HybridZ

What Tail lights Would Work on a 240Z ?

Sleek Z

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, gang, here's a new spin on this long discussed topic, make your next set of custom Z tail lights out of coffee mugs!

taillightmug_red.jpg

Even though I haven't had time for awhile to update my popular "Custom Z Car Tail Light section" ( http://zparts.com/showcase/taillight_showcase/index.html ) at ZPARTS.COM , I have been continually active looking for off the shelf lenses and customizing components that I could use to mock up some customizing ideas to test fit to two Z car projects that I am slowing working on.

During my search I ran across a supplier for these really great looking "Tail Light" Travel Mugs and decided to buy up a supply to cut down and light for experiments. What da'all think, any potential to cut these down to assorted lengths, maybe using chrome trim ring as added decoration and glue on complimentary matching tail light plastic section ends to get some kind of interesting effect?

Oh, and btw, I purchased enough of these great looking, non spill mugs, that I am also offering them for sale at ZPARTS.COM while supply lasts. If any of you want to buy up quantity, I'll give you a substantial discount over my single mug price. Llink to AD page is at http://zparts.com/ads/specials/specials1.html

I was thinking about this thread' date=' and the first thing that popped into my mind was CORVETTE. Ok, not the new style, but these:

[img']http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/b0/d0/3b_1_s.JPG[/img]

73 vette

b3_1_s.JPG

74 vette

1a_1.JPG

77 vette, no whale tail

I'm pretty sure the second two are glass. Is it possible for me to hack, slash, and patch the glass 'till it fits on a 240? Or would I have to get all new glass?

You mean like this: http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=33744&highlight=corvette

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading article in Motor Trend about Ford GT, and i though that those tail lights will be looking good on 240z,downside on this those light will be expencive.Maybe anyone can use photoshop and create such picture?

Guest 240ZZ4

I am working on 86 300zx Tail lights, I stole them off my junker, the wiring is the same just have to jump one set of pins, they fit almost prefectly except for the bottom black strip (powersaw that off) then drill new holes in the back and you have the fattest ass EVER ^^

• 1 year later...

Nov 27, 2005 Annoucement: The "Custom Tail light Swap" visual reference page at ZPARTS.COM has been moved to a new webserver URL. Please bookmark if for future reference if you follow this topic thread often.

You can now find a new updated version (10 new photos added) of the "TAIL LIGHTS SHOWCASE" in the sub gallery within the new Z CAR SHOWCASE online visual reference project that I am building at ZPARTS.COM at the following URL.

http://www.zparts.com/showcase/zcsc/default.html

A couple of years ago I started this topic thread. From what I am told, it has long held the all time record for a Topic Thread with the most views and replies at HybridZ Forums. Thanks Guys. Nice to know that therehas been so much interest in this topic.

Due to the great interest in the topic at the time, I created a visual reference archive to Z Car Tail light Customizing concepts and ideas to help support this thread. Years later this reference section is still one of the top ten most popular sections on my site so I thought that I better inform this thread that my "Custom Tail light Swap" visual Showcase is now being moved to a new web URL as part of a major reorganization of my parts selling business website and other personal future goals.

Again, the direct URL to the Z CAR SHOWCASE is

http://www.zparts.com/showcase/zcsc/default.html

Hope you find the the my new Z CAR SHOWCASE a useful reference source for future Hybridz forum discussions.

Enjoy

Dang Eric. I actually dislike every single tail light conversion on that page. Please post Dan's tail light conversion on your Tail Light showcase so I can have something nice to look at when I go there! ;)

Even the 82-83 280ZX tail lights look like junk on that S30. I thought the late model Z31 tail lights would look pretty good, but I was definitely wrong.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the round tail lights. The DeTomasa Pantera lights earlier in this thread looked pretty good though.

Cheers,

WW

• 3 months later...

toecutter has done this in his 260z, and i believe he said it only took a couple of hours!

i on the other hand am wanting to put in some r33 skyline series 2 lights off the 4 door ones...basically r32 lights but not as common, so something different

http://viczcar.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=306

just need to stick them together properally and fibreglass it or something, and cut out the bit of metal between the reverse and brake lights bit

i was planning on putting in these black 240sx tail lights i bought a short while back, but i just bought Z4 tail lights. ill post some hold-up pics once i get them on wednesday. not really sure how well theyll fit, but i saw a Z4 the other day when i was riding home and i thought damn those might look good on my z. when i got home i found a REALLY good deal on ebay for some 2005 OEM lights with bulbs, had to get them. was also thinking i could kinda tilt them down on the inner sides just a bit to make them look "angry". if these Z4 lights work out, ill have some nice brand new black-housing, red-light 240sx tail lights for sale, with center bar.. but that wont fit on a z. comments?

can the metal housing around the lights on a 240z fit on a 280z? i know the wiring would have to be changed a little to work on 240z lights but does the metal housing around the lights need to be modified in anyway? i wouldnt think so since its the same rear (i think). but i want to make sure before i try to switch the lights on my 280

i was planning on putting in these black 240sx tail lights i bought a short while back, but i just bought Z4 tail lights. ill post some hold-up pics once i get them on wednesday. not really sure how well theyll fit, but i saw a Z4 the other day when i was riding home and i thought damn those might look good on my z. when i got home i found a REALLY good deal on ebay for some 2005 OEM lights with bulbs, had to get them. was also thinking i could kinda tilt them down on the inner sides just a bit to make them look "angry". if these Z4 lights work out, ill have some nice brand new black-housing, red-light 240sx tail lights for sale, with center bar.. but that wont fit on a z. comments?

John Spina of Caspers Electronics has those Z4 lights upside down on the back of his Factory Five Spyder Project. Click here for pictures.

• 2 weeks later...