HybridZ

American Top Gear on History Channel

wigenOut-S30

Dan Neil is IMO the BEST automotive writer ever. He used to write for my local paper and I would wait for his column every week. Then the bozos at the paper fired him for some undisclosed reason and he went to LA and won the Pulitzer!

If he can translate his sophisticated writing style and humor to a TV show format they would have a winner.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeaa... Smoking Tires/Farah is NOT a car guy.

I mean REALLY, The Fake Ferrari screams moden unibody w/struts. Car guys that REALLY like cars look at the assembly of parts and not just the image in 2 dimensions. I spotted the fake in 2 dimensions, It would have just BLARED OUT FAKE FAKE FAKE Ferrari the moment you opened a door.

That Smoking tires dude is just regurgitating the stuff he reads in car magazines, He has no idea what makes a car a car. He is NOT a car guy. He is just a wannabe TV star who could have just as well been talking about Ginzu knives.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeaa... Smoking Tires/Farah is NOT a car guy.

I mean REALLY, The Fake Ferrari screams moden unibody w/struts. Car guys that REALLY like cars look at the assembly of parts and not just the image in 2 dimensions. I spotted the fake in 2 dimensions, It would have just BLARED OUT FAKE FAKE FAKE Ferrari the moment you opened a door.

That Smoking tires dude is just regurgitating the stuff he reads in car magazines, He has no idea what makes a car a car. He is NOT a car guy. He is just a wannabe TV star who could have just as well been talking about Ginzu knives.

I watched the first three seconds when they got to the "re bodied ferrari" and even just looking at the shape of the door you would know, not to mention that almost the entire rear half of the car is completely different.

Also not to mention you can distinctly hear an L-series...

On a third note, doesn't that steering column and ignition key placement as well as the plastic trim piece and turn signal/wiper stalk look like a datsun?

Fourth, They even acknowledged the infamous exhaust/gas smell! (probably from the tripple carbs and no evap system.)

They even used 240z seatbelts!!!!! :blink:

Holy crap there is even a 240z tail light cover in the back!!!

And even shoulder belts that just happen to be right behind where the 1/4 window was removed and right above the rear shock tower that isn't supposed to exist!

Edited by hoov100

Their challenge races are getting tough to swallow. How setup was that race between the Honda and the mountain bikes last night? It's a mockery of the real thing. This trend is not boding well for the show. They are setting up shots during the "races" to get attractive camera footage as a compensation for lack of content. Sad. The rest of the show is slightly improved. They need to work on making the chases at least feel more realistic. Are we watching a bad thriller or a bad documentary?

Their challenge races are getting tough to swallow.

You NEVER had that problem with the BBC version? Watch the Ford Raptor vs Halo parachutist guy and then watch the BBC version vs Red Devil guy, and compare 8:12 to 14:32. The whole thing is basically a carbon copy, right down to end of the race. It really is the same show, but the Brits do it in a little more polished fashion. The fact that it is contrived as all hell doesnt bother me that much. It's entertainment, not a documentary.

TGBBC

TGUSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3eNDcWpL60

I am happy to hear about the new Carolla show, but I just hope that Farah d-bag doesn't ruin it for me.

I have only seen a few of the Brit versions of the show. Probably only the great ones, like Bolivia, and the Moped races, and a bunch of internet clips. I suppose they have their low points as well.

Edited by cygnusx1