HybridZ

My Love of a Dying Breed

Gollum

here in british columbia, we have identical smog laws to california (we even use the same dynos, except we have 4wd ones). all cars must also go thru them, no exemptions, unless it has collector status (hard to get). the secret is to learn how to out smart them. my car has 10.8:cr and a lumpy cam. stock ecu (soon to be changed) i used to unplug one of the injectors to make it run right as i have it basically tunned for extra fuel high up, so it fails on idle every time. i also install a cat. my car doesnt need one, but i need it (get it really hot). retard the timing way down, and run 1 liter methyl hydrate. over inflate your tires for less dyno drag. its alot of extra work, but i would never stop owning a s130 just due to smog laws. there are ways around them when your a mechanic

Oh trust me, I'm probably more capable than most , even compared to people here, for "out smarting" the laws. This is mostly because I know the laws so well, which most people here in CA don't.

Pulling a single injector would actually make you fail here in CA, our tests are that stringent. Adding "more fuel up top" causes more fuel to flow through every injector. Pulling one injector will cause that cylinder to just stop working, making it run on 5 cylinders. Our cars DID come with CATs here in CA, and not only are they required, but they have to be the right TYPE now, CA specific CATS. We can no longer legally buy aftermarket CATS, and have to find special OEM CATS which are more expensive. We also can't vary the timing more than 3 degrees from stock spec. We also have an EVAP test which pumps nitrogen into your gas tank to look for vapor leakage. If your system leaks a certain percentage of nitrogen, then you fail. If you change ANYTHING in the air/fuel delivery and they find it, you fail. This means even an unapproved air filter box. This means even a fuel rail, which won't actually change the air/fuel mixture. This means even if you hooked up a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold, they have the right to fail you.

A few years ago it wasn't so bad, because little things the smog stations would let slide, because they knew it wasn't a big deal. But the state has gotten worse and worse about removing people's smog licenses for petty little things. They now TRACK cars that have failed in the past, and go to the stations that seem to be passing cars that failed previously, then conduct sting operations putting cars through that they know have "X" issues to see if they fail it or not. If they don't catch what's wrong, then they can have their license removed for life. The issue here is that it's made other smog stations scared, and they're all on their toes now, failing just about everything that seems suspicious.

We might have a similar "test" to you guys up north, but our smog laws fill gigantic books with thousands of pages dedicated to it all. Even the state smog referees can't possibly know all the little laws, despite they being the exact people in charge of enforcing the laws nobody else can. Even they resort to looking things up constantly to verify the laws. The more I learn about our laws here, the more I'm convinced there's no place in the country as strict.

BTW, I'd love to see one of your smog result papers to see what the requirements are in british columbia for a S130, because I know here in CA, even a brand new S130 right off the lot probably wouldn't pass the test without a CAT.

Sticky, My 81 2+2 weighs about 2600 pounds with almost all fluids, no AC, stock tires and almost completely gutted with 2 sparco seats(no rears).

Pretty sure I could get it down even more if I decide to take out the heater stuff and custom Aluminum dash

forgot to add I love having a rear wiper, power windows and mirrors and a heating system that works(compared to my 260z)

Edited by BluDestiny

i should find one for ya. but we go to a goverment center not a independant shop. they dont open the hood here, they used to but the public got up in arms and they had to stop. they test our gas cap to start with with a vacuum tester, that is our evap test. they plug in the obd on newer cars to check for codes, even if you have the light disabled, they wont pass you if you dont have at least 3 world cycles on the ecu after clearing. they do a cat visual, but aftermarket cats are o.k. as they do work the same. mine has flanges and is taken when not in use, just to keep it fresh because of cost. newer cars get dyno'd on up to 100kph, on a varying rpm range tp simulate driving. older cars just go 40kph, then idle for all cars.pulling the injector works well for bosch type systems, ive proven it with customers car time and time again. it creates a bit of an air pump scenario, even on stock sytems. you need to bump the idle up to 1000 and it idles rough, but the readings show it works. if i was in cali with those new laws it would be very tough to pass as they actually inspect things. but if racers can plumb and hide nitrous in roll cages there must be a way. our system was based on what looks to be the now old cali system. we dont have the volume of cars here so they are actually thinking of shutting down emmisions testing. new cars of 7 years and newer dont have to go, and 92 and up get tested every 2 years. not many are around 92 and under. like you its too much of a pain for people to keep them. its sad to hear that you will get rid of your s130, but at least you have a s30, and that i can also appreciate very much

I Too share the Love for the Less wanted ZX Breed. If people only gave it a chance they could see how awesome the car really is. Only problem i see is that most of the people i see on the street driving a zx are old and the car is beat to a pulp! Give to the right set of hands the car is amazing! PurepontiacKid, your Stance is Awesome! Ive yet to see another slammed ZX!

Anyways here's the Love of my present Life Zoe! =D

JCCS2010-209_NissanFairladyZ_Datsun280ZX_S130.jpg

JCCS2010-207_NissanFairladyZ_Datsun280ZX_S130-560x373.jpg

35330_140615055950404_100000057313398_419791_4557663_n.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

needs more wheel...ditch those xxr's for the rotas and fill out those wells, and most of us that like our cars dont slam them because we dont want to screw up the nice body, like your front lip that got broken off. But then again when the whole passenger side of the car is crushed in, the floors/rails being repeatedly raped by scraping doesnt really matter now does it...

whats the difference between XXR's and ROTA's ? and for that mater performance superlites. they are all practially the same design so should be as good as each other although word of mouth seams to say that the order of quality is 1st superlites 2nd ROTA 3rd XXR but there isnt any prof...

i would love superlites in 15x10 0 to -20 offset for my S130 as long as they clear Z32 brakes on a S13 spindle/hub its all good :>

needs more wheel...ditch those xxr's for the rotas and fill out those wells, and most of us that like our cars dont slam them because we dont want to screw up the nice body, like your front lip that got broken off. But then again when the whole passenger side of the car is crushed in, the floors/rails being repeatedly raped by scraping doesnt really matter now does it...

My cars not slammed. Its at a decent ride height for me daily driving it in the jacked up streets of LA. And my front lip just so you know was the work of some hater in Valenica that kicked it in. How do i know? his big ass foot print was on the piece that was barely dangling on LOL I am thinking about some other wheels already tho.

My cars not slammed. Its at a decent ride height for me daily driving it in the jacked up streets of LA. And my front lip just so you know was the work of some hater in Valenica that kicked it in. How do i know? his big ass foot print was on the piece that was barely dangling on LOL I am thinking about some other wheels already tho.

That's messed up. I actually spoke with you at JCCS. Wicked S130. Enjoy it dude B)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat, I had put my zx on "non-op" because I still don't know what to do with it yet. But I am partying it out slowly. If by the end of next year that I find a job out of state and still have my zx, I'll properly take it with me because its rust free and I have so much history with it. Yet, I still hated our state for many other reasons beside our smog law!

Edited by ben280zx

I love s130s and anyone else who doesn't like them, fine more parts for me! I actually like the looks of the car stock but the front does leave a bit to be desired IMO but once I get money back into my account a new msa air dam with brake ducts will be going on. I would love to see a set of volk te37's on one just because I think those rims can even make a pinto look mean but cost $$$. Turbo swap for now until I can get my hands on a nice RB or 7m engine then life will be great. Also a nice thing is around where I live is a bunch of fiero fanatics and my z can embarrass a lot of the stock NA models, just need my turbo completely in to start hunting the ones with v8 Cadillac boat anchors. Also Suspension in the rear is kind of soft for my liking I heard of some people swapping s13 suspension in would that do the trick?

Also Suspension in the rear is kind of soft for my liking I heard of some people swapping s13 suspension in would that do the trick?

From my understanding the S13 suspension has a lot of similarities to the S130's. I've heard of people swapping in S13 suspension into S30's but not S130's. Seems like a lot of work, but who knows. A simple search on here might yield a lot of results.

Well I did see a thread on here about modifying the sleeves on a set of s13 coilovers from I think Megan racing, so I know it's been done. All I was asking is if anyone knew if swapping in a stock set of s13 struts in the back would make an ok budget mod to hold me over until I can afford a better set