HybridZ

Market Price of RB-Zs

dwarlick

Are the value of our RB-Zs more than we realize? KnuckleDusters RB25de sold for $14,300 on ebay yesterday. Granted he hasn't got paid but he had $10,500 on it in the classified section for over a week w/no takers. Also an incomplete RB25 project on ebay didn't sell but the reserve was above $34,600.

• Like 1

That one that was on eBay that ended at 34,600 with reserve not met was BS there is no way. Now everyone is going to think there z is worth a million. Now parts are going to more and the fun will be gone. Just wait you will see alot mote on eBay for tons of $$$$ and parts will be out of site. I have had my z for over 16 years and parts were cheap now just wait.

Just like the 1 million dollar 1970 hemi cuda vert

This is BS

Edited by pat1

It appears the auction for the RB25 may have been ghost bid, but I also don't doubt that he has at least that in it. It was an extensive build with alot of high end parts. Also, there is no need for the hostile tone pat1 I was simply posing a question. Knuckle's sale price was 36% higher than the price he was asking for on Hybridz which is a significant difference and I thought was an interesting point of discussion in a forum on life support.

I think that there is nothing anyone can do to prevent someone from selling something at a ridiculously high price (not saying knuckle`s car was priced to high) its all a matter of what someone is willing to pay for the car . People with loads of money would buy anything at any price anyway but for an average Joe its all about asking yourself would I be better off doing the whole build or buying the car already build for me. I know for sure that my RB26Z when its done and (if I was out of my mind) if wanted to sell it it wouldnt be for under 30k with all the time and the parts "I" think its worth that. Plus you cant blame Knuckle's to try and make a little more money .

Edited by Wedge

Sorry Dwarlick no hostile tone here. I just think it's BS for a rbz going for 36k and not even running.

There is nothing wrong with making money. If I was to sell mine I would want to get as much as I could. Just wait now you will see every Joe blow trying to get top dollar. And that will drive the parts up. Just look at the American muscle cars. I remember not to long ago that you could pick up a nice mustang,gto,Nova SS roller for cheap and now you can't touch a rust bucket for less than 10k

Edited by pat1

Sorry Dwarlick no hostile tone here. I just think it's BS for a rbz going for 36k and not even running.

There is nothing wrong with making money. If I was to sell mine I would want to get as much as I could. Just wait now you will see every Joe blow trying to get top dollar. And that will drive the parts up. Just look at the American muscle cars. I remember not to long ago that you could pick up a nice mustang,gto,Nova SS roller for cheap and now you can't touch a rust bucket for less than 10k

This is very true for muscle cars we even saw something like that in Canada when Drifting started being more popular. Rust buckets 240sx and corolla's going for ungodly amounts of money but now it stabalized. I dont know about the situations of muscle car but i think it will balanced out in the end The S30 is so rare that it wont be as popular as muscle cars rusted Z's are mostly worthless unless you have the money to fix it but a rusted 69 mustang is still very reusable since the steel is of better quality. I dont know what to think of this im not sure it will raise the prices that much maybe for Z's but not for RB parts they are already mainstream so price are already where they at.

I think the DIY nature of people on HybridZ makes us under cut our own work. I could see how you would think that price is too high but add it up:

Good Z candidate - 5-7K

Chasis work and paint - 10-15k

Built RB25 - $7k

Arizona Z stuff - $10k

Thats 32-39k at least. I know if I sold my RB26 for less than $40k I would lose money. And I remember before I started I thought I could do it for less than $20K

Anything with wheels or boobs will cost you money. Like I was telling my wife my z is a money pit. I will never get what I Have in mine. And don't plan to.

I don't look at my project cars as a investment if I did I would be a poor man lol.

Edited by pat1

I don't think that any RB25 converted Z sales will drive the price of any parts up... it's too small a niche to affect the entire aftermarket and used parts market. I think Z's in general have been going up in value, but most of us have already put way more than the car is worth (monetarily) into it. If it were about money, I don't think this site would even exist.

If it were about money, I don't think this site would even exist.

Very true....I doubt any of us build our Zs with the intention to simply flip it for a profit. You almost never get back what you invest in aftermarket automotive parts anyway.

I think it is simply like any commodity, if there is enough people interested and enough emotion the prices rise until it all calms down again. Knuckle's car is awesome but I think the final sale price is a result of the ebay effect. If you look at the bit history 3 people drove the price up 2K in the last day. He probably would have accepted the earlier guys offer of 12k had it not been an online auction.

A few spiked sales won't affect the overall market. The 'market' is only what people are willing to pay, no more/no less.

Knuckeduster's car was very clean and the conversion looked practically OEM (well except for the radiator hose having to cross back to the other side) and someone simply wanted it bad enough to bid what they did on that particular day.

Anyone see the totally cherry original low mile early Z on Barrett-Jackson early this year (or late last year - my memory is slipping with old age)? It only went for around $12k, so I don't think the mainstream collector value for Z's (even RB-Z's) is in any danger of going thru the roof anytime soon!

I think it's pretty rare for anyone to get out of their Z what they've put into it, unlike the classic American muscle cars where you can buy a rusted shell for $10k, put another $30k into restoration and still profit from it at Barret-Jackson or just on EBay.

Then you have idiots like the guy on Craigslist here in San Diego a few weeks back trying to get $50K for his 1981 Turbo ZX! Yeah, they can be nice but I don't think there's a sucker out there dumb enough for that deal.

Edited by BenJammin

The Z on BJ's auction was a 1974 260z, not a Series 1 240z. That is a huge difference in the collectible market. Pristine, low mileage, low vin show room early Series 1 240z's can go for over $50,000; if a Series 1 they can fetch over $30,000.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31271&highlight=50,000

Edited by ktm

Okay, it was lot#319 last year and the price was higher than I thought, but only $16k

A search for "240Z" at their site only returned up a handful of early Z's and the highest was $22k (a 'performance restoration' i.e. heavy mods and show car level restoration). Everything else went for $16k or less.

Here's the search:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/archivecarlist.aspx?year=&make=datsun&model=240z

But I would be very interested in seeing a link that shows a Z went for $50k :blink:

[...and not an original JDM low production ZG like your link referenced]

Edited by BenJammin

I paid $150 for my car(8/74 early style 260z) and $1700 for a complete RB25det drive-train and I still have +$11,000 in parts alone(I have a log book). I did all the work myself. I believe I have about 65 hours into the swap(could easily be another $5000 for those hours as it was almost exclusively specialized fab and wiring). Ive got a good running/driving car. I probably couldnt sell it for $15,000, but I still wouldn't sell it for even $30,000.

I sold mine for 18K to a guy in Guam. I had 16K in parts. Drove it for 2 years and had a blast in it. It was a RB20 swap. Starting a new build now w RB26. Just thought I would post this for your own info. The Zs are worth alot of money if they are restored properly. Just throwing a motor in an older unrestored car shouldnt bring much money. You really should be paying for the quality of the restoration.

Just my 2 cents worth.