things.

1. You will get good power from the turbo if you build the engine to handle it.

2. You will make it a point to KEEP the turbo your girl friend gave you.

3. This will give you MEGA brownie points with this GF if you keep this particular turbo.

Basically, what it boils down to is... KEEP THIS WOMAN HAPPY! Oh, the turbo is nice too, so work with it. It won't matter what turbo you get if you are dramatically increasing power levels, as they will ALL have custom work involved. Your 440cc injectors will not get you above 450whp (unless you are jacking with fuel pressure), so that turbo is a good match for what you currently have (fuel system wise). I don't know what the rest of your build consists of though.

Also, if the cam stops making power at 5,000 RPM, that does not mean you shift at 5,000rpm. You can take the engine to 6,000, the turbo will start making boost around 2800-3000 and that will give you a 3000rpm power band on a 6000rpm redline. That's a FINE powerband.

Edited by SATAN

I have a f59 block with a p90 head and 1mm headgasket head is all stock and block too ..im gonna be running megasquirt and. The 440 injectors. Also have the p42 intake bored to 60mm throttle body ...what else do u need information. Wize

Well, if your complete lower end is stock, then I can't imagine people make more than 400-500 on the stock L series blocks. I am a VG30 guy myself, so I don't know much about the L series but I still don't think it will hold more than that turbo will make. Basically, that turbo seems like a good match for your current situation.

Even if you were to build the engine for high HP levels, I would still start with that turbo to see how you like the feel of 400+whp.

Also, it says it is a stage 3 turbine, but it does not mention the A/R ratio on the turbine housing. So, that could change things slightly, but I imagine it is the typical .63 A/R.

I would use a msa turbo stage 1 cam or at least use a NA cam which has 8 more degrees on the intake, which will give you 500 more useable rpms. get a cam from a 76 -80 N47.

my stage 3 turbine wheel doesn't build full boost until 3500.

I made the same mistake.

"upgraded" to a bigger turbo with the stock cam. (T04B-H3/T3 stage 3)

made it a dog under 3500 and only pulled hard to 5000 (not fun)

so, added a bigger cam (mas stage 1 turbo) and now it pulls to 6500 which is nice.

car is faster with the bigger cam and turbo, but I do miss the low rpm torque of the stock setup. low rpm torque is fun on the street. (for me).

If I had to do it all over again. I would use the NA cam with a stock turbine and a T04E-50 trim with a 1/2" spacer.

Early Dual Carb L20A Cam, JDM T-3 0.48 Hotside A/R, TO4E-50 Trim Compressor, Triple 44 Mikuini Blowthrough with knockoff HKS box...

People would get in the car telling me how they 'don't like turbos because they don't have linear power delivery and don't rev like an N/A' and when I launched at 3000 clutch dump to a modulated 17psi boost at 1700rpms and up they would keep asking "This is Turbocharged? This is Turbocharged? This is Turbocharged?"

Dyno operator who smoked my clutch got it to 60mph in 4th gear (3.36 rear gear, you do the math!) on a Clayton In-Ground Dyno, punched the load button when he floored it and POOFED my clutch. "I never seen a turbo come on that hard before, I was expecting to pull to 3500, 4000 before it made boost like that!" (0-17psi in the blink of an eye!)

"I liked the low-end torque, too!" :lol:

And with that L20A cam, it would zing like a shortie stroke N/A Stocker to 7000 no problem. Power was good to 6500. It really surprised some people! Especially new Z32TT owners looking for their 'first kill' with their hot new car right off the lot! :P

Edited by Tony D

My boost threshold for 17psi was before 2000rpms. Light cruise on the highway would give me 3 psi at even very little throttle input (light flywheel). If I punched it in 5th gear at 50mph I would get full boost instantly half throttle was full boost territory...been a while since that was on there but somewhere around 30% or above would get me full boost at highway speeds. I didn't like the 3.36 because I would seriously be lugging the engine at 40-45mph in 5th gear and could make full boost then as well. The cam came on like a stocker at 3000and would start actually pulling harder then...like a much larger n/a motor with a cam. For a car with a five speed it made driving pretty easy--like a V8, just mash the pedal to pass someone, no downshift, no fuss. "Squirt and Move" was what I called it. All that and still getting 17mpg in daily driving....though I could get 5mpg as well! :P

With a modified turbine outlet and the newer technology exhaust wheels, I'm thinking it would breathe even better now and not suffer as much from backpressure in the manifold. I never measured it, but given that the modified T-3 0.63 AR hotside on JeffP's engine was generating equal backpressure as intake boost at 7000rpms I'm thinking that a 0.48 AR hotside would be surprising if dialed in correctly.

I'm thinking this is the way I'm going on the red 2+2 for my wife. Should make a good setup and with a small cam and unported head should be a nice daily driver.